PDA

View Full Version : Two apples

venus89
11-03-2009, 08:26 AM
my lack of communication mum has been at it again. Yesterday baby (9 months) turns up not with the usual bottles with water/tubs of powder but with beakers (empty) and tubs of powder - no indication how much water. So I do my est and write and tell her ho much I put in and askif thi is ok - a coule of other queries i had to....

No answer today, till the same. She also put two apples i his ag - no instructions how to give them to him.

How would you give a apple to a 9 month old?

Jules12Wed
11-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Think I would peel it and cut it into wedges for him to chew on.

Chell
11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Well DD is 7mths, we are doing mainly BLW Baby Led Weaning, weaning with finger foods rather than purees) but she hasn't had chunks of apple yet as it is so hard.

She sometimes has some apple in her breakfast. I peel and slice it then pop it in the microwave in a little water. I then blitz it. If I was giving it to her as a finger food then I would possibly slice it and microwave it a tiny bit to soften it.

How does he do with finger food? Does he have teeth?

venus89
11-03-2009, 08:56 AM
They're doing blw too- he does have teeth and is fine with chewing - I was going to go with the peel and slice, just wasn't sure - it's been a long time since mine were little and they were on purees and mush at that age for main meals and finger foods for snacks

mushpea
11-03-2009, 09:18 AM
is there any chance you could text mum and ask her or email her?

venus89
11-03-2009, 09:43 AM
no. She works in a shop so the only way I can ask her is to phone the shop - she keeps her mobile off during the day. I don't really want to call her at work about apples but will mention this to Grandad when he picks up. She is the most incredibly difficult person to communicate with, business wise, I'm sure it's the long hours she works. but I wish she would answer my letters/phonecalls etc.

I used to have a parent who liked me to grate the apple for her daughter.

Chatterbox Childcare
11-03-2009, 09:48 AM
I would send a text saying that you need a meeting ASAP and put a final date and could she contact you to organise

As to the apple, I would either stew it and put it in a yoghurt, grate it or cut it into small pieces. At this age it isn't nutritional but an experience so if it goes over the floor it doesn't matter.

If you are unsure of the milk quantities and don't have any instructions I would go to the supermarket and look at their tins!

Chell
11-03-2009, 09:49 AM
http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/8/7/2208275.html = have a look at the comments below the blog post.

venus89
11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for that, chell - those comments were interesting.

LO received apple number one cut into slices and ate about half of it. It did take him a while to eat that but he seemed to enjoy it. I think I'll follow the steaming for a couple of minutes idea, though, depending on how he gets on with grated apple next time.

I did get a text from Mum half way through the afternoon confirming that I was giving the right amount of water to the milk and asking me to slice or grate the apple. She didn't say to peel it but I'd already fed it to him by then, peeled, so it was a bit too late :blush: