PDA

View Full Version : Heating food?

vix84
15-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I have decided not to supply any meals/snacks - just drinking water. So parents are going to send in meals that they have already prepared, for me to heat up. I did do food hygiene a few years ago, but am going to do a refresher online course soon. In the meantime - can you heat up cooked chicken/meat as long as it is piping hot? And what temperature does it have to be?
What about if a parent sends in chicken and rice?
Is there anything else I shouldnt do?

Im having a bit of panic as I went on a course and was chatting to some Childminders who said you couldnt heat chicken etc. and that we are required to do 18 hours of training a year. Somehow Id missed that part in the EYFS - really need to dedicate a night to re-reading the EYFS!

Princess Sara
15-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Food should be reheated to at least 75 degrees to kill any potential harmful bacteria. You can buy a food probe online if you like to show you're doing all you can to prevent food poisoning etc.

As far as I'm aware there are no foods that you must not reheat, although some are better not to such as pasta which goes mushy, rice as it has different types of bactria and a few others that I forget. As long as the food is cooked appropriatly then you'll be fine with pretty much any meal.

REHEATING OF FOOD
Thorough reheating of food will ensure that bacteria that survive the initial cooking or contaminate the food after cooling will be destroyed.

1. Reheat thoroughly so that a centre temperature of 75°C is reached and held for at least 30 seconds. (Use a probe thermometer to check).
2. If reheating liquids they should be boiled vigorously and stirred regularly.
3. Serve reheated food immediately.
4. Never reheat food more than once, discard left overs.

TO SUMMARISE

Cook Food Thoroughly
Cool Food Quickly (within one and a half hours)
Store Food in Refrigerator
Serve Cold
Reheat Thoroughly
Serve Immediately

Tbh, I've worked in kitchens for years and reheating isn't usually the likely cause of food poisoning, bad cooking methods are; such as not cooking food to the correct temperature, not storing it appropraitly, not cooling it quickly enough before storing.

HTH.

balloon
15-03-2009, 08:05 PM
75*c in England and 82*c in Scotland (not sure about Wales sorry)

Never heard about not heating chicken, I do it regularly so if you're not allowed I'm in big poop!

I personally wouldn't reheat rice at all, but particularly not if somebody else has cooked it - you never know how long it had been at ambient temp (that's when the spores that cause food poisoning multiply) before it was chilled or even if it has been chilled.

Good luck with your refresher course :)

sarah707
15-03-2009, 08:06 PM
There are no statutory requirements stating how many hours training you need for food hygiene.

Having a food hygiene training certificate is good practice and some local authorities are asking for it, but the only Eyfs statutory requirement is to register with your local food hygiene people.

As for re-heating food, it's a really dodgy one ... first you must re-heat vigorously to more than 75c... and it is very good practice to probe and record that temperature. Not just meat, check rice as it's a dodgy one.

Second and most dangerously, you are relying on parents to have cooked and cooled and stored the food properly before it gets to you. They must cook it to more than 75c, cool it rapidly and get it in the fridge before it starts to grow nasties...

And you can bet the vast majority don't have a fridge thermometer never mind monitor and record temperatures like many of us have to if we use 'safer food better business' as part of our food hygiene registration.

I would be tempted to give them information about how to care for food before it gets to you ... a bit like a disclaimer. You can show you are doing all the right things at your house - recording food and cooked food temps, recording fridge temps, getting things in the fridge quickly on arrival etc - but if it's arriving after being out for a couple of hours or not properly cooled, you could be looking at children getting ill :(

vix84
15-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks everyone - I ordered a food probe last week so that should be hear soon. I think I will print out some info. on how to cool food etc. as Im sure most parents aren't aware of the guidelines to follow etc.

rickysmiths
15-03-2009, 09:50 PM
There are no statutory requirements stating how many hours training you need for food hygiene.

Having a food hygiene training certificate is good practice and some local authorities are asking for it, but the only Eyfs statutory requirement is to register with your local food hygiene people.

As for re-heating food, it's a really dodgy one ... first you must re-heat vigorously to more than 75c... and it is very good practice to probe and record that temperature. Not just meat, check rice as it's a dodgy one.

Second and most dangerously, you are relying on parents to have cooked and cooled and stored the food properly before it gets to you. They must cook it to more than 75c, cool it rapidly and get it in the fridge before it starts to grow nasties...

And you can bet the vast majority don't have a fridge thermometer never mind monitor and record temperatures like many of us have to if we use 'safer food better business' as part of our food hygiene registration.

I would be tempted to give them information about how to care for food before it gets to you ... a bit like a disclaimer. You can show you are doing all the right things at your house - recording food and cooked food temps, recording fridge temps, getting things in the fridge quickly on arrival etc - but if it's arriving after being out for a couple of hours or not properly cooled, you could be looking at children getting ill :(

This is why I buy prepare and cook my own food!!!
Rice is a nasty and I would not touch it even if it was to be served cold. I would only prepare this fresh myself.

If you are not prepared to cook yourself I would be inclined to only accept cold packed lunches and keep things simple.

vix84
16-03-2009, 03:07 PM
This is why I buy prepare and cook my own food!!!
Rice is a nasty and I would not touch it even if it was to be served cold. I would only prepare this fresh myself.

If you are not prepared to cook yourself I would be inclined to only accept cold packed lunches and keep things simple.

I dont think I could go back to cooking meals, as I am looking after 3 one year olds, and find it hard enough cooking whilst I have 1!
And all my mindee's will eventually be having lunch and dinner, so as a parent myself Im sure the parents will want them to have a hot meal

hectors house
16-03-2009, 06:04 PM
If parents supply liquidised baby meals I always ask them what the meal is so I can make sure if it is chicken, pork or rice that it is microwaved until it is far too hot for the child to eat for about 10 mins.

The parents always seem amazed I think they just bung it in microwave for about 30 seconds so can feed straight away to hungry, screaming baby.

Once child is over 12 months I generally provide hot meals, then I know how it has been cooked, cooled, frozen or refridgerated, defrosted etc.

I haven't registered with Food Standards yet as we have a dog who lives in the kitchen and I am worried they won't allow me to provide meals - but I think you have to be registered with them even if you only re-heat supplied meals or store lunch boxes in your fridge. Any advice - does anyone else have a dog?

Chatterbox Childcare
16-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I would ask parents for the microwave rice packets that cook in 2 minutes or boil in the bag.

When you do your Food Hygiene they will explain about food being piping hot and for how long.

What are you going to do about snacks if they all bring different? Some parents versions of snacked are biscuits, whilst others are fruit. I can see a few unhappy snack times approaching.

vix84
16-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I would ask parents for the microwave rice packets that cook in 2 minutes or boil in the bag.

When you do your Food Hygiene they will explain about food being piping hot and for how long.

What are you going to do about snacks if they all bring different? Some parents versions of snacked are biscuits, whilst others are fruit. I can see a few unhappy snack times approaching.

Both parents are bringing in bread sticks/fruit etc. and one parent in particular says 'he has to get used to not always having what others have!' but I will also ask parents to send in fruit or breadsticks/cheese cubes and cucumber

Chanelle
16-03-2009, 06:19 PM
You need to do what is best for you and your setting. If you feel re-heating is the best for yours then do the re-heating. If you feel healthy packed lunches is best go down that route.

What I would advise is to do your food hygiene course first then decide what route you will take.

Once you are clear on all the legal requirements on keeping food safe you will be able to make a decision easier.

Food will need to be heated to 75 and held for 30 secs and you will need to probe it to reach the correct temp.

I would prefer parents to provide packed lucnch for my mindees but that is because for me it is the best in my setting.
HTH ! :)

debbiedaycare
17-03-2009, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=hectors house;366163

I haven't registered with Food Standards yet as we have a dog who lives in the kitchen and I am worried they won't allow me to provide meals - but I think you have to be registered with them even if you only re-heat supplied meals or store lunch boxes in your fridge. Any advice - does anyone else have a dog?[/QUOTE]

I had my inspection today and it was far easier than I expected and my 2 small dogs live my the kitchen. The inspector said dogs need to be out whilst preparing/serving/eating food but otherwise fine. She gave lots more recomendations which were useful and maily common sense. The only action was I need to monitor temperature of my fridge and freezer and food when cooked.
We have to register with Environmental Health at our local authority - it is the law and Ofsted will be keen on this one.

Debbie
x

vix84
18-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know where I can find out info. on food preparation and storing guidelines that I can put in a policy for the parents?
I have tried the foodstandards web but it hasnt really got what Im looking for:panic:

sarah707
18-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know where I can find out info. on food preparation and storing guidelines that I can put in a policy for the parents?
I have tried the foodstandards web but it hasnt really got what Im looking for:panic:

everything you need should be in here :D

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/

vix84
18-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks Sarah - I dont have time to watch the videos at the mo. but am going to do a refresher online food hygiene course ....... but in the meantime :blush: what is the correct temperature for fridge and freezers?
Ive been searching for the answer for 10 mins and cant believe that I havent found it yet! All I keep getting is fridges for sale etc. :mad:

sarah707
18-03-2009, 09:19 PM
http://www.kitchenadvice.co.uk/cooling.php4

Fridge between 0 and 6c; freezer -18c

It's not a video hun, it's a file called 'safer food better business'. You can send off for it or download from the website. It contains all the necessary info for keeping records etc. Most local authorities expect you to use it as part of your food hygiene registration. It does depend on where you live though.

hth :D

vix84
19-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that link, I dont know how I managed to get a video come up then lol! I will go back and have another look:)

vix84
19-03-2009, 08:51 PM
This is what I have come up with so far, any comments appreciated of what else to add or edit etc.:)

vix84
19-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Sorry - Ill try again, hopefully attached is my new policy on storing and heating food