PDA

View Full Version : Do you drive??

estrelas
09-03-2009, 08:19 PM
just wanted some opinions really. I drive but currently don't have a car, use my partners at weekends and evenings

I plan to walk to school as its nearby and its a nightmare for parking
but i'm thinking its probably best to get a car?? for days out etc?
Do you drive? is it a nightmare childminding without one?

amirose
09-03-2009, 08:26 PM
just wanted some opinions really. I drive but currently don't have a car, use my partners at weekends and evenings

I plan to walk to school as its nearby and its a nightmare for parking
but i'm thinking its probably best to get a car?? for days out etc?
Do you drive? is it a nightmare childminding without one?

I don't drive and have not yet found it a problem, children love to go on the buses and trains - its a novelty as most parents drive their children around these days. Its also good exercise walking to school :thumbsup: (me included :laughing: )

FizzysFriends
09-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I think it depends on where you live. It would be a nightmare not driving around here as the school is too far to walk (and there are no pavements on most of the route) and the buses take ages as they go around all the villages.

Cammie Doodle
09-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't drive either,but have a very understanding Hubby and a very very very good friend and neighbour Carolyn who I go out with all the time lol :D

sarah707
09-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I am lucky there are most things locally like shops, toddlers, ducks etc.

I hardly ever use my car for work.

It does depend on where you live though.

Princess Sara
09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I also can drive but don't have a car, but can use my partners in the evenings and weekends etc.

I plan to get a car eventually, but I want to save up and buy it outright instead of getting finance.

It's a short walk to our school and parking is hell so I wouldn't drive there even if I had loads of children, but it would be useful for days out, but then I'm lucky I can ask my parnter to work from home once in a while as he has the flexability.

singlewiththree
09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
The only reason I have business insurance on my car is if my children are ill as afterall if my DD had an ear infection and needed to stay off school (she has them every 2kws in winter) then having to walk to school would be a nightmare so I have insured my car on an incase basis. However the parents were really pleased that we walk everywhere and get public transport

fionamal
09-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I got rid of my people carrier last year cos it rarely got used as we walked everywhere. Cant say i miss it other than during the hols but then can get hubby to work from home and use our family car if i have something planned.

tulip0803
09-03-2009, 09:01 PM
It depends where you live. I have to have one as I live on a busy road with no footpaths (council estimate 10 years to put one in:( ) risk assessment too dangerous to walk half a dozen kiddies along a road with lorries and cars doing in excess of the 40 mph speed limit.

Where I used to live we walked everywhere - I wish I was still able to:rolleyes:

estrelas
09-03-2009, 09:10 PM
ok you've all convinced me :) :)
i like the idea of walking and using public transport, i'm lucky where i live, everything close by big parks, shops, schools and chester city center is only5 mins by bus
was just having a wobble lol, thinking about going to the beach etc
we went to the beach on Sunday, was totally freezing but was nice kicking the ball about and walking, and i thought i would like to take the kids ( when i get some) but couldn't get there without a car. But i suppose there's a million other things we can do locally :) :)

vickie83
09-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Could you maybe get your hubbys car insured for minding just in the summer?
I don't drive but OH's car is insured (really just for emergencies but if there's ever a time he's off and I have less than 3 kiddies I'll be taking full advantage;) ) ofsted inspector said as long as I have parental permission they were fine with this:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I think there is a lot of variables here. I use my car when the weather is horrid or I need it for speed.

In the holidays we go out and about and regularly take off for the day to the beach or longleat which are up to 2 hours driving.

School runs I use them because it is a nightmare taking 3 under 2's on the road first thing in the morning but in the afternoon we walk.

Just depends on what you do and where you go.

My 8 seater is always full and I regularly (holidays) ask other minders for transportation.

Bushpig
10-03-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't drive... but have a great bus service close by, plus a common, a park, toddlers group, drop in centre, chemist, fruit and veg shop, post office all within 10 minutes walk.

As already said - depends where you live :)

mushpea
10-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I do have a car but prefer to walk everywhere cause its easier than getting 3 under 5's in and out of the car! also i only have an estate so b4 and after school and holidays we couldnt all fit in the car, did consider a 7 seater but then we would only fill it in the holidays and somtimes my parents have my two for the odd week and we and the parents have holidays so for the few weeks a year i would use it it just wasnt worth the expense, plus what happens if i then get antother child and have too many for the car anyway:eek:
we do things like go to the libary, park, go blackberry picking, over the woods for a bug hunt, etc in the hols and in the week its toddlergroups and parks and libary all of which are within a mile of home so within walking distance with buggy and buggy board, most of mine at the mo are used to walking but when i have a child who don't walk anywhere i just gradually build up how far they can walk, never had a parent mone that i don't have a car so don't see a problem with it myself.

HomefromHome
10-03-2009, 08:30 AM
i have a car and use it once a week at the mo!!!
i walk everywhere, with a double if needed - weather doesnt stop us as thats what rain macs, waterproof bottoms and wellies and gloves and hats and scarfs were made for!!!!!!!
yes it is great for days out, but to be honest these are likely to be the summer hols arent they?? look into coaches going to places, hiring a car (check out their ins etc parental permission etc).
there are lots of options.
walking is promoting health plus you can play alol sort of look out games en route. as long as you use appropriate buggies/reins etc you'll be fine.
i have a side by side double with a buggyboard attached - do get some smiles when we're out n about!!!:D

haribo
10-03-2009, 08:31 AM
as others have said it depends where you live im lucky ive got everything close at hand and a bus service to get easily into the nearest big town. i dont drive yet but have just started to learn. cant imagine taking lots of kids in the car yet but will see how it goes :)

PixiePetal
10-03-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't drive. Get to most places on foot or by bus or train. CM friends sometimes give lift if we have arranged a day out, all insured, car seats etc and permission from parents. Usually one of my back up minders so kids know them and other children too.

Some places impossible, but locally the parking in town is murder so better off out of it!

Wellies and waterproofs in winter :thumbsup:

bubbly
10-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I have a driving licence but haven't driven for about 10 years. I haven't found it a huge problem but have missed out on a couple of things due to not having wheels. I wouldn't want to start driving again though without doing a refresher course. Apart from that I couldn't afford the course, a car or the running costs!

manjay
10-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I couldn't survive without my car:panic: We live in a small village and whilst there are lots of nature things to do there is nothing else. School runs are always walking as even though I have a 7 seater I don't have enough room. If you live close to Chester city centre I would say you wouldn't need one as there is plenty to do. Plus you will be able to meet us when we have our forum get togethers at Chester Zoo:thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
10-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Apart from a lovely big park/green we have to walk a long way to town/libary/shops/toddler groups/school we have a 7 seater and i will use that, as above it just depends on where you live x:thumbsup:

estrelas
10-03-2009, 05:20 PM
ooooooooooooo meets at chester zoo????? where do i find out about these??:laughing: :laughing:

Jules12Wed
10-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I couldn't manage without my car, most times after school drop off I have about half an hour at home for kids to eat breakfast then its off to toddler group. I wouldn't have time for anything if I had to walk to school and back etc.

nannymcflea
10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I sometimes don't use my 7 seater for weeks then I use it a few times a week. I give lifts to another cm if poss when we plan outings together.I prefer to walk if poss but the car gives me more scope for planning outings.
It didn't cost any more to add business class to my insurance.

mushpea
10-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Well looks like i am officialy car'less now, me and OH had a car each but his failed its MOT big time today, car worth £200 gonna cost well in to a £1000 to fix!!!:eek: this means that he wil use my car for work and (hes a builder and has to go where the work is) and I will be walking every where. we walk most places now with the youger ones just have to get the older ones walking in the hols!!

Allie
10-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I would love to be able to go car free but living in the sticks I have to have one even the local school is to far and to dangerous to walk to with no pavements and country lanes

Allie

claireLouise
10-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I think there is a lot of variables here. I use my car when the weather is horrid or I need it for speed.

In the holidays we go out and about and regularly take off for the day to the beach or longleat which are up to 2 hours driving.

School runs I use them because it is a nightmare taking 3 under 2's on the road first thing in the morning but in the afternoon we walk.

Just depends on what you do and where you go.

My 8 seater is always full and I regularly (holidays) ask other minders for transportation.

I need an 8 seater what do you drive and is there any boot space for double buggy?

Claire

LisaH
10-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I use the car quite a lot too these days, never used to tho. I pick some of my mindees up from parents at school and they always turn up minus coats/buggies or with loads of bags that I would have to carry home!!! As well as having to carry the kids!! lol:)

Have to say I would not use the car if I didn't have too. I much prefer to walk.

beerheaven
10-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Even though I live in a small rural town, I can walk to all the everyday things - school, library, shops, groups.
I probably only use the car once a fortnight during term time but twice a week during school hols.