PDA

View Full Version : Africaan children

christine e
14-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi

I have looked after two children from South Africa for a few years now (both born in SA), and I have been meaning to start a SA resource bag for some time now well it now looks very likely that I will be looking after another two children who are family friends of the two I already care for but these two were born in the UK to Africaan parents so now I really want to get on with that resource bag. Any ideas where are can source stuff from. I would like to get a SA flag, maybe a springbok cuddly toy any ideas and suggestions where I could obtain items would be greatly appreciated.

Cx

Pipsqueak
14-03-2009, 09:05 PM
hopefully Jenni will see this, she is from SA so I am sure can give you lots of advice.

How about asking the children - who better to ask?:D Ask them to teach you

ajs
14-03-2009, 09:13 PM
my best friend is from SA and i'm her baby's god mother
i will aske her to source some stuff for you christine
hopefully you will meet her soon she is registering to be a CM just waiting her certificate and i will bring her to some trainings ( if there is a place i'll bring her to the Makaton one)

ajs
14-03-2009, 09:14 PM
the other thing is have you thought of contacting the embassy for some resources

christine e
14-03-2009, 09:21 PM
my best friend is from SA and i'm her baby's god mother
i will aske her to source some stuff for you christine
hopefully you will meet her soon she is registering to be a CM just waiting her certificate and i will bring her to some trainings ( if there is a place i'll bring her to the Makaton one)

Thanks Mandy that would be great. I know that the APTCOO workshop is fully booked but someone may drop out.

Cx

miffy
14-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Anything on the Oxfam website? Or in their shops?

Miffy xx

christine e
14-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Anything on the Oxfam website? Or in their shops?

Miffy xx

Thanks will take a look

Cx

Zoomie
14-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Afrikaans children ... sorry had to correct that.

I am SA born, and suggest ebay for a flag. Best bet is to get the parents to supply you with a few bits. Perhaps PM me your location and I'll tell you if I know of a South African shop nearby.

We are able to get boerwors (sausages), pap (maize meal), ouma rusks, green cream soda drinks, fizz pops and chappies (sweets & chewing gum) to name but a few from our local ones.

Also perhaps you can get parents to teach you to say basic greetings. I could write some down for you here, but pronouniation is quite difficult to explain.

HTHs

miffy
15-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Also perhaps you can get parents to teach you to say basic greetings. I could write some down for you here, but pronouniation is quite difficult to explain.

HTHs

Or could you do a tape recording and send it to Christine?

Miffy xx

ajs
15-03-2009, 09:12 AM
either that or i could bring laren round to meet you she will almost definately be at the extravaganza with me
she is from Jo'Burg and three of her children were born there too

miffy
15-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Good idea! :D

Miffy xx

christine e
15-03-2009, 07:24 PM
either that or i could bring laren round to meet you she will almost definately be at the extravaganza with me
she is from Jo'Burg and three of her children were born there too

Oh that is great Mandy - I do ask the parents for odd words but I'm thinking about the new baby if he def comes the others were older when they started this one will be 7 months

Cx

christine e
15-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Afrikaans children ... sorry had to correct that.

I am SA born, and suggest ebay for a flag. Best bet is to get the parents to supply you with a few bits. Perhaps PM me your location and I'll tell you if I know of a South African shop nearby.

We are able to get boerwors (sausages), pap (maize meal), ouma rusks, green cream soda drinks, fizz pops and chappies (sweets & chewing gum) to name but a few from our local ones.

HTHs

Wow just been on e bay there are loads of flags - have pm you with my location. I think there is a SA Family Day listed on a festivals site I have recently looked at. Can you confirm that this is celebrated on the Day after Easter Day?

Thanks for responding

Cx

tinytoescm
22-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi there. I am also from SA and having two kids of my own I try and keep them in the know of SA things.
I also suggest SA food products to try like one person suggested and even let them try Rooibos (Redbush tea).
Wooden instruments like panpipes and flutes fit nicely as they love these and picked up some when i went back home, but you can get "like" ones in ELC. The words idea is great, especially with summer coming. Instead of Barbecue use the word Braai. Instead of yes we say Ya (spelt ja). Morning is said Mora but spelt More. Good bye is Totsiens. Not too hard a words.
Cricket and Rugby are big sports in SA, so focus could be on these with scarves, beanies and introduce Green, Yellow colours.
Safari - thats a big one. My son knows all his animals and goes round the garden with binocs looking for them as if on safari. I got loads of diff material scraps of african animal print eg zebra, giraffe, leopard etc and used this for a variety of art activities and decorating the playroom. We made animal masks etc and my 16 month old goes around growling now... so cute.
Sea life is big in SA and you can swim with sharks, whales and dolphins, so a good way to introduce them to those and penguins.
Flowers - Strilizia and proteas are different and SA favourites and speciality.
Basket stuff is popular and sold all over AFrica so you can make great play things with baskets - sensory baskets or role play picnic baskets, grass handbags.
Only a couple of ideas - hope this helps. Would also love to touch base with other SA Childminders in the UK....

jessie1
22-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi Tinytoes, I am a South African childminder based in Oxfordshire, whereabouts are u?

christine e
23-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Hi there. I am also from SA and having two kids of my own I try and keep them in the know of SA things.
I also suggest SA food products to try like one person suggested and even let them try Rooibos (Redbush tea).
Wooden instruments like panpipes and flutes fit nicely as they love these and picked up some when i went back home, but you can get "like" ones in ELC. The words idea is great, especially with summer coming. Instead of Barbecue use the word Braai. Instead of yes we say Ya (spelt ja). Morning is said Mora but spelt More. Good bye is Totsiens. Not too hard a words.
Cricket and Rugby are big sports in SA, so focus could be on these with scarves, beanies and introduce Green, Yellow colours.
Safari - thats a big one. My son knows all his animals and goes round the garden with binocs looking for them as if on safari. I got loads of diff material scraps of african animal print eg zebra, giraffe, leopard etc and used this for a variety of art activities and decorating the playroom. We made animal masks etc and my 16 month old goes around growling now... so cute.
Sea life is big in SA and you can swim with sharks, whales and dolphins, so a good way to introduce them to those and penguins.
Flowers - Strilizia and proteas are different and SA favourites and speciality.
Basket stuff is popular and sold all over AFrica so you can make great play things with baskets - sensory baskets or role play picnic baskets, grass handbags.
Only a couple of ideas - hope this helps. Would also love to touch base with other SA Childminders in the UK....

Thank you so much for your reply you have been very helpful.
Last week mindees dad turned up and had made tea for us think they were Vet cake (pronounced Fet cake) with cheese or minced beef inside and then we had milk tart.

Thanks again

Cx

Bushpig
23-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Thank you so much for your reply you have been very helpful.
Last week mindees dad turned up and had made tea for us think they were Vet cake (pronounced Fet cake) with cheese or minced beef inside and then we had milk tart.

Thanks again

Cx

Vetkoek (pronounced fetkook)! Yum. Heart attack on a plate but nice now and again ;)

Please do let us Saffas know if you need any help with anything? Sorry I only saw this thread now, haven't been on here that much. You've been given some lovely advice from the other South Africans here :thumbsup:

My mindees know lots about Africa and South Africa now... thing is they all want to come with me on holiday now and tell their parents this! :p One family have been asking me about going to the Kruger National park (safari) later in the year but the kids are 2 and 3 and in my opinion, too young to fully enjoy and appreciate the (huge!) game park, plus loo stops are few and far btwn! ;)

Wildlife, sealife, food.. all play a big roll in South Africa. If you'd like any photos of wild animals to print out for the kids, I have loads - hubby and I are keen photographers and wildlife mad. You could print them out to A3 size if need be

We all learn about eachother - my one little mindee was born in the States... so we learn about America too. We learn about other countries too, but all mine are little (oldest is 3 yrs), so we dont go into too much depth about other countries as yet.

Re musical instruments, try and get some bongo drums.. the kids love ours! And the wooden instruments mentioned already. They're traditionally African, and are also lots of fun for all to enjoy. They also love the rain maker.

christine e
23-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Vetkoek (pronounced fetkook)! Yum. Heart attack on a plate but nice now and again ;)

Please do let us Saffas know if you need any help with anything? Sorry I only saw this thread now, haven't been on here that much. You've been given some lovely advice from the other South Africans here :thumbsup:

My mindees know lots about Africa and South Africa now... thing is they all want to come with me on holiday now and tell their parents this! :p One family have been asking me about going to the Kruger National park (safari) later in the year but the kids are 2 and 3 and in my opinion, too young to fully enjoy and appreciate the (huge!) game park, plus loo stops are few and far btwn! ;)

Wildlife, sealife, food.. all play a big roll in South Africa. If you'd like any photos of wild animals to print out for the kids, I have loads - hubby and I are keen photographers and wildlife mad. You could print them out to A3 size if need be

We all learn about eachother - my one little mindee was born in the States... so we learn about America too. We learn about other countries too, but all mine are little (oldest is 3 yrs), so we dont go into too much depth about other countries as yet.

Re musical instruments, try and get some bongo drums.. the kids love ours! And the wooden instruments mentioned already. They're traditionally African, and are also lots of fun for all to enjoy. They also love the rain maker.

Thanks you have been very helpful

Cx