PDA

View Full Version : Getting confused about how many types of risk assesments we have

Ripeberry
12-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I just want to make things clear for myself. We have to do a risk assesment sheet for every different place we go to? This is filled in once and you just add on the dates?
Then you have the full risk assesment for your home and garden, this is filled out once and reviewed when you have a new child starting, change anything , a child is developing (i.e standing up/walking) and then review it at least once a year?
THEN! this is the one that confuses me, you need to do a DAILY risk assesment of your home and a tick-list to show that you have checked fridge temps, no cat mess, toys out/clean......
Is this right?

FizzysFriends
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a daily quick one which is just of a written version of the visual check most people do anyway.

I have one for each room of my house which I review once a year or when I change my house arrange, don't re-do them for a new starter or when they develop as it covers all stages anyway and I would be forever doing them.

I have one for each type of outing, I don't date them everytime I do out though.

Mrs.L.C
12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I have heard that a book is a good way to show your daily risk assesments. write the things you need to check like litter tray, toys etc on the 1st page then just add a date in the book, showing that you have checked and all is ok and write down anything you have had to do like cover a plug socket that hadnt been put back on after hoovering or toy broken so thrown away. This should save paper and means you dont have to tick about 50 boxes everyday but you are recording any findings and showing you have checked it

Does that make sense?

singlewiththree
12-03-2009, 07:42 PM
The book is a fantastic idea!!! and saves so much paper and means that I can just note what is wrong rather than keep ticking what is right.

Ripeberry
12-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Great idea about the book! Saves paper, shows that you are thinking about things and acting on them. Thanks for that info :) The other thing i was thinking is that i could have an A4 sheet tacked onto my daily diary (got a big one) and have a column there where i could sign each day to say the checks have been done and if something needed actioning i could just refer to the "job number" and say what was done!
We've saved a forest between us :)

nannymcflea
12-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I have risk assesments for.
indoors,kitchen,storage units for toys,hot drinks,hygeine,animals,escape exits....etc
Garden,animals,escaping,equipment....etc
Outings,toddlers ,others childminders,school run,farm.....etc
I do a daily visual check for hygeine,toys,mess in garden(other peoples cats!)
I clean toilet and change towel,hoover and generally have a shifty before kids turn up.
I have a toy cleaning record so I know what I have done and what needs doing.Some toys need more cleaning than others due to use.

It is quite mind bending to start but once the paperwork is up and running you can get on with the good stuff...playing.:laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
12-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I do a visual risk assessment on the house every day but only write down something that needs replacing/changing/repairing

My outing risk assessments are done once but I don't record the dates.

My house risk assessments are done once and I review them 6 monthly.

I have sheets to show the reviews for both.

I risk assess all the time but I personally don't feel the need to record it all.

Mrs.L.C
16-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Great idea about the book! Saves paper, shows that you are thinking about things and acting on them. Thanks for that info :) The other thing i was thinking is that i could have an A4 sheet tacked onto my daily diary (got a big one) and have a column there where i could sign each day to say the checks have been done and if something needed actioning i could just refer to the "job number" and say what was done!
We've saved a forest between us :)

Yep need to think green and ways around everything that involve paper. I also send invoices, letters that dont require signing & policys via email where possible

and it also means I havnt got folders and folders and more folders everywhere as I can just use a note book for daily risk check

Any other green ideas any1?

RedDragon
16-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a scrapbook. On the front is funny pics like a mouse with a crash helmet about to eat a piece of cheese off a mouse trap, a cow that has just farted on a farmer - cow has no smoking sign on her bum and is saying "Sign's there for a reason, pal".

Inside I have an A4 sheet that says "When I tick the daily record risk assessment sheet this is what I have checked" - I then have a big list with headings - Entrancehall/landing - I put front door locked and keys in pocket, stairs and banister clear, shoes put away.........

Then on next page I have A4 sheet with squares to tick - I have managed to make 1 A4 sheet last 2 weeks and I JUST TICK eNTRANCE HALL/LANDING (sorry, Caps).

I also stick in my risk assessments for the park, library, walking to school etc

I have a risk assessment in place for 1 of the children as he has diabetes (I don't put personal details in it and his mum is happy for me to put in certain things for everyone to see).

I have a risk assessment for when we had a burst pipe last Sunday in the kitchen and what steps I took to make the place safe (visitors book for work men, stair gate in front of kitchen door etc etc).

Tick box for when we do our fire evacuation.

Also stuck in there is a plan of the fire escapes.

To be honest I'm not sure if I am doing it right but I'm having a go.

nic76
20-09-2009, 08:02 PM
oooooo best get started as there is sooo much to do. good tips girls thanks

Chatterbox Childcare
20-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I just want to make things clear for myself. We have to do a risk assesment sheet for every different place we go to? This is filled in once and you just add on the dates?

I asked the Ofsted inspector this weekend this exact question and her reply was "a risk assessment for every place you visit, 1 for each toddler group and 1 for each park

Then you have the full risk assesment for your home and garden, this is filled out once and reviewed when you have a new child starting, change anything , a child is developing (i.e standing up/walking) and then review it at least once a year?

You will find that once the RA is in writing you will automatically be checking as you did before but mentally and you do not need to write anything more down unless there is a risk and what you are going to do about it. Review it once a year and date it to show that you have.

THEN! this is the one that confuses me, you need to do a DAILY risk assesment of your home and a tick-list to show that you have checked fridge temps, no cat mess, toys out/clean......
Is this right?

This is optional. You do a mental one each day as you go about your day. I personally don't do this but those who want an outstanding go that extra mile