PDA

View Full Version : Help with letter to parent

amirose
10-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Hiya,

I had 2 children start with me last Monday. They are 9 and 11 so the dad drops them off and leaves - in fact he drives off before I even open the door :rolleyes:

Anyway last Thursday I told the children to tell their dad that he needed to come in on Friday to sign the register etc Friday came and he didn't come in and was gone before I had the chance to say anything. I gave the invoice for next weeks money to the children (what else could I do?) and told them to tell dad that he really needed to come in Monday to sign the register, sign the accident book (RE R's spots) and sort out payment. Monday came and R came in with an envelope containing the payment and dad drove off :panic: This time, sure that dad would come in, I had had all the paper work out on the table and the list of things needing signatures had grown to include parental responsibility forms (thanks guys :rolleyes: :laughing: ). So on Monday I said look its really important dad comes in tomorrow I have to get the register signed once a week. I gave them the parental responsibility forms (as mum needs to sign it too anyway).

Guess what - Dad drove off again today :angry:

I am certain the kids are passing on my messages as B (older mindee) told me today he was half way through the PRF - HOWEVER - I am wrong to just assume and therefore want to start with a nice friendly letter then move on to a formal letter explaining what happens if he doesn't come in (termination) if that doesn't work. Problem is, I am a new childminder and the kids have only been with me a week and a half and I am scared of causing offence/problem as I am really not very good at writing letters.

Would really appreciate some help here guys!

P.S R's spots are apparently spider bites :eek: :eek: :panic:

FizzysFriends
10-03-2009, 12:48 PM
If he drops off at the same time I would be waiting outside for him, if he's really in a rush he could arrange a to come 5 mins early once a week to sign anything you need him to sign?

nannymcflea
10-03-2009, 12:52 PM
You need to make sure dad comes and knocks on the door to collect each night,you could go out and say "they are getting ready can you please come and sign" or take the book to him and shove it under his nose!
It is hard when you first start knowing how far to go, with your next lot of minded kids I'm sure you'll be more assertive.
I cannot believe the things I let people get away with...not now though!

I'd write a letter stating that due to health and safety the children need picking up from the door and the register signing,failure to do so may result in termination of contract.

Good luck.

huggableshelly
10-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I would write a note to be handed to mum explaining what is needed to be done, dont issue any warning with it but if it becomes a regular issue after you have pointed it out in a letter then I would write again being more forecful.

amirose
10-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Hiya,

Thanks for the replies at the moment drop off time is anything between 6.55am - 7.10am :rolleyes:

I live in a block of flats too which doesn't help because the kids press the buzzer and by the times I dash down his gone :rolleyes: On Monday I thought he'd come up with the kids so I buzzed them in and it was too late.

It would be a lot easier if he was picking them up but he drops them off in the morning and I take them to school - they then collect them from school. Even then though he waits in the car and the kids go find him - I would feel very on top to go looking for his car with them :panic:

I think a note might be the idea huggableshelly - if I do it on a scrap of paper it makes it nice and informal then if it doesn't work I will get tougher. Perhaps I could just put:

Just a quick note to let you know that the register needs signing once a week so if you could let me know a day that would be convenient for you to come up that would be great,

Thanks,
Ami

I told you I was rubbish at writing letters :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

manjay
10-03-2009, 01:15 PM
If this were me I think I would be inclined to ring the parents. If you give a letter they may blame the children for not giving it to them:rolleyes:

Minstrel
10-03-2009, 01:15 PM
No i think that sounds great-nice and informal. Hope he listens!

Twinkles
10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree , why not give them a ring tonight ? It can be more informal and you can use it to find out if they're happy with the service you are providing and if they think the children are happy too. Always good to have that sort of chat when you take on newbies :thumbsup:

hectors house
10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Shocked that he doesn't even wait for you to open the door - what would happen if (heaven help) you or your family had an emergency and had to get straight to hospital - you might not be in or might not have been able to get hold of him to let him know.

Many years ago when I minded before (pre-Ofsted), I reported a parent to social services for doing just this - she took the child away from me after 4 years (child about 6 at time) to use a friend (who was free), the friend had a daughter who had severe asthma - sometimes had to go to hospital in night - well this parent was just dropping child off in street and driving off - the friend might have not even been home - (a time before mobile phones).

This dad needs to be informed of his legal committment to have you as a childminder - you would be picked up on your Ofsted inspection for not having the register signed - although some of my parents do sign several weeks at once, sometimes.::mad:

rickysmiths
10-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Perhaps as this is a new contract and you are new, a phone call asking if you could pop over one evening or at the weekend to catch up on the paperwork.

Then you could have a chat about the dropping off and the importance of signing the paperwork. After all they are new to this as well.:idea: :idea: