PDA

View Full Version : Maximum number of children?

mandysmonkeys
16-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I know we all have our no. of under 8's and then insurance also dictates how many over 8's we can have. But do any of you set a maximum number of children you feel you can have, acroos all age ranges.

The reason I ask was doing a conversation at a toddlar group this morning I was asked what is the most children I can have, there was an ex-childminder there and she got in before me saying its 6 under 8 and no limit over 8, i said there is a limit now due to my insurance and I said its states 12 children alltogether but I wasn't sure if I had to count my own in that.

I said I would care for a maximum of 8 children including my 3 as thats how many I felt comfortable with, any more than that and my house isn't big enough.
After that there was a massive debate on how many children a childminder could care for etc etc, most mums saying their 1 or 2 was more than enough for them to cope with.

essexgirl1967
16-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I think so much depends on the ages and temperaments of the actual children.

I look after 12 children at a time, but only for odd hours. The youngest is my own DS who is a very mature 3 year old and more than holds his own amongst the older school kids.

The others are 5 5-8 year olds, and a further 6 8-11 year olds. It is extremely well organised, and I live very very close to school so no roads to cross etc.

I wouldn't generalise about a set number, but go with the types of children and how long its for. I certainly wouldn't look after a large amount of children if my 6 under 8's included any other under 5's.

Thanks x

Daftbat
16-03-2009, 04:22 PM
You will know what you are comfortable with and as the previous post says is depends upon the children involved. I care for a couple of older kids who i would not bat an eye about accepting at any time regardless of who else was here but i wouldn't think the same about some of the others.

Andrea08
16-03-2009, 04:36 PM
each of us are differend due to experiance and training etc,
i never thought i could cope with more than 4 children now i can manage more children than i ever thought possible, the more the merrier and more motivatted i feel.

go with what is right for you and care for more children when you feel ready x

amirose
16-03-2009, 05:46 PM
I am very new at this job and have no children of my own. I had three kids for the first time in my life last week and I loved it but it did daunt me about doing it all the time. How some of you manage with twelve I just don't know! Ask me again in about 5 years :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

RedDragon
16-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Ofsted does not limit the number of over-eights but will need to be satisfied that the number of over-eights does not adversely affect the care of the under-eights. In addition, the childminder's public liability insurance will state the maximum number of children the childminder may have overall - usually 10 or 12

I have had days where I have happily looked after 10 children and days where I have looked after 3 children and I've been counting the minutes until home time.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Ofsted does not limit the number of over-eights but will need to be satisfied that the number of over-eights does not adversely affect the care of the under-eights. In addition, the childminder's public liability insurance will state the maximum number of children the childminder may have overall - usually 10 or 12

I have had days where I have happily looked after 10 children and days where I have looked after 3 children and I've been counting the minutes until home time.

This is sound advice and I am the same in the holidays and can have 12 at any one time. Saying that the insurance does not include your own as you don't need them insured,

Go with what you are comfortable with and time and experience will increase it

LisaH
16-03-2009, 06:21 PM
The most I have ever had at once is 10 kids and that is as many as I would want regardless of age:)

Chanelle
16-03-2009, 06:25 PM
When i had my inspection last week my inspector said that I would be registered for the full amount of under 8's, one of those is my son. And there was no limit on the over 8's. I said I felt uncomfortable that there was no limit and she said that I could have as many children as I felt okay with. So long as I knew the older children's care didnt affect the Under 8's.

So with that in mind I am keeping my numbers low to start with until I feel comfortable with the 6 under 8's ... I may then up my numbers if I feel okay with it for the Over's.

This is all dependant on what parents and children come forward to me for care... They may be all over 8 and therefore I will only have my 2 yr old son to keep amused ! ... I am now waffling so will shhh !! :laughing: