PDA

View Full Version : Totally fed up with parent sending ill children to me

essexgirl1967
10-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi!

Been a childminder 11 years so used to parents trying to send ill children to me, but in last few weeks this seems to have got ridiculous.

I have a policy where if a child is too ill for school ( I only look after school aged kids) then they are too ill to come to me. Sickness & diarrhoea is specifically mentioned in policy as is high temperatures,etc.

About a month ago, one mindee had some spots on her tummy, I was told she was always itchy, but turned out to be chickenpox. Passed it on to several mindees and my DS. I carried on childminding when my DS had it as all other mindees already had it, but gave parents the option not to come, if they were worried about they child being exposed to the germs.

Another DS has recently had a burst ear drum and needs to avoid catarrh building up in it whilst its healing, all mindees parents know about this. Last week had 4 year old mindee dropped ( literally as dad knocked on door and ran down path as soon as I opened the door).

I ended up ringing the mum as he was absolutely boiling hot and very tearful, she said yes he was ill, but had given him calpol and it just needed time to work! I said he couldn't go to school ill and she insisted that he was fine, and practically ORDERED me to take him to school. I did but took him into office and explained that he wasn't well but that parents wanted him to go.

This week, I have a 5 year old mindee that sounds as if she has a chest infection, very tearful, nose and eyes streaming, cries when she has a coughing fit as chest hurts. Texted mum when I collected her yesterday from school to say she needed to go home, mum text back that she was on her way, but still collected at normal pick up time.

She's here again today, mum thinks she is just tired! but says even if she is ill she has to go to school as parents have had too much time off with her lately ( she is the mindee that started the chickenpox).

DH is home this week, and getting really stressed out watching her cough and splutter over everyone especially DS who is supposed to be avoiding getting a cold!

If I could think of any other job I could do to fit around my family I would as this is really getting to me now. It seems that with the credit crunch, parents are so fearful of taking time off in case they lose their jobs that they are sending very unwell kids to school /childminders whatever the situation.

Anyone else having this problem? x

huggableshelly
10-03-2009, 10:52 AM
a child got sent home from school yesterday, parents failed to inform me but school updated me.

today he arrived in my care, apparently well and dr said he is fit enough for school.

he sobbed all the way to school, I took him into the office and school didnt want him but also understand my position too so they have accepted him knowing it will be easier for them to contact parents and demand they pick him up rather than me taking him back home with me.

There is noway at all he is fit enough for school and should not have been dumped on me.

I sympathise with you, its hard to turn a child away when a parent insists that their child is fit and well.

LOOPYLISA
10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Not funny hun x

SimplyLucy
10-03-2009, 12:26 PM
The child that started the chicken pox needs to see a doctor ASAP.

My son had chicken pox last year and exactly a month later ended up in hospital with a really bad case of pneumonia. It is brought on by the chicken pox that he had on his lungs, they take a long time to heal and are prone to infection.

Personally I would slip a copy of your sickness policy in with each bill next month as a gentle reminder.

Ripeberry
10-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Lucy is right. Pain in the chest on coughing is a bad sign! Parents would not get away with this in a nursery so they try it on with us. As for the dad running down the path what a selfish person!

aly
10-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi!

Been a childminder 11 years so used to parents trying to send ill children to me, but in last few weeks this seems to have got ridiculous.

I have a policy where if a child is too ill for school ( I only look after school aged kids) then they are too ill to come to me. Sickness & diarrhoea is specifically mentioned in policy as is high temperatures,etc.

About a month ago, one mindee had some spots on her tummy, I was told she was always itchy, but turned out to be chickenpox. Passed it on to several mindees and my DS. I carried on childminding when my DS had it as all other mindees already had it, but gave parents the option not to come, if they were worried about they child being exposed to the germs.

Another DS has recently had a burst ear drum and needs to avoid catarrh building up in it whilst its healing, all mindees parents know about this. Last week had 4 year old mindee dropped ( literally as dad knocked on door and ran down path as soon as I opened the door).

I ended up ringing the mum as he was absolutely boiling hot and very tearful, she said yes he was ill, but had given him calpol and it just needed time to work! I said he couldn't go to school ill and she insisted that he was fine, and practically ORDERED me to take him to school. I did but took him into office and explained that he wasn't well but that parents wanted him to go.

This week, I have a 5 year old mindee that sounds as if she has a chest infection, very tearful, nose and eyes streaming, cries when she has a coughing fit as chest hurts. Texted mum when I collected her yesterday from school to say she needed to go home, mum text back that she was on her way, but still collected at normal pick up time.

She's here again today, mum thinks she is just tired! but says even if she is ill she has to go to school as parents have had too much time off with her lately ( she is the mindee that started the chickenpox).

DH is home this week, and getting really stressed out watching her cough and splutter over everyone especially DS who is supposed to be avoiding getting a cold!

If I could think of any other job I could do to fit around my family I would as this is really getting to me now. It seems that with the credit crunch, parents are so fearful of taking time off in case they lose their jobs that they are sending very unwell kids to school /childminders whatever the situation.

Anyone else having this problem? x

Try charging them double time...I mean if you end up with it you will lose money so it's only right....see if they try then!!

sammy
10-03-2009, 06:30 PM
The child that started the chicken pox needs to see a doctor ASAP.

My son had chicken pox last year and exactly a month later ended up in hospital with a really bad case of pneumonia. It is brought on by the chicken pox that he had on his lungs, they take a long time to heal and are prone to infection.

Personally I would slip a copy of your sickness policy in with each bill next month as a gentle reminder.

yes my son had exactly the same thing, apparently your more likely to catch pnuemonia after chicken pox as your immune system is low too. He was really bad and hospitalised-he also had sickness and diarreah really bad too, he was only 13 months!! i also had a really bad chest infection and was 5 months pregnant, not nice, the thing is i didnt even get myself sorted out as i was so worried about my son.

Lady Haha
10-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Hate to repeat others, but my friends little boy also got very ill a month after his chicken pox and was in hospital. I do feel sorry for the mum, she is probably scared to take more time off work and is burying her head in the sand. BUT! She shouldnt be sending her children off toschool if they are ill either!

I get it sometimes too. Parents don't seem to realise how much thier kids can drop them in it sometimes! A couple of times I've had kids dropped here in the morning for school only for them to go on to tell me all about how sick they were in the night and all the gory details!