PDA

View Full Version : cooking lunch or putting down for nap

Bex1
09-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Ok so this may sound like a stupid question but I am a bit worried.

I know that we are not supposed to leave any children unattended but when I need to put one down for a nap upstairs what do I do about the other one who is not napping.

I know that my daughter is fine to be left for a few seconds but I will have two 18 month olds and they nap at different times so what would I do, take them all with me to put one down or can I leave them whilst I go?

The same for when I am getting lunch? Do I take them with me to the kitchen? One mum in particular has mentioned she does not like her child in the kitchen at home and I guess I can put a stairgat across door but they would not be able to see me and I know my daughter gets annoyed if she cant see her mummy :(
Make sense?

Spangles
09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Can you use a play pen or high chair or buggy?

Bex1
09-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I only have a travel cot so would be using that for the sleeper! I guess I could stick the other in the high chair whilst I went upstairs. My little girl is 19 months and is fine to be left whilst I run upstairs or nip to the loo so I guess I can put the other in the high chair and then get her out when I come back!

rickysmiths
09-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I must confess I would not go upstairs and leave a child in a high chair! If there is no other choice I would rater put them in the buggy for a few minuites.

If mine don't sleep at the same time I would take them both with me when I put one to bed. I have a stair gate at the top and bottom of the stairs.

venus89
09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
I asked Mrs Ofsted and she said if they're safe you can leave them. I tend to make sure they're busy - I don't use high chairs for any of mine except the baby and I think they're be mighty peeved if I kept bunging them in high chairs whilst i popped upstairs....

Rubybubbles
09-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I asked Mrs Ofsted and she said if they're safe you can leave them. I tend to make sure they're busy - I don't use high chairs for any of mine except the baby and I think they're be mighty peeved if I kept bunging them in high chairs whilst i popped upstairs....

same here;)

vix84
09-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I read somewhere that children must be in our sight or hearing at all times. I can hear from every room in the house.
I am going to be minding 1 year olds soon, and when they start I will probably take them upstairs with me, only because my son who is 8 and a half months tends to have a quick cuddle to sleep and then put in cot or he is a nightmare and doesnt cry himself to sleep - just cries and cries and cries!
So it is safer for me to take them upstairs.

If he wont go to sleep because the mindees are watching then I will get Max to sleep downstairs in a travel cot.

Id be happy to leave them playing in the lounge if it was just a case of running Max ip, drawing the curtains and putting him down in the cot as I would be gone for a maximum of a minute. Our house is as child proofed as possible and they would only be playing with safe toys. Yes they could trip and go bump - but I think they'd do that even if I were in the lounge - and I can also hear them from upstairs.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I consider my house to be safe - well as safe as it can be.

My kitchen is downstairs (5 steps) and all children are able to get up and down. We are all on 3 levels and playing in different spaces and it is impossible to keep an eye on all of them.

Our bedtime routine is lunch, change of nappy and bed and all 4 go at the same time.

Ofsted have witnessed the way my house runs for the last 5 visits and are happy with this.