View Full Version : Do i need to do anythin??

12-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been asked to have two children virtually full time, they're sisters, but the only way I can do it is to get my sister (already a childminder) to help me out cos of numbers. Do I have to register her as my assistant or anything or can she just come to my house and help me with all of them

Hope I've written it clear enough !!!



12-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I might be wrong but i think you have to register her as an assistant.

12-03-2009, 09:39 PM
She will have to register as your assistant.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Are you not able to get a variation? Because they are sisters ofsted would not want to split them. I would ask before going down the assistant route

12-03-2009, 09:44 PM
She will have to register as your assistant.

How do we do that then??

Chatterbox Childcare
12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
How do we do that then??

You need to complete an EY2 form off of the ofsted webiste and they will send you the documentation to complete, CRB form.

Once approved by Ofsted you need to ask for your numbers to be changed, get an employers liability certificate and for an assistant to be left she will need to go on a first aid course.

If you search for "assistants" you will find a lot of information and a great thread by Pauline

12-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Thank you
:) :)

12-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Sorry am I missing something, did you not say your sister is a childminder? Surely if this is the case then you need permission from Ofsted to increase the numbers but why would she need to be registered as an assistant?

If she is already a childminder then she will be CRB checked,have First Aid and will be insured in her own right.

13-03-2009, 07:27 AM
That makes sense, two women on my ICP were going to work with other childminders in their house but they too were childminders so it shouldn't be a problem.

13-03-2009, 12:30 PM
your sister need to be register to your home to childmind from there if you not going to register her as a assistant

thats how two or morechildmionders work in the same house but if there are either three or four of you you have to be registered as a setting not childminders i think

13-03-2009, 01:14 PM
You need to ring Ofsted and explain the circumstances... ask whether a variation or another childminder working with you would be the most appropriate route and what you need to do to make whichever one work best (and fastest).

If they say you and your sis are best working together then you need to ring your insurance company and check the implications of 2 childminders from the same house. My partner is tagged on my insurance and it doesn't cost that much extra, but there is a fee.

Hope this helps :D