PDA

View Full Version : garden fence

Blackhorse
13-03-2009, 11:32 AM
This might be a silly question, but is there something like a minimum hight requirement for garden fences? I don't want to put up a fence and then get told at inspection that it should be higher ....

I am struggling to find a nice affordable fence for my garden.

2 sides are fenced where my garden borders with the neighbours garden, but the bit closest to the house and the back of the garden need to be fenced (the back to fence away an unsafe bit, that would take me years to get fixed and the front, as my house is on a hill and there is a path between the house and garden and the garden itself is raised by about a meter with steps leading up to it. so children could fall from the garden onto the concrete path between the house and the garden... hope you can picture what I mean

thanks
Nicole

Bananabrain
13-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Don't know about minimum height but I'm pretty sure there is a maximum{from neighbours point of view,their view spoiled,light etc}

Sorry not much help.

I reckon Ofsted would say that the fence has to be stable,have no holes,be lockable at gates etc.I think most fences that you get at garden centres are standard sizes,either 3ft or 6ft.

marion123
13-03-2009, 12:07 PM
i have a large wall around my back garden all they said was is your gate locked my front garden has a 3 foot fence and again all they asked was is my gate locked

tammerisk
13-03-2009, 12:13 PM
i think three foot is about the norm for a minimum garden fence and 6 foot is the highest unless you apply for planning permission as higher than that blocks neighbours veiws!!! same with trees they have to be cut to six foot

Zoomie
13-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Well my garden fence is going to cost £250 to replace and it isn't even my fence.

We are tired of the falling down fence, fed up of our neighbour having a good old noisey everytime he has a cigarette (and then drops the butt so that it falls into our garden), Ofted will insist on it and DH has decided that if we are going to pay for it, well it will be a 6ft one then.

:angry: :angry:

Gonna go and buy it within the next week (cos I posted my app to Ofted today), and then DH and his friend are going to put it up later this month. :)

rickysmiths
14-03-2009, 12:12 AM
i think three foot is about the norm for a minimum garden fence and 6 foot is the highest unless you apply for planning permission as higher than that blocks neighbours veiws!!! same with trees they have to be cut to six foot

Wow I have never heard of this one!!!:eek:

I have 50ft tree at the end of my garden and many of my neighbours have similar thank goodness. I don't live anywhere posh either, I live in a ex council house on an estate built in the late ninteen fifties.

When I was a teenager we had a 150ft Californian Redwood Tree in our back garden and there was a 100ft Cedar of Lebonon over the fence in our next door neighbours garden.

Where do you live that none of the tree can be over 6ft?:eek:

Pipsqueak
14-03-2009, 12:25 AM

6ft 6 is the max height of a fence -hubs erects fences (darned good ones for those of us in the north east:D )

he is a qualified tree feller etc and so long as trees and bushes aren't causing an obstruction or blocking light then there isn't much anyone can do about height (even if they are its considered more inconsiderate than law breaking). They are a naturally occuring thing.

Blackhorse
14-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Pipsqueak I love your footnote

don't get mad..get even..... send a toddler in..

I am still laughing!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: