PDA

View Full Version : Working weekends

vickie83
11-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Does anyone work weekends? I only currently have mindee's on Wednesdays, Thursdays ans Fridays and I was approached today by a parent looking for weekend care. It suits me coz my partner works weekends and has Mondays and Tuesdays off so I'd be able to do the same BUT I'd have to turn away any full time Mon-Fri enquiries. It's a dilemma but I'm so tempted to do it anyway.
Do you find working weekends is much different to working through the week? I know you're limited to the kinds of activities you would normally do (eg libraries and toddler groups not being open) but is there anything else I'd need to consider?:huh:

Chimps Childminding
11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
If it suits you and your family, I would go for it. It is unusual to get full time enquiries (at least round here) so as long as you don't mind working weekends and having Mon, Tues off with oh, go for it!!!:thumbsup:

Chanelle
11-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I wont be working weekends because my step-daughter comes for the weekend ... I would go for it if it fits with your family and commitments...

... There may not be any pre-schoo;l groups open, but play areas will be, so you could always go to them instead .. or the park etc ...

Would the pay be the same as weekdays or would you be able to charge more ... unsocialble hours etc ..

Daftbat
11-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I work weekends but not as much as i used to. I used to be busy all the time on saturdays and even the odd sunday but over time things have changed and i only do the odd saturday here and there for a single mum who is a nurse.

I have found that i really appreciate my weekends now and i know my children are happier that i don't work them. You have to do what suits you but if you work every weekend and have monday and tuesday off it might be worth bearing in mind that your own kids will be at school on your days off even thought your partner is at home.

Hope things work out

vickie83
11-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I never even thought of that Chanelle :rolleyes:
Carolyn my only concern was having to potentially turn away f/t work but like your area I don't think there's an abundance of full time mindee's to fill places.
I don't have any children of my own yet so thats not really an issue.
The lady I spoke to said 6 had advertised working weekends but only myself and 1 other minder said they would when she rang. It's another USP (can you tell I've been reading business-y stuff:laughing:) and it works for us for the moment so I think I'm going to go for it:o

jibberjitz
11-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I dont want to work w/e but I would say of it fits in well with you then :thumbsup:

buildingblocks
14-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I do consider it depending on what is happening at the time I am asked. I do charge double time at the moment so £7 an hour but mainly as I don't really want to work it. hubby and I have just filled in the local form asking about our business and have put we are available to work Saturdays i am also rethingking my charge. Why as I have had a quote of £10K for completely redeveloping our back garden to make it a better space for hte children so I need to work Saturdays to help pay for it can afford it Just working Mon - Fri but the extra on a Saturday will mean Gary and I can still enjoy ourselves on our day off.

helenlc
14-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I would go for it as you have no children of your own so it doesnt matter that they will be in school etc.

For you and your OH Monday and Tuesday will be your weekend.

There will still be things on a weekend to do - maybe sign up for some dance/sport/drama etc classes for little one on a Saturday. That way, they will still get to mix with other children their age. My local library is open on a Saturday and there's always the park, farms etc.

I charge £2 more then my hourly rate for unsociable hours ie outside 8-6 Monday to Friday and weekends.

tammerisk
15-03-2009, 03:04 PM
i used to work sat before i moved and i chaged £7 hour so one child would be the same as have a partimer all week for me i might consider going back to working weeekends now as we really need the money at the momnet

rickysmiths
15-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I would go for it if it suits your family thats the beauty of childminding and being your own boss. This contract means that you can have a Monday/Tueday weekend great. Don't worry about full timers if you work Wed to Sat that is a full week isn'tit!! and you can charge more for Sat, I charge 11/2 fees for a Sat.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't actually have children but I seem to work all weekend - my family and paperwork

If it fits in with you I would go for it and try it.