PDA

View Full Version : Don't know where to start

jackandjill
18-03-2009, 10:09 AM
With my SEF. I have just registered on the Ofsted site and looked at me SEF form and oh my god there is loads.
I really don't know where to start, I have my first children starting next week 3 full times so wanted to get a head start while I have time.

How did everyone get started and did you find it easy or hard to do?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

huggableshelly
18-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I bought Sarah's e-book after struggling for a couple of months

http://www.knutsfordchildminding.co.uk/

Daftbat
18-03-2009, 11:16 AM
I felt like that when i first looked at it. I didn't realise initially about all the sub sections.

Just take it a step at a time and use you guidance to standards book to see exactly whats needed. Also, the SEF help section online is wuite good - it explains in more detail whats needed.

Print it off when you have done it then after a while go through and edit it if you think its necessary. Remember its a working document so you can update it as often as you want.

Hope you get on ok but if you are stuck further am happy for you to pm me and i will try to help.

Pedagog
18-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I have just made a start on my SEF, and i have to say I am as yet quite enjoying it, How sad am I? You can tell that my hubby is away and so I'm up all night and lonely in the evenings.:(

Lady Haha
18-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I felt exactly the same! I also got Sarahs e-book about it. After getting really stressed almost to the point of tears, I limited myself to answering just ONE question per day as just that can take over an hour by the time you have really thought about it and typed it up. I have been ploughing through it for nearly two weeks now, but at least I'm now on the sections about "how well' I do all the things I've already spent hours and hours typing up last week:rolleyes:

Should be finished this time next week:thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
18-03-2009, 11:57 AM
I need to start mine but don't know where or how to start :(

Mouse
18-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Just take a deep breath & start with one section at a time!

I did mine all in a weekend as Ofsted phoned on the Friday to say they'd be coming the following week. I hadn't even started it & almost gave up when I looked at it! At least you have time to do it bit by bit.

I found the online help really useful. Look through for the bits you can answer and leave the rest till later.

Another thing that helped was looking at Ofsted reports online to see what sort of things the inspectors commented on in each section. It gives you an idea of what they're looking for.

sarah707
18-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I agree with the others... one question at a time.

When you get to the later questions, many are duplicated and you can refer back.

Do it on your computer so you can make changes and spell check first, then upload it into the Ofsted system when you are happy.

Sell yourself! It's your chance to say how fab you are! :D

cher25
18-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I havent looked at the sef yet. :blush:

singlewiththree
18-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I bought Sarah's e-book after struggling for a couple of months

http://www.knutsfordchildminding.co.uk/

I bought this too! Can't rate it highly enough. I was completely stuck and its a step by step guide.

bubbly
18-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I've been working on mine for 5 months and that's with Sarah's brilliant ebook :D