PDA

View Full Version : moving to a new area

Helen79
11-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Has anyone had experience of moving to another area?

Have you had long to wait before getting new mindees?

we're considering moving soon to a different part of the country but I'm worried about getting new work.
Would I be able to advertise before we move even though ofsted won't have details on my new house & the parent's wouldn't be able to meet me?

Also our house is going on the market next week & I'm worried this will put off potential new mindees. In the current climate it could be years before we sell :( so I could be around for ages but potential parents don't know that.

Rubybubbles
11-03-2009, 10:12 AM
hi there, I move around alot as hubby RAF

I moved in Aug 08, I was really worried as I had a waiting list and was told that there was no need for childminders in my new area (so many already:panic: )

But I moved and got work within 2 weeks, as soon as I had a new address I let Ofsted know and sent them a floor plan and risk assesment, they then sent my new certificate to the new house

I understand it would be different as you will be waiting for a sale and stuff, so no idea on that point sorry

rickysmiths
11-03-2009, 11:22 AM
I moved 5 years ago after living in one place for 20yrs and starting my cm business and never having a problen filling vacancies.

We moved ten miles further out of London into Hertfordshire. I brought on child with me But she left after 4months because her mum moved!

I must say it took me about 18mths-2yrs to fill up with full timers I took on a lot of bits and piecies to start with. The good thing now is that I have 3 full timers 2 part timers and have built a relationship with the local school and I am turning away people but have built a little micro community.

In fact I am interviewing 2 prospective Assistants this week, I have a sibbling wanting to come in Aug and I have several schoolies on a waiting list for Sept and I don't have the twin sister that I wish I had!!!!!

I got in touch with a local Childminding Group and I think that helped with filling the vacancies because I heard about the people the established cms didn't have room for. It also kept me sane while I was waiting to fill the vacancies.

It will depend very much on where you are moving to.

I didn't tell any of my mindees that we were moving until we had sold our flat and bought the house. I didn't want to loose business.

bubbly
11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Also our house is going on the market next week & I'm worried this will put off potential new mindees. In the current climate it could be years before we sell :( so I could be around for ages but potential parents don't know that.
I've had my house on the market since last July so I understand your concerns. I too am hoping to move to another part of the country.

Just tell any prospective mindees that you're moving to a bigger house in the same local area. Also, if anyone wants to come and meet with you, just mention on the phone that you have a 'for sale' sign outside but are staying local. That way no one will get an unexpected surprise.

I had an offer on my house on Monday but unfortunately it was very low. I've already reduced my house by £20,000 due to the falling market conditions but these people offered £25,000 below the new asking price. Cheeky beggars! :angry:

tulip0803
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I moved from England to Wales and had to re-register completely as not OFSTED here it's CSSIW. Has taken ages to get re-registered due to local planning departments stupid rules:( (which have now been changed:) ). And having to completely re-register I had to attend a breifing session to tell me about childminding:rolleyes: ,they even talked about sending me on ICP again:panic:

Now I am registered but have hit credit crunch & there are no enquiries at all:( .

nannymcflea
11-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Do you need to put up a sale board? Could you try without one? If you are on a main road you may get the odd person spotting the board but if you live in a quiet street or cul-de-sac I would try without one.
Just a thought.

bubbly
11-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Do you need to put up a sale board? Could you try without one? If you are on a main road you may get the odd person spotting the board but if you live in a quiet street or cul-de-sac I would try without one.
Just a thought.
My estate agent advised me it's absolutely VITAL to have a 'for sale' board up (I started off by not having one). He was right - since the board went up I've had renewed interest - and I live in a cul-de-sac.

In the current bad market conditions, you need to give yourself the best possible chance of a sale and I'd definitely advise having a board. You never know, a neighbour may see your board and have a friend who could be interested. Word of mouth is very important.

brillminder
11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
i guess you have to advertise and put adds out when you move introduce your self to one and all as daa=ffy duck the childminder and give a card too lol good luck