PDA

View Full Version : What does adhoc mean?

amirose
15-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Ok I know I might be making myself sound self thick here but I really don't know what it means.

Mum has emailed saying she wants to check I am willing to work on an adhoc basis before she calls me but I don't know what it means (and wikipedia confused me more it says its a Latin phrase for "for this purpose" ???)

She says it would vary from 1 - 5 days a week so I am guessing shes saying is it OK if I just pay for the days I use ...

If that's the case what do I do?? I currently have 0 mindees during the day - the little boys 2.

uf353432
15-03-2009, 10:28 PM
adhoc means as and when...

Daftbat
15-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Adhoc means working as and when required - not to a regular contract. I do it with a couple of older school kids who are over eight, or have done with some youngre kids when i knew i wouldn't be needed much. The parent needs to know though that you would ony be able to do it if your numbers allowed on particular days and you will need all the other info for the child even if no formal contract is in place. It a "helping out" strategy really.

Chanelle
15-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Never heard of that phrase either !!

miffy
15-03-2009, 11:16 PM
She says it would vary from 1 - 5 days a week so I am guessing shes saying is it OK if I just pay for the days I use ...

I think that's exactly what she's saying. It's entirely up to you whether you decide to do that or not - it could work well for you if you have no other work but you would be keeping one of your under 5's spaces available for this child every day of the week yet you might only be paid for a few hours. Think about it carefully before you agree

Miffy xx

tulip0803
15-03-2009, 11:29 PM
I have 3 under 8s on ad-hoc contracts. I have got their parent's to sign to say that they understand that I can only offer their child a space if there is one available on the day they want, that I cannot guarantee their children a space and that I cannot offer care if my spaces are full. Both parents were willing to sign this as they only want very occasional minding.

As you have no other children at the minute it could bring in some money for you until you get some permanant contracts. If she wants to guarantee a space then she could pay a retainer for the days she doesn't use or you could agree a minimum each week and then charge extra if the minding hours go over. If you do go down the ad-hoc route make sure that the parent is aware that you have limited space and you cannot guarantee a space for the child if you have contracted children.

Good luck:)

amirose
16-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow thank you for the replies everyone, that's genuinely been very helpful. I have emailed the mum saying I would consider it and could she give me a call to discuss further :thumbsup: I'm glad I posted because the advice you have given me about the contract is invaluable (I doubt I would have come up with it on my own).
Hopefully she does call, I will let you know :clapping:

FizzysFriends
16-03-2009, 09:47 AM
I have an ad hoc, on the understanding I wont hold a space but they only pay when they use me, works well for both parties.