PDA

View Full Version : Sure a similar question has been asked before....

venus89
10-03-2009, 07:59 PM
One of my mindees parents - a teacher - is pregnant, due in July. I only have lo on day a week, term time only, for 8 hours. She was in a hurry when she picked up today but said to me that we must talk soon about how much notice she needs t give me, and when she comes back, and if she needs to pay in the meantime.

She went back to work when this lo was about 7 months old so I guess she'll be looking to do the same again, meaning February 09ish although obviously until we've talked then I don't know for sure what her plans are.

If a mindees parent takes matenity leave, would you charge them a retainer? If so, what percentage of their ordinary fee would you ask, or would you ask for a non refundable deposit for their return. Or would you just tell them you'll have to see what the situation is come February?

Twinkles
10-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I give them a choice. They can pay half fees 'till they return or they can take a chance that I have a space.
Have to say most have been happy to pay the retainer.

miffy
10-03-2009, 08:05 PM
If a mindees parent takes matenity leave, would you charge them a retainer? If so, what percentage of their ordinary fee would you ask, or would you ask for a non refundable deposit for their return. Or would you just tell them you'll have to see what the situation is come February?

It's entirely up to you - if she wants to keep the place open then half-fee retainer is not unreasonable - she may want the lo to come to you anyway whilst she rests or just has time with the new baby.

I'd wait and see what her plans are before you commit to anything

Miffy xx

venus89
10-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Thank you both - I obviously will wait and see what she has to say before I put in tuppence ha'penny, I just want to have things straight in my head so I don't flounder when we do talk - I'm still relatively new to this and still suffering from a couple of dumb things I agreed to in the name of trying to please prospective parents :laughing:

miffy
10-03-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm still relatively new to this and still suffering from a couple of dumb things I agreed to in the name of trying to please prospective parents :laughing:

Think most of us have suffered like this at some point :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
10-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I have a mum off at the moment. I had her dd 5 days a week though. She left at the beginning of Dec last with a return in Aug this year. It was quite a blow to the finances.

What we did, they pay me a token retainer and their dd has come to me one day a week to keep the contact up. I took on a small baby two days a week in Dec and when the sibblings return in August I will get a variation to cover the sibbling.

I would be frank with the mother and ask if the child can continue maybe a slightly reduced day, as it is only one day a week. This will keep continuity and the older sibbling will be able to welcome the younger into their world.

I would guess the teacher will be paid for her maternity leave in which case it should not be a problem to afford the one day. Good luck.