PDA

View Full Version : HELP ADVICE NEEDED QUICKLY PLEASE!

Mollymop
11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Need advice about worms quite quick, cos mum is collecting soon

My mindee has just done a soiled nappy. She has long like ribbon bits - like she has been eating long bits of grass but it is not grass in her poo. There a re quite a few in her nappy and in her poo.

is this worms?

Her mum is looking after her sisters dog for the week, just wondering if it could be worms

Could someone give me some idea what worms look like when they come out in poo?

Sorry I am turning your stomach, just need to know what to say to mum.

Are they contagious, how long would mindee need to be off for if it is worms?

Chatterbox Childcare
11-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I would say the best thing to do is show mum the nappy. She has to make a decision then to take it further.

Alternatively google it and I am sure you will get a picture in images

amirose
11-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Yes could be thread worms they look exactly like spaghetti and can be caught from animals, google thread worms (I will too) hopefully you will get answers to the rest of your questions

Andrea08
11-03-2009, 02:32 PM
ok hun stop and breath,,

put nappy in a nappy sack and keep to give to mum

worms are normaly little white and thin .

i know a child who got worms from holding a dirty football and biting nails!!!

its more common than you think because people dont talk about it

the dr. will give mum something for the child and tell her you need a responce from the dr if child needs to stay at home ..

now im going to go wash my hands again :p

xx

beerheaven
11-03-2009, 02:33 PM
As Debbie said I would show nappy contents to mum - how gross!!
Don't you just love this job! :)

According to my HPA poster there is no exclusion period for threadworms but I think I would ask mum to check with GP.

Mollymop
11-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I have looked at images when I googled and I don't think it is threadworms.
They are dark coloured and rope looking, nothing like the pictures show.

I will still ask mum and show her.

But don't think it is worms now.

On my way to the school now, thanks for your help

sarah707
11-03-2009, 02:48 PM
One of my ex mindees used to eat threads from her dressing gown.

She was later diagnosed with autism... it was just one of her 'things'.

You have no idea how freaked I was when I first saw them in her nappy!! :eek:

Twinkles
11-03-2009, 06:35 PM
One of my own children had this (years ago ) and I suddenly realised it was cabbage ! It was the stringy bits from a white cabbage he'd been eating a day or so before.
If it was worms they'd probably still be wriggling http://bestsmileys.com/nono/4.gif

essexgirl1967
11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
If a child, particularly a baby, eats a lot of bananas this can also show as black threads in a nappy, basically parts of the banana pass straight through the digestive system without being absorbed. I was convinced eldest DS must have eaten bits of cotton when I first saw it. Many years of minding later, I've had to reassure several mums that it is perfectly normal. HTH x

Chanelle
11-03-2009, 07:23 PM
If a child, particularly a baby, eats a lot of bananas this can also show as black threads in a nappy, basically parts of the banana pass straight through the digestive system without being absorbed. I was convinced eldest DS must have eaten bits of cotton when I first saw it. Many years of minding later, I've had to reassure several mums that it is perfectly normal. HTH x

I was going to say exactlly that !! lol

Dragonfly
11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
one of my mindees used to eat cotton from the curtains!!! looked just like worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chanelle
11-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I would actually hate to see a nappy from a child with worms !! The thought is just revolting !! ... all those little things wriggling !!! Urgh !! :doh:

miffy
11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
So what did mum think when you showed her the nappy?

Sorry, also need to go and wash my hands now! :laughing:

Miffy xx

Ripeberry
11-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Another little gem of info. Did you know that you have to regularly throw away playsand? This is to stop threadworm eggs breeding in the sand. The only way of sterilising the sand is to rinse it in boiling water for at least 5 minutes!
And i thought it was just cat poo we had to look out for :eek:

Chanelle
11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Another little gem of info. Did you know that you have to regularly throw away playsand? This is to stop threadworm eggs breeding in the sand. The only way of sterilising the sand is to rinse it in boiling water for at least 5 minutes!
And i thought it was just cat poo we had to look out for :eek:

Ohhh Yes !! So many evil lttle organisms are in play sand!!
At Nursery we throw away the sand that goes on the floor too... 1 play session and it is normally halved !! lol

Jen4Kids
11-03-2009, 11:00 PM
My hubby informed me he had worms yesterday - so glad i love him :laughing:

The whole of us had to have tablets and another one next week - the kids thought it was great to have an orange sweetie to eat before tea :laughing:

mummyroysof3
12-03-2009, 10:44 AM
just wondered how often you are suposed to change the sand, i knew about throwing away sand that is spilt and ours has a lid so i dont have to worry about the cats getting in

charlotte x

louised
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Her mum is looking after her sisters dog for the week, just wondering if it could be worms

Yes could be thread worms they look exactly like spaghetti and can be caught from animals,

I MUST CLARIFY THAT YOU CANNOT CATCH THREADWORMS FROM ANIMALS!!!
Threadworms are passed from person to person through hands, food, clothes, dust and even toothbrushes. Many of us have threadworms without ever knowing it.

miffy
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
. Many of us have threadworms without ever knowing it.

What a lovely thought :o

Miffy xx

mushpea
12-03-2009, 12:03 PM

I MUST CLARIFY THAT YOU CANNOT CATCH THREADWORMS FROM ANIMALS!!!
Threadworms are passed from person to person through hands, food, clothes, dust and even toothbrushes. Many of us have threadworms without ever knowing it.

This was my understanding too

Mollymop
12-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Yes you can catch worms from pets

http://www.dogchatforum.com/children-catch-worms-from-dogs.htm

LOOPYLISA
12-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I thought this too, ive always had cats- not worms :laughing: :thumbsup:

mushpea
12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
so what was inthe nappy then?

mushpea
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Yes you can catch worms from pets

http://www.dogchatforum.com/children-catch-worms-from-dogs.htm

just read the above and it says threadworms cannot be caught from dogs and they are the long sort that you find in the nappy according to the picture beside it.

Mollymop
12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Ok fine, thanks. Yes, I said "Worms" not thread.., ring... or garden worms I mentioned worms. And worms can be caught by animals. I am dog owner.

What was in her nappy? Mum looked and said she wasn't sure, but we know it wasn't worms. We guess it was from bananas (thanks for the advice) that she eats everyday, but she hasn't been eating here so I am not sure, but left it with mum to work out. What ever they are they are not threadworms or alive.

Thanks for you help

Mollymop
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
so what was inthe nappy then?

Poo and stringy things, read the post above and you'll see.

Twinkles
12-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Poo and stringy things, read the post above and you'll see.

Could it have been the cabbage I mentioned ??

Mollymop
12-03-2009, 10:41 PM
I thought this too, ive always had cats- not worms :laughing: :thumbsup:

well not sure about cats - but dogs and Worms tapeworms, ring worm, NOT that I ever mentioned threadworm. Hope that sorts it out for everyone:rolleyes:

Mollymop
12-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Could it have been the cabbage I mentioned ??

I did ask about nanas sorry I didn't mention Cabbage. I will ask tomorrow.

Mum wasnt' too fazed though she said she has had a nappy like that before.

I had a nappy (soiled) today and was normal.
Thanks x

LOOPYLISA
13-03-2009, 12:54 PM
well not sure about cats - but dogs and Worms tapeworms, ring worm, NOT that I ever mentioned threadworm. Hope that sorts it out for everyone:rolleyes:

Lets hope so :rolleyes:

Chanelle
13-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Yep tis true! Normally through biting nails ... biggest way of catching!

Mollymop
13-03-2009, 08:00 PM
well it was not worms (phew!), but still, this thread is a learning experience

LOOPYLISA
13-03-2009, 08:19 PM
well it was not worms (phew!), but still, this thread is a learning experience

Defanatly !