PDA

View Full Version : Do you like to share ?

angeldelight
12-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Do you ever buy something really nice for the kids but then you dont want them to use it? haha

Not in a mean way but you know what I mean ?

Some things are meant to look tatty and it adds to the character but other things just look nice when they are new and not touched ha

We had some new play food today our old food is squashed and looking very used and the new is looking very nice

I dont want them to use it !!!

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

rickysmiths
12-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Oh I know exactly what you mean. I bought a set with an Elmer book and a small Elmer toy. It is so qute! I relented today and we opened it. When I saw the children enjoying it and listening to the story I felt really mean for not opening it sooner:blush:

Wer'e big softies at heart.:laughing:

charleyfarley
12-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Yep I know what you mean, I'm constantly saying don't do that, you'll break it, squash it etc

However judging from my mindees they don't get told how to treat toys or resources at home.

Carol xx

donnadoo2004200
12-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I recently bought some lovely books with proper paper pages instead of hard pages. My mindee aged 2 thought they were great for piling up and standing on them then shouting out look at me im balancing lol. I know this is disrespecting resources but had to laugh as we have been practising balancing on beams all week. What could I do but laugh, I just think she loves the word balancing as she hasent stopped saying it since Monday bless her. She wont be doing it tomorrow though books have been hidden:)

amirose
13-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Ha ha that's funny, I did bead making with my 5 year old mindee yesterday - she really enjoyed it and actually decided she wanted to keep the necklace she made for mothers day as a present (what a lovely idea :D ) anyway I seriously could not help myself constantly telling her not to mix the different types of beads :eek: - I MEAN WHY ON EARTH DOES IT MATTER :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

littletreasures
13-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Yes!!

I bought some lovely books when I went to Canada last time. The best one is a book about Dogs. It has some moving flaps. Push the flap in and out and the tail wags, head shakes etc.

The kids are NOT allowed to look at it without me and they most certainly are not allowed to touch the flaps!!!:laughing: :laughing:

huggableshelly
13-03-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm like that with books too lol, i want to be the first one to read them before any child touches.

donnahay0
13-03-2009, 07:34 AM
For me I have three things:

BOOKS that the little ones love to chew - often before we have even read/looked at them properly.

PATTERNED PAPER - as a keen card and scrapbooker (although I haven't done any of that of ages - wonder why !!) I have lots of really beautiful patterned paper which I will, on occasions use for childminding displays, craft etc. When they just cut it up and waste it I shudder - It's really sad cos I just like to look at it and have a Homer moment, touch it and go ahhhh.

TOYS SET OUT READY FOR PLAY - don't get me wrong I am really happy for them to be playing with the toys. Sometimes I set up, for example the Happy Street set (and I have lots of it) all over the floor and it looks for lovely and inviting and the mindees come in and get all excited then just trash and all my effort is wasted. Might as well just have dumped it on the floor in a big heap.

Oh found a number 4. Sand Pit. I fill it up with nice new sand (has been out of action during the winter) and then hate the thought of them getting it everywhere, tipping it all out on the garden and, to me, just wasting it.

What a terrible childminder I sound - maybe I should change jobs. I do let them do all the above (except the books bit - I put them out of reach and keep very old ones out for the little ones). It's just that I hate waste and I like things set out neatly. :D

sarah32
13-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Im like that with the little people, I set it all up connecting it all together, looks lovely, then I have 3 mindee;'s arrive and within minutes its pulled apart, turned over and a mess. :)

huggableshelly
13-03-2009, 08:09 AM
oh sand !! yep that wrigglies me too lol and new playdough especially shop bought i hate seeing the colours all mixed in but I make most of it, we only have shop bought if parents offer, funny as over xmas a few had playdough for xmas and it all got bought to me so parents didnt have to handle the mess lol but no complaints from me for gaining free stuff.

Cammie Doodle
13-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Mmmm now Im worried I suffer from ALL of the above and more :eek: lol

mummyroysof3
13-03-2009, 08:20 AM
lol, i thought it was just me, it really bugs me when they mix the playdough, spill sand and as for the happyland i give up me and jack used to build a really good set up then jessica just walks all over it and sits in the middle etc so annoying, we nicknamed her godzilla for doing that lol i sound awful dont i:laughing: oh and when they painting or drawing etc and they decide after doing like 1 line or something its done and they want another sheet of paper grr, this is just with my 2 god help me when i start minding lol

charlotte x

sarah707
13-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I struggle with painting in the house so I set up the easel outside instead. I don't want my walls covered with paint that I know they will splatter around if I so much as look the other way.

The other one is when they come in and tip all the toy boxes while I'm still greeting parents. I have set out a few nice things that I know they like but they get all giddy and out everything comes. I really have to breathe deeply, put on the calming music and make a game of putting everything back so the floor is safe. :rolleyes:

breezy
13-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I never want them to use playdough, I make a new fresh batch only for them to eat it, sneeze into it,dribble, get it grubby and tread it all through the house!
I'd like to keep it fresh in the box for display purposes only I get abit freaky about the hygiene of it all with one snotting in it and one trying to eat it:panic:

what I love too is a pack of new or freshly sharpened colouring pencils, dont want those used either:blush: Oh dear I think I'm abit anal:(

mandy moo
13-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Oh my goodness I must be the worse childminder ever,:panic:
I found my self thinking 'oh my god thats sounds like me'

Then its nice to know Im not the only one who feels like that:laughing:

The paddling pool in the summer, I hate it when they keep getting in and out and making the water dirty. oh Im so sad:blush:

Roseolivia
13-03-2009, 09:08 AM
I am obsessed with not messing up the book shelf. It has now gone 2 days being a mess and i'm dying to sort it out. Boxes of games on the shelf have to be in height order. I think whenever you buy anything new you don't want the kids messing it up especially if it gets broken. I try so hard not to stress about the toys but find it hard especially if it's my daughters toys.

PixiePetal
13-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Are we all control freaks in disguise!!!

I hate grass and dirt in the paddling pool, sand all over the patio, books jumbled on the shelf, playdoh colours mixing, toy cars losing wheels, dolls hair looking like a haystack.................

Don't know why I am doing this job :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

huggableshelly
13-03-2009, 09:26 AM
wow all these confessions coming out its brilliant self confessed obsessive childminders who dont like to share... but we teach children to share lol such great leadrers woohoo!

carolinel
13-03-2009, 09:28 AM
oh I'm glad it's not just me then!! another one for me is Glitter!! I just love glitter and hate to see it being wasted!!

angeldelight
13-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Goodness I was only moaning about a tea set

But now I have read all your comments I also moan about most of them

Hahaha :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Polly2
13-03-2009, 09:38 AM
This thread is great! It makes me feel normal! I suffer from all of the above ha :laughing: :laughing:

Aren't we sad???

childmind04
13-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Books and paint for me, i have one lo who would paint my full house if i take my eyes off for a second, so like Sarah its an outside activity now :laughing: and i have a lo who thinks books are for tearing :panic:

I have stopped worrying about toys now ;)

Mollymop
13-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I felt this way about any new toys yet, except for brand new playdoh!

hectors house
13-03-2009, 10:39 AM
My new pushchair has just been delivered - it is lovely and clean!! - have never had a brand new pushchair for mindees before - normally car boot sale bargains.

I feel like putting a sign on it saying no food, no drink, no children in nappies, no children not in nappies, no running noses, - basically NO CHILDREN!!

vix84
13-03-2009, 10:48 AM
My new pushchair has just been delivered - it is lovely and clean!! - have never had a brand new pushchair for mindees before - normally car boot sale bargains.

I feel like putting a sign on it saying no food, no drink, no children in nappies, no children not in nappies, no running noses, - basically NO CHILDREN!!

Lol - I like that one!

I used to be annoyed with the majority of the above - but now I have my own Dennis the Mennice (not sure on spelling there!) I have now learnt to chill out as Im too busy getting worked up about other stuff instead :panic: ........... but my biggest pet hate - is those pop up books!! Yes they are great - but it is just soo tempting for the under 3's to demolish within a second, so those are kept for supervised reading!

Hmm, what else - the toys that have pieces, that always end up missing. I hate having in complete toys!

The slinky - thought it would be great for my 9 month old to stretch etc. but within an hour it is all tangled up - lesson learnt

huggableshelly
13-03-2009, 11:05 AM
The slinky - thought it would be great for my 9 month old to stretch etc. but within an hour it is all tangled up - lesson learnt

slinky's drive me mad grrrr

my son is not allowed to play with his during my working hours then when he does its so long woork great on the stairs until it gets to the bottom and thn it tangles grrrr, he needs a new one really but I wanna just throw his old one and not replace it cuz I'm a bad mummy

vickie83
13-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh my, I can relate to so many of these - how anal I must be!
My biggest pet hate is them standing on the sofa (usually to see the fish or look out the window to see if mammy is her yet) I always have to wash the covers after I see them doing this :rolleyes:

nannysue
13-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Oh Dear i can hold my hand up to most of those too:blush: especially the Playdoh i hate the colours being mixed up !!!

Cammie Doodle
13-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Goodness I was only moaning about a tea set

But now I have read all your comments I also moan about most of them

Hahaha :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Oh look what you have started now Angel :D :D :D

Schnakes
13-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Oooooh - me me me!! I cant stand playdoh colours being mixed up, the books all messy, the shape stacking toys I bought are now kept in the kitchen as they were getting everywhere...uuum...everything else everyone has said!! Im such a fuss pot!! Its so sad really.

I dont understand why kids get the train track/happy land/farm etc and just trash it...cant they see that Ive laid it out so beautifully!!

Sx

sue
13-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Are we all control freaks in disguise!!!

I hate grass and dirt in the paddling pool, sand all over the patio, books jumbled on the shelf, playdoh colours mixing, toy cars losing wheels, dolls hair looking like a haystack.................

Don't know why I am doing this job :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

its not just me then!!!!!!!!! :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: Getting better over last year (lthink now try to hold my tongue)

cher25
13-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I keep buying toys and books and leave them hidden away, till the kids accidently see them and do my head in for them. But they have to nag for a couple of day's before i give in. :blush:

huggableshelly
13-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I hid the flying fish game for a while, it was a gift for my son at xmas but he had so much he didnt really miss it then one day he asked for it, I only had 3 mindies here so got it out ... omg the screams and arguments as there are only 2 nets so the batteries accidently fell out ....

adds to shopping lie to buy more nets.

Blaze
14-03-2009, 12:15 AM
It's not just me then!:phew: :laughing:

huggableshelly
14-03-2009, 07:36 AM
hee hee Blaze welcome to the non-sharing club

Monkey1
14-03-2009, 07:41 AM
I never want them to use playdough, I make a new fresh batch only for them to eat it, sneeze into it,dribble, get it grubby and tread it all through the house!
I'd like to keep it fresh in the box for display purposes only I get abit freaky about the hygiene of it all with one snotting in it and one trying to eat it:panic:

what I love too is a pack of new or freshly sharpened colouring pencils, dont want those used either:blush: Oh dear I think I'm abit anal:(

Oh dear I think I'm abit anal!......your words.not mine!:laughing:

Monkey1
14-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Its the elc pirate ship with me!...it looks so lovely on the shelf with everything positioned just right.......once the children have had it the sails are down, scramble nets twisted and then i have to play a game of hunt the pirate!

Oh and the dolls house.............

role play area........................

and my biggy..................my beautiful dressing up stand!!!!!!:panic: :angry: :blush:

PixiePetal
14-03-2009, 07:46 AM
All my new wooden dolls house furniture arrived this week. Let 4yr old mindee have it yesterday...that was a hard decision in itself!

All was well till DD (14) came home from school, he got a bit excited and surprise surprise, the little wooden laptop was broken underfoot. I wanted to scream but held back. Told him he was right to tell me but think we will pack it away for another time when he could be careful. Inside I was fuming:angry:

Might keep it for myself now!!

breezy
14-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Its the elc pirate ship with me!...it looks so lovely on the shelf with everything positioned just right.......once the children have had it the sails are down, scramble nets twisted and then i have to play a game of hunt the pirate!

Oh and the dolls house.............

role play area........................

and my biggy..................my beautiful dressing up stand!!!!!!:panic: :angry: :blush:

Oh Monkey, what do you like to dress up as?:blush: :laughing:

helenlc
14-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Im like that with the little people, I set it all up connecting it all together, looks lovely, then I have 3 mindee;'s arrive and within minutes its pulled apart, turned over and a mess. :)

I was like this on Thursday - I had 3 under 3 and set out all my Little People stuff set out and within 10 minutes it looked like a hurricane had gone through it!!

My thing is books - looking after the pages and play doh - I really should let them mix the colours!!! (I actually do but it kills me! :laughing: )

Monkey1
14-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Oh Monkey, what do you like to dress up as?:blush: :laughing:

:huh: :huh: do you mean within working hours or afterhours?:blush: :blush: :blush:

beerheaven
14-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Not keen on sharing my books! Keep my 'special ones' on a top shelf, read to kids and replace quickly!

I only do glitter at Christmas - am still finding it in carpet!

Can just about cope with painting now but only if I carry each child to sink with their hands a long way from me!!

I also struggle to stay calm when nice new clean sand is tipped onto ground!

Blimey, sounds like fun, fun, fun in my house, eh?! :)

TheBTeam
15-03-2009, 08:49 AM
I am obsessed by a tidy book shelf! But my main thing I buy and then get possessive over is craft stuff like packs of alphabet stickers and things, they never look or pack away the same when they have been used, and they are often 'wasted' when I had a lovely project half in mind!!! I need to take time to let go and it isn't the end of the world if they are used, enjoyed and nothing is left, but it takes me a while to get to the point that I can let that happen!!! In the meantime they sit there with me knowing that I have them 'available'!! I have such a sad life!

breezy
15-03-2009, 11:54 AM
:huh: :huh: do you mean within working hours or afterhours?:blush: :blush: :blush:

either would be an interesting insight into your hobbies :panic: :laughing: