PDA

View Full Version : Not enough hours!

theoldwoman
12-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I have realised that there are not enough hours in the day for me to do EYFS - I have 13 mindees to do, plus the other children, plus my family, plus a Cub Pack to run, plus badminton club / matches, etc etc. So what happens if I admit defeat and when inspected (due anytime) explain and so get a satisfactory (I got an overall good last time with two outstandings). Three people have been to have a look this week (and go on a waiting list) and would like me to have their children, not one asked about Ofsted grading. I have got my policies and general pictures showing I cover everything, but as the last child goes its on to the next thing. I have had enough of going to bed at 1.30am! I have been a minder for 22 years and had nearly 200 children through the house and some have got to Oxford and Cambridge without EYF, so can I choose not to do it. :( :(

miffy
12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't think you can choose not to do it but you could choose to do it badly :rolleyes:

Thirteen children in EYFS is a lot - thought I was hard done to having five!

Miffy xx

donnadoo2004200
12-03-2009, 11:31 PM
No you cannot choose to do it, it is a legal requirement as were the national standards. I think they can stop you minding if you dont meet the requirements, but im sure someone will confirm if I am right or not.:panic:

theoldwoman
12-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Oh well, perhaps if I give up going to bed I will catch up with myself one day,good job I love the children!

PixiePetal
13-03-2009, 12:05 AM
If by doing a bit less and keeping it simple I get a satisfactory then that's fine with me!!

Been minding almost 15 years and never had complaints. All children have thrived before and most have come by recommendation.

I am happy for people to get Outstanding - well done, but we are all different, that's why minding is so rewarding. We all have our strengths - mine is just not paperwork!!

I was a Nanny before registering - 27 years in childcare in total. I believe in myself and so do the parents. If Ofsted can just keep me registered Satisfactory or otherwise, I might just have a life too.:)

donnadoo2004200
13-03-2009, 12:23 AM
I agree. there is more paperwork than children but we have to embrace the change if you keep it simple it can be done quite quickly, try to do some when children are napping I dont cause I watch loose women but suffer later when it takes up my evening. Goodluck dont give up hope its obvious children and parents love you and vice versa.:)

singlewiththree
13-03-2009, 07:31 AM
I think with more parents going part time it has made the job a lot harder. In Oct I will have 4 children on my books but will still have a space available 3 days a week for an under 5 and 1 space over 5. They definately need to address the amount per child.

sarah707
13-03-2009, 07:53 AM
I think the trick is to keep it as manageable as possible.

scrap books with photos for each child ... they make nice leaving presents anyway and if you add notes showing how the photos link to Eyfs you are half way there.

It's about meeting all the standards, how well you meet them is down to you and the way the individual inspector reads everything, so long as you can show you meet them :D

Cammie Doodle
13-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I think the trick is to keep it as manageable as possible.

scrap books with photos for each child ... they make nice leaving presents anyway and if you add notes showing how the photos link to Eyfs you are half way there.

It's about meeting all the standards, how well you meet them is down to you and the way the individual inspector reads everything, so long as you can show you meet them :D

I agree with Sarah,
Carolyn and I have kept it simple we use a notepad to jot down notes, take photo as evidence, then once a week we type out on a form devised by us (A4 divided in 4 ), Obs, 6 areas, photo and next steps, and we then put it in the Children's All about me" Books. Ok we have not had an inspection yet on EYFS but its working for us, local Nursery love it and want to "steal" our idea and our Parents think it is great.

theoldwoman
13-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Thank you for your advice, I think I am getting overwhelmed and a bit depressed as I can't see me ever catching up with myself. Also I feel you can't enjoy the moment so much as they do something or look sweet and you have to grab your camera or write it down instead of just being happy that they are, if you know what I mean.
It is also right about all the part time jobs, I used to have the same three children every day, now the most I have is one for four days. Mind you I like the variety and no two days are the same combination of children which is interesting, but it does make more paperwork.
I also keep peeping at this site for ideas instead of getting my head down - but I am sure I learn more, thanks everyone.