PDA

View Full Version : Difficult mindee

Millievanilli
14-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi, this is just a quick question, I'm a new childminder and was wondering what to do if you have a mindee who is nearly 4 and who does not cooperate when you are out and about with them eg. running off down the road when you are getting another child out of the car?

Daftbat
14-03-2009, 02:35 PM
You need to use reins or wrist straps and perhaps he could be the last person out of the car.

You will probably find they start to change their ways once they see what the other children are doing and they realise that you mean business.

Good luck

Pipsqueak
14-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Same as Penny a firm no, consistency of rule enforcement, consistency of consquences (unless immediate danger or endangering)

and oh yes - reins or a wrist strap - works wonders. When we are out and about its my way or no way, too many children to ensure the safety of for one of them to be messing around

when you are out and about then talk to the children about what is expected of them praise praise praise the good and wanted behaviours.

good luck

sarah707
14-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Same as above... also road safety discussions, play, books, information etc... really hammer it home.

It's about their safety at the end of the day so absolutely no nonsense.

Also get parents on board

Millievanilli
14-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Same as Penny a firm no, consistency of rule enforcement, consistency of consquences (unless immediate danger or endangering)

and oh yes - reins or a wrist strap - works wonders. When we are out and about its my way or no way, too many children to ensure the safety of for one of them to be messing around

when you are out and about then talk to the children about what is expected of them praise praise praise the good and wanted behaviours.

good luck

Thanks for the feedback, by 'consequences' do you mean taking away treats etc? Am not sure if reins or strap could be an option as he's very grown up for his age and would most likely refuse to wear them. I will have to get one of those things that stops them undoing their seat belt though then get him out last as someone mentioned.

nannymcflea
14-03-2009, 03:35 PM
I personally wouldn't use "take aways" but I would use rewards for when he does behave. You say he is quite mature...but not when it comes to listening?
Can you put him in charge of road safety, get him to tell the younger ones what to do..."X can you make sure Y doesn't run off when he/ she gets out of the car, thank you, you are so helpful at being safe".

If not, can you use stickers in his daily diary(if you use one) for when he does behave. This way he can tell his parents that he was safe for you.

If all else fails you will have to hold his hand when he comes out of the car...telling him why it is necessary and that you'd rather not but the choice was his to behave this way.

mushpea
14-03-2009, 05:21 PM
like the last post idea of treating him grown up but if he dosent listed and continues to run off then he will have to wear a wrist strap for his own saftey and that of the other children, after all if your constentaly running after him or watching him what are the others getting up to.
the idea of the strap is saftey not wether he likes wearing it or not, plus of course if he dosent want to wear it you may only have to enforce this a couple of times and he will get the message. you could give him one warning of if you continue to run off i will put the strap on then if he does go you put it on, the next time you give the warning he will realise you mean it. he wouldnt have to wear it the whole time, just for say 10mins so he gets the idea of it.
I used to have one that hated wearing it and would even sit down in the street when i put it on him so eventualy i shortend it so he couldnt reach to sit down !!

helenlc
14-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I have an almost 3 yr old who has a tendency to run off. So what I do is put the reins on and then tuck the long strap in the back of the harness. I tell him that as long as he is sensible and holds my hand etc then I wont hold the strap. But the minute he tries to run off or doesnt come back to me when called (ie in the playground) then I will hold the strap.

You could talk to him and maybe get books/literature about road safety to reinforce the message that he needs to be sensible and do as he is told otherwise it could be dangerous. Explain that you expect him to hold hands/hold the buggy etc.

Also show him the reins and say that if he doesnt hold hands or hold onto the buggy, then he will have to wear them.

You can do a reward chart over the week where he can put a sticker on for every day that he is sensible while you are out. At the end of the week, he can have his treat - it could be watching a DVD or a trip to soft play, a new colouring book and pens to take home etc. Also print him off a certificate to take home too.