PDA

View Full Version : chickens!!!

Dragonfly
16-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Does anyone keep chickens? I am having a coop built at the moment! need some advice as Im a novice, any will do:)

breezy
16-03-2009, 06:41 PM
NO! not keen on chickens ( unless roast):eek: sorry!

Allie
16-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I want to get some chickens as we always had them when I was little, the main problem used to be foxes trying to get them! they are great fun and some get quite friendly. I used to carry them around! don't think I would do that now but they do need attention twice a day for water and food

Allie

emmadines
16-03-2009, 06:47 PM
i have 10 plus 4 ducks, what do you want to know

Helen Dempster
16-03-2009, 07:40 PM
NO! not keen on chickens ( unless roast):eek: sorry!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jibberjitz
16-03-2009, 07:44 PM
We have kept chickens in the past (just got geese at mo) :D

tara
16-03-2009, 09:07 PM
I have chickens as well 8 including to ex battery ones.Plus 3 indian runner ducks and 3 call ducks.Would not be with out them:jump for joy: there is a site you can join

http://www.omlet.co.uk/homepage/homepage.php

enjoy !:clapping:or just get info from

Ripeberry
16-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I've got chickens. One Maran hen, one silkie cross/Maran (i don't know how they did it either) and two Auracanas that i'm trying to sell as they won't go in the main run as they just climb the fence! :eek:
Some joker from Trade-it left an SMS message on my landline asking if i was still selling the chickens as he was HUNGRY!
Ha! ha! NOT! :mad:

Pedagog
16-03-2009, 11:27 PM
WE have chickens and ducks and have had geese and quail in the past as well, must get the incubator out soon

Dragonfly
17-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Thank you all. Emmerdine, just a bit worried about attracting vermin what can I do to prevent it? worming, mites which are good layers. looked up rhode island reds they say there good layers.Finding good sellers.What i shouldnt do etc, etc, etc!:

gegele
17-03-2009, 08:57 AM
i'd love the fresh eggs in the morning but i'm scared of the chicken!!! lol and they smell a bit my garden is not big enough.... good luck with yours!

mabel
17-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I have ! and have kept them for 20 years have had loads in that time

just bought 2 new ones at the weekend.

I keep mine on our allotment which is over the road from my house, if you are going to have them in the garden you have to be careful of rats,

that is the worst thing about keeping poultry is that they can attract rats
luckily my dog loves to kill them.

But they are great and so are the eggs...........delicious !

emmadines
17-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Thank you all. Emmerdine, just a bit worried about attracting vermin what can I do to prevent it? worming, mites which are good layers. looked up rhode island reds they say there good layers.Finding good sellers.What i shouldnt do etc, etc, etc!:

hi,

just a bit worried about attracting vermin what can I do to prevent it?
I think as longs as you have food nearby there will be rats/mice. the only thing you can do is keep it at bay. I have had the odd visitor but nothing that would cause anyone to worry. I think they say You're never more than six feet away from a rat" . I live in front of a school so our back garden backs onto it. we often hear the kids shouting "look there's some ducks/chickens (depending on which one is closer to the fence at the time)
basically ways to prevent rats is to keep the food in sealed tubs (I use swing bins) clear up any dropped food asap. you could always bring their food bowls in during the eve.

worming, mites
these are normally powder treatment of sprays quiet easy to apply. the vet will provide these, you will need to find a vet that deals with farm animals, you might get the odd domestic vets that will treat them too.

good layers
at some point all breads will stop laying due to moulting of lack of daylight (winter mainly) I mainly have basic browns (think they are ceder rangers or something to that effect, they lay pretty well when not on a moult lol.

try to keep an even number and never add one to a group, hens can be quiet aggressive to a new commer more so if they are on their own. other then they I really enjoy mine, I have 4 babied who are coming up to 4 months old, they are separate at the mo but in the summer holidays we will be introducing them together (will be a bit of a squabble between them)

omlett website as tara stated is a good website but I do find it slow to answer. other then that its good. practical poultry is also a good site to use

FizzysFriends
17-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I keep chickens, in the freezer though

LOOPYLISA
17-03-2009, 12:00 PM
I run a mile if one comes after me, like them in my oven roasted :laughing:

tara
17-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Its a shame you find it slow to answer l have never found that.But you can read through all the posts other people put on.Omlet is a really good starting point.It tells you all the veryday stuff to more pratical.It also tells you about different breeds ans so on.

jellytot
17-03-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

this is a forum I have recently found, they seem to answer quite quickly