PDA

View Full Version : do i risk assess my home everyday??

lindas lot
09-03-2009, 10:56 PM
hello so many questions sorry! just sorting out policies again and should i be doing a risk assessment every morning bofore my mindees arrive or during the day?like fridge temp and recording all this daily?Just trying to work it out so i can put a template on file lol:) many thanks :)

Tups
09-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Ide like to no the answer to that one annmac

Chanelle
10-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I am not yet registered but as I will be offering food I am going to do these checks ...
Fridge Temp Check
Freezer Temp Checks
Hot Food temperature Checks

I also did a cleaning rota too !

You dont have to do these but just shows good practice if you do. :)
I think you also have to register that you provide food ... still need to look into this :)

lindas lot
10-03-2009, 12:34 AM
many thanks i will draw up a template! what would i do with out this website lol it good to know i am not the only one still up!!!

huggableshelly
10-03-2009, 06:20 AM
I have a daily checklist stating the obvious on it but it only takes a few minutes to ensure full safety.

my daily list basically states the areas used for childminding.

front lounge
back lounge
kitchen - see food safety folder
hallway
porch
downstairs bathroom
keys to kitchen door
keys to back patio doors
padlock on shed
garden gate bolted top and bottom
playhouse in a usable state (this is done last thing at nigh when i tidy up really but some nights everything gets thrown in so I check it in the morning)

then i have a weekly list which includes a toy cleaning rota
on there is checkin bolts and springs of the trampoline
checking swing boat and slide
checking all other large play equipment
bookcase safety
and much more.

no idea if I'm doing it right either but regular checks and proving they are done is covered from my end.

DudleyChildmind
10-03-2009, 06:30 AM
I have laminated my check list and I just tick it off each day with a felt tip pen. It's so easy because I rub it off each morning and start again.

huggableshelly
10-03-2009, 06:34 AM
I have laminated my check list and I just tick it off each day with a felt tip pen. It's so easy because I rub it off each morning and start again.

i thought about doing that but was worried about showing evidence during an inspection. I might just have to get the laminator out again.

DudleyChildmind
10-03-2009, 06:36 AM
I had my inspection a few weeks ago and she was happy with the way I do it :)

huggableshelly
10-03-2009, 06:40 AM
great thankyou, that will save on paper and storage too.

DudleyChildmind
10-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Yes it does and it's so much quicker and easier. I also have it stuck on my fridge door to remind me :thumbsup:

louised
10-03-2009, 07:57 AM
_

This is a great idea, and I'm glad to hear your inspector approved, but I think I will be adding a space for the date as there was a recent thread about a childminder who was pulled up on her inspection about undated risk assessments.

HomefromHome
10-03-2009, 08:01 AM
spanner in the works time.....

i've heard that we now have to prove we are doing daily checks and using a laminated sheet as a rub-off checklist was no longer appropriate!!!!

so, i now am changing mine to, the list, followed by dated columns for ticking. a month to each side to save paper!

lalalala dodododo

:blush: :o

FizzysFriends
10-03-2009, 08:05 AM

i've heard that we now have to prove we are doing daily checks and using a laminated sheet as a rub-off checklist was no longer appropriate!!!!

so, i now am changing mine to, the list, followed by dated columns for ticking. a month to each side to save paper!

lalalala dodododo

I have changed mine after the thread about having to have dated RA's.

What layout are you using to get a month on 1 page? I tried for ages but can only get a week per page.

sarah707
10-03-2009, 08:13 AM

lalalala dodododo

That's what I understand as well.

HomefromHome
10-03-2009, 08:20 AM
I have changed mine after the thread about having to have dated RA's.

What layout are you using to get a month on 1 page? I tried for ages but can only get a week per page.

blimmin small tick columns!!!!!
am doin this week so will let you know if i succeed! i think it does work as others in our area are changing to this.

w/b 9/3/09 16/3/09 23/3/09
daily risk item/MTWTF/MTWTF/MTWTF

the date will probably have to be written in vertical! but hope you get the idea!!!!!:D

HomefromHome
10-03-2009, 08:21 AM
blimmin small tick columns!!!!!
am doin this week so will let you know if i succeed! i think it does work as others in our area are changing to this.

w/b 9/3/09 16/3/09 23/3/09
daily risk item/MTWTF/MTWTF/MTWTF

the date will probably have to be written in vertical! but hope you get the idea!!!!!:D

the date is meant to be above the column wi days of the week!

manjay
10-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I have a daily tick list in my journal that came from one of Sarah's ebooks. It's something I write in every morning before the children arrive so I never forget. I don't have to answer to Ofsted but I would be very wary of not having evidence to back up the fact that I do it every day.

mertonparker
13-03-2009, 12:04 AM
This is my daily risk assessment.
I tick as I check all areas then if there are any actions I place an A in the box and write the action in the action box. If there is more than one action for the same thing in a week I write it underneath with the appropriate days date. I find it very simple to use. I print both sides of the paper.

mertonparker.x

Bex1
16-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I am going to steal your idea...thanks I thought risk assessments were so much more complex! Therefore with this RA all I do is check each room and if for example there is a plug socket that for some reason has been taken out (i.e. hubbie used to plug laptop into!!) then I would list in action, covered socket again?

Is that correct?

Allie
16-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I didn't do anything that complicated and I still got outstanding, basicly I have risk assessments for everything but only note things like fridge temp, garden and downstairs on a daily record sheet. I also have a health an safety policy ad on that is the cleaning schedule

Allie

mertonparker
27-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I am going to steal your idea...thanks I thought risk assessments were so much more complex! Therefore with this RA all I do is check each room and if for example there is a plug socket that for some reason has been taken out (i.e. hubbie used to plug laptop into!!) then I would list in action, covered socket again?

Is that correct?

Hi, Sorry for late reply-have been away.
Yes , your right in how to complete the R/A.-hope it works for you. does for me. easy peasy.

mertonparker.x

singlewiththree
28-04-2009, 06:55 AM
I now have a small A5 book and on the first page lists all the checks I'm doing and inside I just use one line to put the date a tick and anything I ammended such as put a socket cover back in, locked shed etc.

Mrs.L.C
11-05-2009, 07:19 AM
I now have a small A5 book and on the first page lists all the checks I'm doing and inside I just use one line to put the date a tick and anything I ammended such as put a socket cover back in, locked shed etc.

I do the same

Chatterbox Childcare
11-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Your risk assessments are in place so they don't need to be done everyday but you can have check lists if you want to.

You automatically risk assess each activity you do mentally and I don't see that you need to write it down

jeanybeany
11-05-2009, 11:59 AM
i thought about doing that but was worried about showing evidence during an inspection. I might just have to get the laminator out again.

I have been visited this morning by the advisory team for my area and she has given me a template for a daily checklist. I already do one but there's seems easier, so am going to use that one. She mentioned about laminating it and wiping it clean everyday, but apparently one cm was pulled up on this as she had no evidence to show that she did do it everyday. Ofsted are looking for this apparently as part of your risk assessments.

Hth :)

RainbowMum
11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I use a checklist and cleaning rota adapted from Sarah's e book - I dont use paper though - I do it all on the laptop and save it daily & by the month. Ofsted lady was very happy with this - I also have it on the list to check fridge tem & record it on my daily diary which I also complete and keep on laptop.