PDA

View Full Version : Disability 'toys'???

Lady Haha
17-03-2009, 10:19 PM
I have been ploughing through my SEF and to be honest it has worked in the way that it has thrown up at me the fact that I don't have much in the way of resources about/for disability. I have a couple of books and a few pictures displayed, but thats it! I am covered on all the other inclusion resources.

I know I went looking for stuff ages ago, but it was so expensive I decided to go back to it and never did. Does any one know where I can buy toys aimed at children over 4 that show disability that aren't a complete rip off just because they know us childminders will come and buy them? I remember finding a barbie doll in a wheel chair on ebay back then and she was about thirty quid!

youarewhatyoueat
17-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Playmobil do a wheelchair with a disabled child for a few pounds.

I'm going to try my new toy library that opens on thursday,have you got one close by.

How about making a scrapbook.

Lady Haha
17-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeh, I have just bought the playmobil wheelchair and child off ebay! I just wanted something that would go with toys the kids already play with, like playmobil! They also play with polly pocket, but nothing there and barbies, but the only ones on ebay are in USA and cost a fortune for delivery. Just been looking up Balamory stuff, but even that seems to have gone out of favour now!

Suppose I'll have to buy stuff the kids won't even play with, just to show Ofsted that I have got it:(

miffy
17-03-2009, 11:13 PM
The Happyland hospital has a girl in a wheelchair

Fisher Price Little people school bus has a person in a wheelchair

Have you looked at this website www.equaloppshop.co.uk

Miffy xx

singlewiththree
18-03-2009, 06:52 AM
I have a set of disabled figures, one in a wheelchair, hearing aid, glasses, walking frame I got them off ebay for £8 and mine love playing with them alongside the dolls house.

I also have a wheelchair from happyland

Books such as susan laughs, posters

I'm after a doll wheelchair, my toy library has one, they were £18 in the bear factory but have to wait until I visit the Trafford centre to get one.

angeldelight
18-03-2009, 07:36 AM
You could involve the children in doing a display

Its not just about having toys

You could look for pics on the internet and do a display with the children

We did a lovely display of different people we called it " We are all different but the same "

Angel xx

balloon
18-03-2009, 07:52 AM
You could look for pics on the internet and do a display with the children

We did a lovely display of different people we called it " We are all different but the same "

Angel xx

I did this too! I have a 'world' and all around it, almost holding hands, are children of various ethnic backgrounds and abilities/disabilities. Around the world I have lettering saying "All different" around the top and "all the same" around the bottom. I got the paper dolls and dress up clothes off the internet ages ago, can't remember where from now but I did get the address from this site so it's here somewhere...

It looks pretty cool even though I shouldn't say so myself :blush:

sarah707
18-03-2009, 07:55 AM
this is a good thread :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40&highlight=disability

mandy moo
18-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Argos sell 'little people' i thnink the range is called, they do a bur with achild in a wheelchair, but I think its about £15 ish

huggableshelly
18-03-2009, 09:14 AM
I did roleplay which was so funny.

We worked in pairs, one blind folded the other as a guide, developed trust friendship ans leadership along with experiencing lack of sight.

now its become a regular activity on the lines of blindmans buff with taliered rules to avoid accidents. now the child has a blindfold on, gets instructions 2 steps forward etc and those waiting to be found are not allowed to move. takes hte fun out of the real game but sooo much safer.

brillminder
18-03-2009, 09:45 AM
i lisited a site earlier that has some free posters you could display, i know not toys but may be of interest :)

Lady Haha
18-03-2009, 11:20 AM
THanks every one! I have done 'learning' experiences like role play and displays etc with the kids and have posters and books about it.

Just wanted a disabled Barbie or Polly Pocket really:( as the kids play with these so much and I know it would really teach them in a fun way. They would end up fighting over her! Which would give them such a sub concious positive image of disabled people. Suppose I'll have to get one from 'Merica then!

MM, maybe little people, but I think they are too old for that now!

angeldelight
23-03-2009, 09:42 AM
THanks every one! I have done 'learning' experiences like role play and displays etc with the kids and have posters and books about it.

Just wanted a disabled Barbie or Polly Pocket really:( as the kids play with these so much and I know it would really teach them in a fun way. They would end up fighting over her! Which would give them such a sub concious positive image of disabled people. Suppose I'll have to get one from 'Merica then!

MM, maybe little people, but I think they are too old for that now!

You could always break off one of Barbies legs ha

Angel xx

avril
23-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Someone on here came up with a great idea, collecting pictures of different children, colours, sizes, glasses, hats, abilities and making a collage but also add photos of your mindees in it and they can have fun picking themselves out and talking about how people are different.

I'm in the middle of collecting pictures now to make one.

Lady Haha
23-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Angel xx

Believe me I had already thought of that!!! But I want the wheelchair really!

I actually got the playmobil kid in a wheel chair and it arrived on Sat so I let my son play with it straight away. I must say, I was surprised at how much he learnt from that little session! He had the kid in the wheelchair, got another one to be his friend who pushed him and looked after him, put him on the playmobil swings and slide etc and even stood up for him against another playmobil kid 'bully'!!!

Pudding Girl
23-03-2009, 07:13 PM

Angel xx

tbh that's not a bad idea actually Angel - no reason why something like that couldn't work, just lop a leg off at knee height or lower arm like the Cbeebies presenter has?

huggableshelly
23-03-2009, 08:49 PM
lol my daughter used to pull the heads off her barbie dolls ... dont think you can go that far to promote disability though!

I do have a teddy breay who's eye got cracked somehow, he wears a patch and he came in really handy when a child i look after needed a patch. I even matched up the eye patch.

I have a cabbage patch doll who wears glasses she is so adorable but i must admit she is mine and only comes out for ocasional story time, her hair is so curly and falls out easy so not really suitable for an every day toy

gegele
24-03-2009, 09:02 AM
:D i had an great idea last week but my hubby thought it would be a step too far.....: you know those doll you can register your own voice, messages, well i thought they'll be perfect for............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......A TOURETTE DOLL!!!!!!!!

what do think mrs Ofsted would said? or can't we include everyone after all??????:D :D :D

Lady Haha
24-03-2009, 01:27 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pedagog
24-03-2009, 01:39 PM
When my little boy was 4 he was fitted with his first hearing aid, before he was fitted I got a teddy and made teddy a hearing aid, very simple and easy. I'll try and find it and take pictures if you want.