PDA

View Full Version : After school only inspections?

Lady Haha
16-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I haven't had the call yet, but as I was last inspected two years ago and the fact that they can inspect as soon as they like now, I am on tenterhooks!

My question is this:

I look after school age children, I take them to school and I pick them up again and have them til around 6pm. My inspection last time took nearly five hours. I am confused as to when to tell the inspector the best time to come will be? If I say I will be back from school run at 3.30pm, that doesn't leave enough time for the inspection does it? And if she comes early, say at 1pm, when I don't have any mindees here, do I leave her here while I go on the school run:eek:

Could I request that she comes in the school holidays instead or do they not give you that much time to prepare?

I just want to know what to say if I get the call. Last time was a nightmare as I only had one child on roll then and she was flexi and I never knew which days she would be here until the Friday before, so I had to mess the inspector around on that too!

Kes
16-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Not been in that situation so not sure but usually they ask you about the children you have and the times there doing. Then it will be up to the inspector as to what they want to do. They may come and go through your paperwork and then hang around to see you with the children after school.

Kerry.

rickysmiths
16-03-2009, 11:10 PM
No you don't leave her in the house if you go out. They are used to being asked to sit in the car. I would tell her to wear a stout pair of walking shoes and take her on the school run with you. I have a friend who did that and the inspector loved it.

cher25
16-03-2009, 11:47 PM
I only had 1 mindee on the books when i had my 1st inspection last year. She was after school only and i had her from 4.15 - 6pm. My inspector was fine with that and was actually finished by 6 anyway.
Once you explain then if they want to come out after school that's their choice.

huggableshelly
17-03-2009, 07:33 AM
my first inspection was afterschoolies only.

she arrived at 2:45pm and did school pickup with me then stayed until 6pm and talked to parents too.

dont leave an inspector in your home, if she wants to see you before you do school run then either take her with you or ask her to wait in the car.

sarah707
17-03-2009, 08:01 AM
My partner was inspected for after school only.

She came at 330 and left about 6 when they'd all gone.

They should work around you! :D

amirose
17-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Ha ha I am definitely going to make the inspector do the school run with me if she comes after school - its a 15 minute walk each way but takes more like 20 with the kids :laughing:

That kills some of the inspection time nicely :littleangel:

Good luck with everything, you will get a call asking what days & hours you have mindees and they are only really interested in inspecting when you have kids who are in the EYFS at the moment.

devoncm
17-03-2009, 09:18 AM
I only have 1 after school at the moment and shes at the end of the eyfs so they can either come after school or in the hols, ive had inspection before with no mindees here and could only get the one grade, i wnat more this time round

FizzysFriends
17-03-2009, 09:46 AM
She didn't want to come to me because I only had before/after school, she wants to see kids in EYFS group.

Lady Haha
17-03-2009, 11:42 AM
She didn't want to come to me because I only had before/after school, she wants to see kids in EYFS group.

Two of the after schoolies ARE in the EYFS group!

So, you said she didn't want to come and see you??? Is she waiting until you do have kids in the EYFS group then? Just being nosey now!

Thanks for the other replies, I don't want to take her on school run with me!! I drive normally and I wouldn't fit her in the car and I don't want to walk it as it can take up to half an hour sometimes! I hope she can come at3.30pm and stay to meet the parents, that would be good really! They all love me!

FizzysFriends
17-03-2009, 11:44 AM
She asked me to call her, but said she will call back anyway (incase I accidently forget:blush: )

DudleyChildmind
17-03-2009, 02:10 PM
When I was inspected I asked the inspector if she could come around 1pm so we had time to go through the paperwork before going on the school run. She came with me to fetch the children and then we carried on with the paperwork when we got back :)

Lady Haha
17-03-2009, 10:00 PM
When I was inspected I asked the inspector if she could come around 1pm so we had time to go through the paperwork before going on the school run. She came with me to fetch the children and then we carried on with the paperwork when we got back :)

See, now this is what confuses me! When I get back with the kids normally, I am busy playing with them and sorting them all out etc, then I make the tea, then I do homework and then I tidy up,do dishes etc, I don't sit down til they have all been picked up! How on earth am I going to find time to sit down with an inspector going through paperwork? World War 3 would break out amongst the kids here without me to referee!!!:laughing:

Seriously though, how can they expect you to just sit there with paperwork and answer questions when you are busy?

DudleyChildmind
18-03-2009, 06:29 AM
The children that were here at the time were over 8 and they knew that Ofsted were coming and they were quite excited about it. They showed the inspector their work, journals, crafts etc and the inpsector was asking them, and me, questions so it was quite easy. She did run out of time though and she asked if she could take my policies home so she could have a good look through them :)

Chatterbox Childcare
18-03-2009, 06:50 AM
I am with the others on this. Explain it to her and ask if she is able to come in the afternoon and if she comes about 1.30 she can go through all the paperwork without interruption and then watch you with the children after she does the school run with you.