PDA

View Full Version : briefing sessions

singlera
13-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Have a date for my initial meeting to become a childminder, but does anyone know what actually happens at these meetings, the lady i spoke to from ey service was very vague?

singlewiththree
13-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Our briefing (it varies on area) just described what a childminder is and what they do, about the EYFS - briefly and the legal requirements. Answered questions like "can we look after our own children at the same time" sigh. Then we had a visit from the local childminding association, the family information service and the toy library. They explained about the start up grant and what the course would entail. We had 3 introductory briefings and on the third one we signed up for the course and paid our fee.

chewy sweets
13-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Basically it will give you all the information you need about becoming a childminder.
What checks will be done, what training you need to complete.
The breifing session is just to check that childminding is right for you.
If you have any questions you want answering now is a good time to ask them!
You'll also get info about what to do next. Applications and starting your Introduction to ChildCare Practise (Homebased) Course.

Hope this has been some Help? :laughing:
But I know that briefing sessions do vary in different areas.
Good Luck!!!:clapping:

misst104
13-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Ours involved a ldy giving a brief talk about what childminding entails and then followed that with a DVD showing a couple of CM's at work. Then she asked if anyone had questions and on finishing asked if anyone was ready to sign up for the training!

x

miffy
13-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Just want to wish you good luck :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

sarah707
13-03-2009, 05:51 PM
From me too! Good luck! :D

Chanelle
13-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I didnt have to attend this meeting because I couldnt make the last session and didnt want to wait so our Local Development worker came to my house for mine. When she came she gave me a pack explaining what i already knew but did advise me on what courses I may need to do . I already have the NVQ 3 and was previously a childminder. I am lucky that i only have to do the 1st aid which was out of date and a refresher and implementng Child protection . I have requested to do the Sector Specific as I want to be sure I am up to date with everything.

I cant really give you any mor information other than that but hope it was helpful :)

jibberjitz
15-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Ours was 2 hours of information on what to do to become a cm

LisaMarie
18-03-2009, 12:24 AM
my 1st one was a 1hr one which was who can and who cant cm, where to obtain the eyfs pack, basically skimming the surface. the next one was 3hrs and more in depth, agve us our ofsted forms, gave us a form for icp/start up grant and another for the suppport cm scheme.

singlera
18-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks am looking forward to it more now. Have already been asked to look after 2 over 8year olds in Sept that go to school with my daughter and have been unable to get flexible childcare so who know what the future will hold!!