PDA

View Full Version : childcare reforms

Hebs
10-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Have just read on sky news that from next year parents will be able to comment on individual childcare providers on a website designed to give the public more influence.

Wgat do you think???

Twinkles
10-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Well , the majority of parents will be fair but having read on here about all the malicious complaints that are put to OFSTED I'd be a bit worried that the nasty ones will get to ruin a minders reputation :(

Hebs
10-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah twinkle that's what I thought, open to abuse

miffy
10-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Well , the majority of parents will be fair but having read on here about all the malicious complaints that are put to OFSTED I'd be a bit worried that the nasty ones will get to ruin a minders reputation :(

I agree. It takes years to build up a good reputation and minutes for some vindictive person to ruin it.

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Does not sound a great idea does it

Angel xx

uf353432
10-03-2009, 07:58 AM
after reading the post the first thing that popped in my head was ebay feedback.

It could be great if its all positive, depends if negative is moderated first, nd if a cm gets a right to reply to set the strory straight.

amirose
10-03-2009, 08:56 AM
I think any negative comments should have a period of time where you can respond - if you can prove the comments are unfounded then they should be removed immediately.

I don't like this idea at all - what if you get some muppet who you never even worked for leave a comment???

rickysmiths
10-03-2009, 09:14 AM
I think any negative comments should have a period of time where you can respond - if you can prove the comments are unfounded then they should be removed immediately.

I don't like this idea at all - what if you get some muppet who you never even worked for leave a comment???

Yet something else to keep an eye on!!!! I think there will be so much info out there that the parents we want will visit us and make their own judgments.

Chatterbox Childcare
10-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Everyone took a negative slant - interesting.

It would also be a good place for us to been given good comments - think we will have to leave some of our own though!

huggableshelly
10-03-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree Debbie

I think this could be a good thing as it opens out how parents see and think and can help us to see how we can improve our settings.

I would like to think there will never be anything negative about me but if there is then I'll take it as constructive cristism and look at ways to improve myself.

I've not seen anything about it but I presume it will be well moderated and any serious vendettas will result in ofsted getting involved (or atleast I expect they would).

at the end of the day we can only do our best, we wont ever manage to impress everyone and keep everyone happy, thats not possible but we aim to try.

amirose
10-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Hmmm, I have a feedback system on the website of my other business (children's party planning) and would I remove a negative comment?:idea: If it was constructive - no if it was malicious - yes. What I don't like is me not having that control - someone else having it.

I thought half the point of ofsted inspections was feedback for the parents :rolleyes:

Annie_T
10-03-2009, 09:52 AM
not heard bout this ... it could work out good but could be bad too ... but would parents really use it ... we shall see

Jules12Wed
10-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Sounds good in principle but like has been said before there are some malicous parents or other childminders out there who could abuse a website like this.

yummymummy
10-03-2009, 01:47 PM
My husband is a builder and is on checkatrade, you would be surprised how people take it literally as total gospel and if you don't get 10 out of 10 for everything they totally ignore you. People rave about his workmanship, timekeeping, politeness etc (he has never got a job from being in checkatrade anyway all his is on personal recommendation) then give him 7 out of 10 for estimating when the reason their bill is for more is because halfway through the job they've asked for extra work to be done, which he has again quoted for and they've accepted!
What I would be worried about is that opinions are totally subjective and those opinions can affect our livelihood and reputation. I know that it should be viewed that we should have nothing to hide but as stated before there are some malicious people out there and if anonymous "reviews" can be given online I would be very concerned.

Spangles
10-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure they will have thought about people leaving vindictive and untrue comments so they will have a procedure in place to stop it.

There must be some safeguards or, in theory, you'd be able to get friends and family to put ficticious comments on about how fab you are pretending to be mindee parents!

It could be very good as I think people are very keen on getting recommendations through word of mouth which is what this would kind of be.

x