PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Proposal

Spangles
04-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Just received my NCMA update and it's got this in it :

Register of childcare providers

Ofsted is planning to publish more information online about registered childcare providers, and has launched a consultation.

Currently, Ofsted's website shows the inspection reports of all childcare providers (including any complaints), and the conditions of registration. With the exception of childminders, the Ofsted website also shows the names and addresses of childcare providers.

Ofsted is proposing that they publish a more comprehensive register through their website which will include childminders' addresses and other details.

You can respond to the consultation by filling in a short questionnaire online at http://live.ofsted.gov.uk/surveys/childcareregister/.

The consultation closes on 14 February 2008.

So, it seems like they want to put our addresses on the Ofsted site now. I know some of you are quite passionate about this type of information being available so thought I'd put this update on here. Goodness knows what the 'other details' part will include!

What do you think?

angeldelight
04-12-2007, 09:14 AM
This is all to do with this what I posted last week in the old forum

Read this and see what you all think

They do want childminders to repsond if you look at the bottom of the page

.................................................. .................................................

Childcare Act 2006: Future Approach to fees and subsidies - consultation
On 21 November 2007 the DCSF launched their consultation into a proposed new fees structure for the Early Years Register (EYR) and Ofsted Childcare Register (OCR). The government is seeking views on the following proposals for childminders:

To charge the same fee for both the voluntary and compulsory elements of the OCR, and for both new registrations and renewals;
To raise the fee for registering on the OCR to £103 as of September 2008;
To introduce gradual increases in registration fees for the EYR in 2008 and 2009 (to £25 and then £30) followed by a substantial increase in 2010 (to £100);
Those registering on both the OCR and EYR will only pay fees for the EYR;
Criminal Records Bureau checks will continue to be subsidised by Ofsted;
To utilise the savings that government will make by increasing the registration fees to provide additional resources to local authorities to provide grants and other assistance to early years providers, based on a local assessment of need.

The consultation notes that "…no proposed fee is more than approximately 1.5% of the mean net annual income for the relevant part of the sector…" and argues that a "simpler, fairer fees system… will provide a better balance between what childcare providers can afford to pay and support from the tax payer…".

NCMA is concerned that the new fees represent a significant new burden for childminders. An increase of 400 per cent for the EYR over three years and 686 per cent for the OCR over one year will come as a significant shock to childminders, half of whom earn less than £7000 per year. NCMA is particularly concerned that childminders currently caring for children aged 5-7 that will have little time to prepare for the higher OCR charges.

NCMA feels that this additional burden may undermine childminders' efforts to sustain their businesses, thereby hampering the government's aim to meet its target of increasing the availability and affordability of childcare – especially for hard-to-reach groups with whom childminders are particularly suited to working.

NCMA is not convinced that replacing discounted fees that apply to all providers with a new system of subsidies will benefit small businesses such as childminders. Larger businesses are better placed to bid for grants and aid, especially where they have dedicated administrators or managers able to pursue funds and meet officials. Childminders are often individuals working in their own home for whom running a business is secondary to their concern for the well-being of children and their relationship with the families with whom they work. NCMA is concerned that they may therefore miss out on the opportunities available.

NCMA will respond to the consultation in full before 20 February. Due to the importance of this consultation, we would urge all childminders to respond as well. The consultation can be seen online at www.dcsf.gov.uk

You can respond at online or in writing to:
Consultation Unit
Department for Children Schools and Families
Area 1A
Castle View House
East Lane
Runcorn
Cheshire
WA7 2GJ

or by e-mail to: Fees.CONSULTATION@dcsf.gsi.gov.uk

sarah707
04-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Oh! I just re-posted this in the chat section... down there

Pauline
04-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks Lorri, I haven't got round to reading my NCMA update yet.

I'll pin this message as I think it important that everyone tries to respond, I certainly don't want my address available to all and sundry, there are some very funny people out there and those of us who work alone would be very vulnerable.

nannan
09-12-2007, 05:53 PM
like Pauline I do not want my address available to just anyone, and I feel quite strong about this, also the proposed updated fees will end up putting childminders back 10years if we are forced to pay the increase, as a lot of childminders wont register and mind without ofsted knowing,

TracyL
23-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Under the Data Protection Act of 1998, it is illegal to publish any individual's personal details without first obtaining prior consent and written authorisation from the individual first. This includes the publication of personal details such as name/address/telephone number etc.

Ofsted have undertaken a public consultation to assess whether or not childminders would be willing to have their information published on the internet. This does not necessarily mean that they will do it - they are testing the water to understand what the likely reaction may be.

There is an argument for having information in the public domain - I have a website which contains my name and mobile phone number but no other personal details. I am operating a business, after all.

Bottom line is, unless you sign a permission form, allowing Ofsted to publish your personal details on the internet, then for them to do so would be breaking the law.

Tracy XXX

sarah707
26-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Well it's a wait and see game now I suppose! :D

Ofsted's three-month online consultation about changes to the inspection of
early years settings has now closed. It attracted 700 responses from those
involved in the care and education of children in this group.
From September 2008, all early years settings are required to register with
Ofsted and their provision must meet the requirements of the Early Years
Foundation Stage, a revised framework for the education and welfare of children up to five years old.

The consultation sought comments on the changes, which are designed to ensure that all types of early years provision are inspected in the same way, whether in a maintained or independent school, in a childminder's home, day nursery, pre-school or private nursery school.

We are now analysing the feedback and considering how to proceed. Fuller details of the consultation findings and the proposed way forward will be available in the next edition of Ofsted news.