PDA

View Full Version : 5-8's minding - what do I need to know?

Willowdancer
15-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I've spent so much time gearing up for under-5's and EYFS that I haven't really thought much about what I need to know for children aged 5 to 8, or even over 8's for that matter :blush:

What do I need to follow for those groups? I have a 7yo and 10yo starting with me full-time over the Easter holidays (and then before and after school after that) and obviously I want to be doing things properly and stay on the right side of the powers that be.

Ali
x

sarah707
15-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Have you got a copy of the Childcare Register requirements?

You need to read, digest and add them to your policies so your policies cover all age groups.

For older children, I do a scrap book each which they are very much in charge of themselves.

I also do a routine to show how much they cover while they are with me. It helps to share with parents especially if they go home moaning they've not done anything.

Apart from that, it's really about encouraging them to join in, finding out what parents think about computer / electronic games and finding out what they want to do. If they want to chill, then fine, but I make sure there is always other stuff available too.

Hth :D

Willowdancer
15-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks Sarah :)

I have just downloaded a copy of the Childcare Register requirements from here: http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Requirements-for-the-Childcare-Register-childminders-and-home-childcarers/(language)/eng-GB

I have things in my policies already that cover tv time, and our games machines etc :) but will go through them again to make sure I've covered all the Childcare Register requirements too now that I'm sure they cover all of the EYFS ones.

I have loads of board games (had a splurge in Argos when they were selling off loads of the Spears games for £2-£3 each), and craft stuff, and if they need to do homework of any sort they can use the kitchen table for that.

And then obviously I will be doing risk assessments anyway for the EYFS side so that's all covered.

So its just scrapbooks and notes about what we've done to worry about then. Phew!! :)

Daftbat
15-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I look after a lot of over eights and find that so ling as you have a good selection of things for them its fine. My lot love baking, arts and crafts, going out to parks etc as well as the mandatory DS's which they bring and DVD's. I find too that they love helping out with the little ones!

Willowdancer
16-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks Penny :) Sorry, I didn't notice I had another reply :blush:)