PDA

View Full Version : Artifical grass

SimplyLucy
12-03-2009, 07:04 AM
I have seen some of you talk about artifical grass.

I have no idea how it works.
Is it expensive?
Is it a huge process to get it laid?
do they dig up your exsisting lawn?
How long does it last?

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks.

angeldelight
12-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Sorry I have no idea

But it does sound great does it not ?

Imagine no more mud patches and perfect looking grass ?

I have heard its expensive though although I have no idea of the price at all

Good luck hope you find some

Angel xx

christine e
12-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Try googling 'virtual lawn' and see if that brings up answers

Cx

miffy
12-03-2009, 07:31 AM
There was another thread about it somewhere - thinks it's quite expensive but then there's no maintenance, great!!!!!

Miffy xx

haribo
12-03-2009, 07:48 AM
i had it laid a couple of months back, and its great. i only had a tiny area , but it still cost 600pounds for them to fit. they dig the old lawn up, take away the mess, level the surface with hardcore (stones)then put a wooden frame round and the rolls of artificial grass are pinned to this. you can buy the stuff and do it yourself and save hundreds , it would have only cost us about 200pounds tofit ourselves but i know the mess would have been unbearable it would have dragged on and on so had them fit it. its worth every peny if you can afford it though. the kids can play on it anytime, theres no mud even after heavy rain ,its like i was given another room lol i will try and put some photos on here later so you can see . xx

angeldelight
12-03-2009, 07:51 AM
i had it laid a couple of months back, and its great. i only had a tiny area , but it still cost 600pounds for them to fit. they dig the old lawn up, take away the mess, level the surface with hardcore (stones)then put a wooden frame round and the rolls of artificial grass are pinned to this. you can buy the stuff and do it yourself and save hundreds , it would have only cost us about 200pounds tofit ourselves but i know the mess would have been unbearable it would have dragged on and on so had them fit it. its worth every peny if you can afford it though. the kids can play on it anytime, theres no mud even after heavy rain ,its like i was given another room lol i will try and put some photos on here later so you can see . xx

£600 for a small area ??

:panic: :panic: :panic:

Think I have changed my mind

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

haribo
12-03-2009, 07:54 AM
not sure if im allowed but the company i used was "as good as grass" and they were very professional ,would recommend them. they are based in the north west and if you google them you will see some pictures. if you have a good handyman you can buy the stuff and do it yourself very cheaply (ish) x

haribo
12-03-2009, 08:02 AM
it is a lot but then it depends what you get out of it. its no more than having a carpet laid . it means i can use the garden all year round rather than a few months when its not a mudbath. there are cheaper options like paving and stuff but i still wanted a bit of green out there. this was just after we had our horrible tragedy here with los mum if you remember and i just wanted it done for los sake she is so happy playing outside , i went for it and dont regret it !x

mushpea
12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
we looked at doing this last year but didn't have enough money but i am very tempeted to do it when i have the money cause it would mean no mud and outdoor play all year round, we did discuss paving but there really wasnt much in it in price if we did it ourselves , if you email the companys they will send you some samples, some of it looks very realstic and others not so, the samples now come in handy in the tuff spot and huristic play!

TheBTeam
18-03-2009, 02:32 PM
I paid £400 for grass and £450 for fitting but the job was done incredibly quickly and with no fuss, it is just like having another room in the house, along with our patio and decking that we have the garden can now be used in all weathers, the garden looks fresher and cleaner. We have had our first picnic out there today without the los getting damp through the floor. I used the as good as grass company and with the exception of a glitch with the grass at first delivery the problem was sorted and job done within 14 days of us deciding to get it! Best decision ever - even my dh says it was one of my better ideas, so must be good!!:clapping:

haribo
18-03-2009, 02:53 PM
i agree its the best money ive ever spent. its so nice going out at night too and not having to watch my step lol its usually full of snails. its just like another room. in fact im now thinking of having it covered -or partially as i havent room for a conservatory, to get even more from it .

Jules12Wed
18-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Just looked on that web site, it really looks nice. Ummm

mushpea
18-03-2009, 07:30 PM
with those of you who used the good as grass company can i ask which type of grass you went for and is it 'real grass' looking? also do they come out and measure for you and does somone come and show you samples?

TheBTeam
18-03-2009, 07:39 PM
with those of you who used the good as grass company can i ask which type of grass you went for and is it 'real grass' looking? also do they come out and measure for you and does somone come and show you samples?

I rang them and they sent samples, the one I chose was HOME PLUS, think it was the dearest but we don't have a huge amount, i measured my own in metres and the come in 2m or 4m widths and then you buy by the metre length. They asked me to email them some photos of the area and give a description. They then quoted to fit, which included digging out laying the sharp concrete sand base, builders sand, and a weed membrane and then battened around the edges so that the glass could be fixed to it. We had a rectangular patch so measuring was easy, but it has really given us an extra lot of use from our garden!

It is obviously looks fake in that you have no weeds, daisies, mud or grass cuttings everywhere!!! I think it looks like a very well kept lawn without any of the work, the offset being that there is no mud travelling around elsewhere in your garden so that stays cleaner too! Wow think I should work in their marketing or write a book:jump for joy: :laughing: