PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed please

becki21
17-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi I am new here and wanted a bit of advise please. I have been going through the registration process, completed the ICP, first aid etc. Got mine and my partners CRBs through, and everything else, except the health declaration. I filled that in a after a while got an appointment through ATOS to see their doctor, I went to the appointment and he was so rude and told me I am not fit to childmind. What he is basing this on is, when I was at school I was bullied and self harmed. I haven't done this for over 5 years now but he says the scars would disgust the parents and scare the children. Also about 9 months ago I went to my gp as I was having trouble sleeping and he put it down to stress of loosing our house, etc. But this doctor I saw is trying to say it is depression, that is ongoing from when I was a child and I should never be allowed to work with children. Now I have made a complaint about him and they are investigating, but I have been advised to withdraw my application and re apply in a few months.
I dont see why I should have to because I feel great, I dont have depression and I used to be a nanny before deciding to become a childminder.

What I want to know is, is there anyone else who has gone through a similar thing but are chidlminding.

I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks
Becki

estrelas
17-03-2009, 06:35 PM
no but stick at it x

Can you not get another doctors opinion?

carla
17-03-2009, 06:40 PM
thats disgraceful i cannot believe a dr would talk to someone like that. i hope he gets struck off- stoopid dr.
good luck hon.

sarah707
17-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Who has advised you to withdraw the application?

If it's Ofsted then you should, sadly, follow their recommendations.

At the end of the day they will do what their doc says, they cannot risk doing otherwise. That is why they have put this process in place.

Maybe they are thinking you could continue nannying or work for someone until you have some more experience and things have settled down for you a bit??

I hope this is resolved quickly for you. It must be awful. xx

Chatterbox Childcare
17-03-2009, 07:23 PM
I would make an appointment to see the head of the practice and ask their advice.

We all have off days but these are professionals.

Good luck with your search for the truth

Princess Sara
17-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I self harmed while having PND with ds1. I have huge scars up my arm and was almost sectioned. This was almost 5 years ago. My doctor had no problem with my health decleration.

I would make a complaint to the head of your practice as your doctor is discriminating against your metal state from 5 years ago. This isn't right and your doctor needs further training! Clearly!

Hope things go ok for you.

wendywu
17-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Go and see your MP he is there to help with issues that concern the system and are unfair.:)

Pipsqueak
17-03-2009, 10:18 PM
That is really shocking for a doctor to talk to you like that, really awful.

Could you change to a different doctor or practice.
Nothing more to add apart from i agree with whats already been said
good luck and i hope things pan out

becki21
18-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone thanks for your support.

Just to clarify, it is not my doctor who has said these things, it was the doctor who I was referred to by ATOS (the company who asses the health dec forms). My doctor is happy for me to childmind but Ofsted seem to want to ignore his opinion.

hollyoaksmad
18-03-2009, 06:13 PM
hi i have just had my health dec bak and i a reli upset im in same situation as u preety much bullied at skool etc and they have put on my health dec tht iused 2 try hurt my self not not bad tho but i go councelor and she has wrote my whole lifes history its horible its ur own confidentialty and i feel like i have been 2 honest as im always told :( i just dnt no wat ofted r gona say

becki21
06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for the support, I appealed and got my GP on side and I can now say I am a fully registered childminder. YEY

claireyfairy
07-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Really pleased that it all worked out for you and you have been registered!! Well done for standing up to them! :clapping:

pinklady
07-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm so pleased for you:thumbsup: How else are you supposed to move on if you're not given a chance!

Enjoy your childminding career. :)

Gizmo
07-04-2009, 07:12 PM
well done just shows you can stand up to the big guys (or girls) :thumbsup:

Minstrel
07-04-2009, 07:15 PM
gosh i have only just seen this- how awful for you- glad you've got it sorted xxx

Bitsy Beans
07-04-2009, 07:24 PM
That's really good news :thumbsup:

Demonjill
10-04-2009, 07:29 AM
well done. Thats fab news :thumbsup: