PDA

View Full Version : Do we have to provide a "sand pit"?

Ripeberry
13-03-2009, 05:59 PM
:) Hi, i've been digging over the old chicken run as i've built a new one further back into the garden and now i've got a space 3 meters by 4 meters to turn into a kids area.
As the soil is so good i would like to put planters all around the edge so we can grow flowers and salad crops. I do have a veg patch for the familly and will grow potatoes, onions and beans this year.
I just don't really want to put a great big sandpit there. I've got cats and boy will they love it :mad: I will provide a large plastic garden tray for children who want to play with sand and of course water play.
I think the middle part of the old run will be covered with turf and in the summer used for picnics .
The fencing will be covered in child safety mirrors and a blackboard and maybe a windchime or two.
Is this over the top or do you have some other ideas?

OrlandoBelle
13-03-2009, 06:08 PM
I think it sounds lovely!!! I wish I had a garden big enough for a vegetable patch! The children will love growing their own fruits and vegetables.

The mirrors and blackboards sound great. Sounds like what I want to do with mine.

There is a great book you might be interested in called Great Gardens for Kids by Claire Matthews. It has lots of things to do with vegetable patches, blackborads, windchimes etc. There are some really simple ideas in there. I am planning on doing the children's deck from the book next year in my garden.

Take a look:

http://www.borders.co.uk/book/great-gardens-for-kids/17842/

Alibali
13-03-2009, 06:13 PM
even if i had the biggest garden in the world, i would still not provide a sandpit, i hate sand!!!

Daftbat
13-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Of course you don't. There are no rules about exactly what you have to provide - you have to provide opportunities for varied play. Everything you have suggested sounds brilliant and i too would love a garden big enough to have a veg patch - the kids will love it:clapping:

Ripeberry
13-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm glad i'm not the only one that hates sand.
My girls got Moonsand for xmas and its a real pain! Really messy to use (i found) and they used it outside and its still there months later! :mad:

Mollymop
13-03-2009, 07:36 PM
You don't have to have a sand pit. I don't.
My dd comes out of school with her boots filled with sand all the time. I had to take her boots off and shake them in the playground the other day and heaps fell out!

I don't like sand either, I used to clean a nursery once, when they had been playing in sand it was a nightmare to clean anywhere. Bah humbug to me! haha

I like the idea of a veggie patch. I would love one myself.

Mollymop
13-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm glad i'm not the only one that hates sand.
My girls got Moonsand for xmas and its a real pain! Really messy to use (i found) and they used it outside and its still there months later! :mad:

Oh please. Don't get me started on Moon sand!

Polka Dots
13-03-2009, 07:44 PM
We haven't got a sand pit but would love to have a veggie patch.

wellybelly
13-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Wow i bet you'll grow the best beggies. Ive just put in a veggie patch - im not hoping for too much this year as I feel the soil needs to be prepared. Ive got radishes, peas, carrots and pumpkins to plant with the kids in the next few weeks. Its all trial and error at this stage but hey we'll learn together.

We're growing sun flowers too as a race to see whose is the tallest.

cher25
13-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't have a sandpit and don't intend to get 1 either, im also not a fan of sand.
The kids can wait till we have some decent weather and we'll head to the beach.
Fortunately i live about 10 mins from the beach so don't see the point in buying a sandpit just now. If i lived further away i may have relented and got 1 but would hate letting them play in it. lol

huggableshelly
13-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I've got a sandpit but kiddies didnt bother with it last year, they seemed to enjoy the fresh snad for a few days then it just sat there. My own kiddies have outgrown it so might just get rid of it now as need room for the planters.

uf353432
13-03-2009, 08:23 PM
we've got a lovely veg patch as well which I hope will be a great resouce for kids. Especially if we can take stuff grown in the garden into the kitchen for tea!!

In a couple of weeks we are building a 6x3m deck along the back of the house which will be dedicated to the kids play. Although they have other areas to play in - lots of lawn, the tramp and a huge playhouse with swing and slide - the deck will be more like an outside classroom. one side will have a blackboard attached so they can chalk and was thinking about having an easel purpose built onto it so they can do painting outdoors. I plan to have a tuff spot tray, a tent, a washing line with various things pegged on it for kids to play with. I'm REALLY excited about having it can you tell!?? :clapping:

buildingblocks
14-03-2009, 12:53 PM
even if i had the biggest garden in the world, i would still not provide a sandpit, i hate sand!!!

I was informed by my college tutor I should be providing sand and water everyday.

Alibali
14-03-2009, 03:28 PM
I was informed by my college tutor I should be providing sand and water everyday.

Every day? I think not! I provide an individual, personalised setting, and give the children lots of different learning experiences and I try not to provide the same things every day unless the children ask.

Although I hate sand, I do have 3 very close cm friends and we go to theirs to play with sand - they help clear up etc. I really do have a phobia of sand and can't touch the stuff. If it is compulsary I would have to stop minding:)

sarah707
14-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Nowhere in the Eyfs does it say that sand is obligatory and that's the law not some tutor's reading of it!!

It is good practice to provide a range of experiences ... some tactile, some stimulating the other senses.

All sorts of media go in my messy tray ... and the children play with different things at childminding group as well.

Allie
14-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I changed from sand pit to compost pit then gave over an area of garden to digging which was followed up with a vegetable plot. All activities were well received and the children spent ages on the digging every day for two or three weeks

Allie

Willowdancer
14-03-2009, 04:37 PM
I'd go with the veggie patch - my kids love helping to plant seeds and watching everything grow.

I'm not even providing a garden (its not safe at the mo and can't do anything about it until the weather is better so I haven't registered it), never mind a sandpit or water tray - no way am I doing that in the house! :laughing: