PDA

View Full Version : playtable / place for lunch

Blackhorse
12-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi ,

Can anyone recommend a table & chair set that can be used for both play and lunch for children of different ages?
I am struggeling to find anything suitable.

I don't have space in the kitchen for a table and chairs and I have removed the bistro table from the living room when I was re-arranging everything for the childminding (and actually also for my dd as I wanted to create more space)

So what I need know is a children sized table chair set where they can do their arts and crafts and eat lunch...

When looking through the intenet for something most places tell you only from which age onwards you can use it but don't tell you for how long it would last them

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot
Nicole

louised
12-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I use a childrens plastic picnic style table with fixed seats as children sometimes find it difficult to push their chairs up to the table and keep them there. I got it from argos and it's for children up to 6 years. It is quite small though but I only ever have 3 children sitting at it.

miss mopple
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
If space is an issue how about a fold up camping table?

miffy
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I use one from the ELC

Miffy xx

Polka Dots
12-03-2009, 11:39 AM
What about the Mammut range at Ikea, they do either a round or rectangle table and chairs or stools.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/11779/

Blackhorse
12-03-2009, 11:42 AM
up to what age would you think this table would be ok?

... ah and don't mention the price, I know it is not cheap!

http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/storage_tables_chairs_playtables_chairs/Natural-Storage-Playtable/2533

uf353432
12-03-2009, 11:49 AM
my first thought is Ikea - really good quality and a great price

FizzysFriends
12-03-2009, 11:51 AM
What about the Mammut range at Ikea, they do either a round or rectangle table and chairs or stools.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/11779/

I have the round table, it seats 5 children and my 6yr old (130cm tall) can sit comfortably at it.

OrlandoBelle
12-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I looked at that table the other day. It is lovely, but hubby would kill me if I spent that much on a table!

The children sitting at it in the pic look abt 6/7??? Not sure, but the chairs look really sturdy so would possible hold a larger child.

Blackhorse
12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
I looked at that table the other day. It is lovely, but hubby would kill me if I spent that much on a table!

The children sitting at it in the pic look abt 6/7??? Not sure, but the chairs look really sturdy so would possible hold a larger child.

That is what I really like about it. It looks like it will last for a long long time. And the added storage is what I really like about it.. But it is expensive...
I was thinking of maybe getting it as a treat for getting registered... that was my excuse anyway.

The ikea one looks nice too and is obviously much more econimical!

Ahh... I wish I won a lot of money to be able to buy loads of fab things for starting up...

mushpea
12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
up to what age would you think this table would be ok?

... ah and don't mention the price, I know it is not cheap!

http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/storage_tables_chairs_playtables_chairs/Natural-Storage-Playtable/2533

This looks lovley but not sure how practical it would be if you have little ones, I know the 15month old i have would happily empty and eat anything stored in there:D
We sit at the dinning room table and use booster sits for the littlys , the folding table idea sounds a good idea or what about a tuff spot with with the stand works out about £75 then could put somthing acrross the top to use as a table top for lunch

Chimps Childminding
12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I also use a plastic picnic bench & table. I just leave it outside in the garden when it isn't being used and bring it in and give it a quick wipe over as and when needed!!

Twinkles
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I have the ikea one. It works very well for different ages.

donnahay0
13-03-2009, 08:17 AM
This was a problem for me too and I don't have the space to leave it up all the time so a folding one was really important.

I decided to buy one from a company called Gopak in the end it is really sturdy, folds flat, comes in a choice of colours, is washable and is big enough for four children to sit round doing colouring, they play toys on it and have lunch from it. You get the little chairs to match (like they have at nursery for £12 each). Yes the table was expensive at about £70.00 but I wish I had got one years ago.

What is great is that my own children move it up to the sofa and do their homework, craft etc from it and sometimes I do the same to do my NVQ or paperwork on. In the summer I can put it in the boot of the car and take it with me if I want and we can do craft whilst out in the woods etc.

It is an expensive buy but, for me, it has been well worth spending the money on. It took me ages to decide to get it so I split it up into 2 months of payments so it didn't seem like I was spending so much.

By the way the small plastic chairs will fit under it fine. You can also get the table in different heights.

Blackhorse
19-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I have decided on a table and have already gotten in delivered.

I reckon it should be alright for arts and crafts and lunches and snacks etc??

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i244/KnutDasElch/childminding/

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 10:13 PM
yep looks ok to me, just have a table cloth that you can throw over it for food times.

lol i have so many table covers its crazy, one for food, one for craft, one for general play, one for cooking and a few seasonal ones

now i need a booster seat for the new little one i'm taking on.

more shopping woohoo.

Blackhorse
19-03-2009, 10:16 PM
good idea.. I was thinking to get place mats but a cover for the entire table is proably better....ahh the list of things I need to get is endless:panic:

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 10:23 PM
oops sorry to make your shopping list grow ... giggles

durham mills is a great place they sell off the roll so just request the length (s) you need

Blackhorse
19-03-2009, 10:25 PM
great, will check that out...

my list is growing from day to day...
I have one for things I really need and then there is the neverending wishlist of things I would love to have.
but for that I would have to win the lottery first to afford them all and a bigger house to keep it all!! :laughing:

Chanelle
19-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Looks great and love the chairs ...
Can I ask where you got it from ? sand how much ... Atabe chairs are still on my list to buy ! :)

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 10:28 PM
great, will check that out...

my list is growing from day to day...
I have one for things I really need and then there is the neverending wishlist of things I would love to have.
but for that I would have to win the lottery first to afford them all and a bigger house to keep it all!! :laughing:

dont ever ask your mindees what they would like to have in your home LOL

mine requested a football table and a wii

I managed the footy table yay but no wii, the table can be put outside the wii cant and i love being outside so kiddies have to be out too

Blackhorse
19-03-2009, 10:30 PM
well I actually have a wii as my partner won one in his work.
but I want the children to be outside as much as possible...but I guess it is good to have for a rainy day.....

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 10:32 PM
wow lucky you, i have a playstation 1 with dancemats for rainyday use, it still works yay but its starting to struggle so will end up upgrading eventually.

Chanelle
19-03-2009, 10:36 PM
have a wii ... dont use it much apart from kiddies on a wet sunday afternoon
lol

huggableshelly
19-03-2009, 10:45 PM
ok maybe i need one sooner lol