PDA

View Full Version : Supplying meals

aly
14-03-2009, 11:04 PM
If you supply hot meals for dinner when how do you prepare them??

Do you stand in the kitchen and prepare from scratch or is it something you prepare the night before??? ie family dinner is chicken casserole and you make a batch up ready mindees for dinner next day?

At the mo I don't supply food as mindees mum supplies her food but thought if I start what would be best.

claireLouise
14-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I only provide hot meals during school holidays for lunchtimes and I cook in advance and then freeze the meals until required. I then defrost overnight and reheat in the oven. I also prepare and leave in water the vegetables.

Hope this helps.

Claire

rickysmiths
14-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Exactly that. If I make a family Cottage pie I may keep some for the next day and cook fresh veg. I may cook the cottage pie while the children are asleep use some for them and the family eat in the evening. I also have a few meals (home made) in the freezer as standbys.

Last Friday I knew we would go the the Grimsby Fish man when we were in town so I peeled some potatoes and preped some veg before we went out. When we got home the children had 20mins of CBeebies while I cooked the fish and veg for their lunch and the family had fresh fish pie for dinner.

I use the slow cooker quite a lot as well.

I do cook a hot measl for lunch every day though and one for dinner for a few of the mindees. The only time I don't is if we go out for the day and eat out or have a picnic.

Daftbat
14-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I generally cook meals from scratch as required. If i get he chance to do some advance prep then i do it or as above i will make extra as a family meal for use the next day.

Roseolivia
15-03-2009, 08:04 AM
I provide hot meals for tea as the children are with me till 5.30. I either use the slow cooker, cook on the afternoon while mindee at nursery (chilli, casserole etc) or cook when we get in from school and the children either watch tv, play or do an activity.

huggableshelly
15-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I stopped hot meals as it took too much of my time that should be spent with the children.

miffy
15-03-2009, 08:20 AM
If you supply hot meals for dinner when how do you prepare them??

Do you stand in the kitchen and prepare from scratch or is it something you prepare the night before??? ie family dinner is chicken casserole and you make a batch up ready mindees for dinner next day?

Both! Depends how much time I have. I often prepare food before the mindees come and put in the slow cooker for tea time

Miffy xx

sparkibobs
15-03-2009, 08:27 AM
I make homemade soup on the day, home is open planned so I can keep an eye on the los. Or sometimes I do it while they are painting. If I make a family meal I'll sometimes make more and use the next day or if I'm up really early I'll make it before they come. Whatever fits in with them really.
x

singlewiththree
15-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I've just bought a chest freezer and storage tubs so I can make loads up in advance and even my family will be eating it. I plan to take it out the night before and let it defrost and give the mindees a bit and the rest to my family. Obviously some things have to be cooked from scratch like pasta but I just get them involved in something first.

busylizzie
15-03-2009, 09:48 AM
lunches are something quick and easy.........beans/scrambled or boiled egg on toast,soup,cold tuna pasta salad,hot pitta pockets etc that I prepare at the time.Children either help by preparing table etc or drawing on a table nearby (not literally!)

Tea is a reheated portion of what we had as a family for dinner the day before or something simple like pasta or jacket pots. The children often help a bit ie mushing the potato, sprinkling on the cheese etc if that makes sense!

ORKSIE
15-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I provide hot meals for after schoolers, but only for the ones that stay long enough to eat it (between 5~6pm) otherwise its too much of a rush for them.
Lunch is Beans on toast, sandwiches, fruit, quick easy stuff, because of playgroup runs, singing at the Library
(my husband thought that was funny) :laughing: and
toddler groups.
So you need to do what works for you. :thumbsup:

mushpea
15-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I do a hot evening meal for 6 children, my two tend to amuse themseles whilst i am cooking as they are older, the minded children can either play in the living room which is in hearing distance or they can draw or do a simple activity at the kitchen table and the littlys i keep in the same room as me so i can keep an eye on them they have a couple of toy boxes to choose from.
normaly i do things that can go in the slow cooker on oven or be cooked quickly.

sarah707
15-03-2009, 04:54 PM
3 days a week I employ a chef :D

There are up to 11 for tea and it really takes the pressure off. He's my partner and registered to work with me.

The other days I bring at least one child into the kitchen with me and get them to help prepare, put things in pans etc.

I also keep it very simple on those days :D

rickysmiths
15-03-2009, 11:19 PM
3 days a week I employ a chef :D

There are up to 11 for tea and it really takes the pressure off. He's my partner and registered to work with me.

The other days I bring at least one child into the kitchen with me and get them to help prepare, put things in pans etc.

I also keep it very simple on those days :D

Now you are showing off now Sarah!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can we all borrow him for different days of the week. I'm sure we could plan a good circular route!!!!!

mandy moo
16-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I make homemade soup on the day, home is open planned so I can keep an eye on the los. Or sometimes I do it while they are painting. If I make a family meal I'll sometimes make more and use the next day or if I'm up really early I'll make it before they come. Whatever fits in with them really.
x

You see this where I have a problem, my home isnt open plan.
I am registerd to use the down stairs of my house, but it is 3 rooms, lounge kitchen, dining room. Pus utility room & downstirs toilet
We are suposed to be able to see the children at all times, Yes? so if Im preparing lunch or tea in the kitchen, how can I possibley have an eye on them if they ar playing in lounge? Of course I go in every few minutes to see what they are doing and I can hear them.
Or I guess it just using your common sense and doing the above?

mandy moo
16-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Or then again I could make Hubbie work even longer hours so I too could employ a Chef, Cleaner, Gardner, Odd job man etc etc :laughing: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
16-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Slow cooker :thumbsup: