PDA

View Full Version : Termination letter - advice please

mum2two
04-02-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm going to be ending one of my contracts. First time I've done it, and I'm such a wimp about it... I want to do it asap, but I'm going to hold of until the last day child is with me before half term, as I don't have them during hols, so can have a week without seeing them. - Or would you just go & do it now...?

This is what I've written:

Due to a change in personal circumstances, it is with regret that I am writing this letter to inform you that I wish to terminate our childminding contract.

As per the contract, I am giving you 4 weeks notice, and therefore the contract will end on 12th March 2008.

I have enjoyed looking after your children, and wish both A & B lots of happiness.

Does that sound ok? How would you do it? Just give the letter & say nothing, or say here is a letter ending our contract. Then I'm just worried she'll ask why etc, and I'm just fobbing off in the letter so wouldn't know what to say.

Arrrggghhh - I'm such a coward!

Thanks for reading!!

Kelly x

angeldelight
04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi Kelly

That sounds fine

Poor you

I had to do this last year and was so nervous about it so I know how you are feeling

I would give her the letter and just prob just say what it is for with out going into detail

When I did it the parent burst out crying and hassled me for weeks after

Good luck hope it goes ok let us know

Angel xx

emler
04-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Your letter sounds absolutely fine Kelly. I haven't had to terminate a contract (yet) but I know it must be a difficult situation.
I would say what was in the letter when you give it to the parent but you don't have to go into great detail.
Good luck

Emler x

Mollymop
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Your letter sounds great to me Kelly.

I think the parent will ask you why though, as I know I would want to know if it were me.
Just say it is change in circumstances, etc, like you have written in your letter.
So good luck, I hope it goes ok. XX

sarah707
04-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Good luck Kelly - it's a really hard thing to do... :D

Banana
04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
sounds like exactly what i would write, i think its fine.

good luck, i know its not easy.

x

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
04-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Sounds ok to me, I had to do this when I first started childminding so I know how hard it can be.

Good luck

Lorraine x

deeb66
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Good luck kelly....hope it goes well

LittleAcorns
04-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi Kelly, your letter sounds absolutely fine, sorry if youve explained this, Im just curious why youre ending the contract, its just with you putting

"I'm going to hold of until the last day child is with me before half term, as I don't have them during hols, so can have a week without seeing them."

What problems are you having with the child? I have a few problems with a child, although shes been lovely today.....but I think Im going to see how things go xx

miffy
04-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Kelly

Your letter sounded fine

Hope everything was OK when you gave it to the parents

Miffy xx

jmoff
04-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Good luck, it's really hard.

Get tissues at ready when you give it to the parents.:)

Jana x

Trouble
04-02-2008, 07:44 PM
maybe ive read this wrong but you cant include holidays in the 4 week notice period, i have just terminated a contract and mine said vertually the same i was a nervous wreck she was fine, but the sad this is she doesnt speak to me now.

mum2two
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Kelly, your letter sounds absolutely fine, sorry if youve explained this, Im just curious why youre ending the contract, its just with you putting

"I'm going to hold of until the last day child is with me before half term, as I don't have them during hols, so can have a week without seeing them."

What problems are you having with the child? I have a few problems with a child, although shes been lovely today.....but I think Im going to see how things go xx

It's just the parent expects a hell of a lot! It just stresses me out more than anything else. I have A for 2 hours after school, twice a week. A's not allowed to watch tv, & the nights A comes I have: A who's nearly 7, my 2 (aged 6&2), plus 5yr old, 6 yr old & 9yr old. (plus i have 2 more starting after half term...) They want to chill in front of tv. I only have a lounge & not very large kitchen, so can get difficult. Then parent wanted me to give A tea. She collects A at 5pm, and in my policies I put tea is at 5, so it was so hard. Getting tea done at 4.30... Plus she wanted me to hold a place open for a year for B... for 2 hrs twice a week. I'm going to be over my number on a Tues after school soon, as I've taken on 2 full timers. At the end of the day too, it's money. A who earns me £50 a month, goes over brother & sister earning me £800+ a month...

Then she wants her other child, B, to start with me in Sept, but as she thinks B might be tired when first starting school, she wants me to have both A & B, for just 1hr twice a week for the first term. So until xmas, losing 2 spaces for such a petty amount of money, and all the other kids will have to accomodate them!

But saying that the mum is really nice. Chatty, and friendly, just expects me to revolve around her child, and everyone else to fit in, so that's why it'll be difficult giving her notice. Plus I know even if I do it before half term, she'll still call me.

I didn't know hols didn't count. I had a parent give me notice during summer hols last year... when they weren't with me.

Anyway - long ramble over. Thanks for all your replies. Glad it's ok.

Kelly x

jo hawkins
05-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi kelly,

it sounds fine to me ive never done it before. Hope it goes well

Jo

I'm going to be ending one of my contracts. First time I've done it, and I'm such a wimp about it... I want to do it asap, but I'm going to hold of until the last day child is with me before half term, as I don't have them during hols, so can have a week without seeing them. - Or would you just go & do it now...?

This is what I've written:

Due to a change in personal circumstances, it is with regret that I am writing this letter to inform you that I wish to terminate our childminding contract.

As per the contract, I am giving you 4 weeks notice, and therefore the contract will end on 12th March 2008.

I have enjoyed looking after your children, and wish both A & B lots of happiness.

Does that sound ok? How would you do it? Just give the letter & say nothing, or say here is a letter ending our contract. Then I'm just worried she'll ask why etc, and I'm just fobbing off in the letter so wouldn't know what to say.

Arrrggghhh - I'm such a coward!

Thanks for reading!!

Kelly x

LittleAcorns
06-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Hi Kelly, I dont blame you at all for cancelling the contract, this parent sounds like she want you to jump through hoops for her:eek: :eek: Dont forget its your business, you sound very very busy without this money, go for it, and let us know what happens xx

angeldelight
06-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Good luck Kelly hope it goes ok

Angel xx

jaz
06-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Good luck Kelly, hope it goes OK. It is so difficult isnt it when parents want their child to do one thing, but their child wants to do something completely different.

Keep us informed of your situation.

Will be thinking of you.

Rubybubbles
06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
The letter sounds good to me, simple and to the point:D

I gave notice in July for Sept going (to soft and agev too much notice, I was really ready when they went:D )

You have to work with what suits you, I have no school run children now as I felt I couldn't meet the demands of my own children (5,3) baby now 9 months and part timer 2y9 now! But when someone needed temp care for 8am-9am I said yes:rolleyes: , roll on 7th March, it's fine but forgot why I stopped IYSWIM

Hope it all goes okay, let us know and remember stand your ground;)