PDA

View Full Version : incubation period for scarlet fever?

huggableshelly
09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know the incubation period for scarlet fever?

school told me children are not allowed in for a minumim of 5 days, my old nhs book says 8 days. How long do I tell the parent to keep their child away from my setting?

LittleMissSparkles
09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I had to close last year for a week due to scarlett fever, advised from our local kidslincs to stop it spreading as 2 siblings had it, one of them was in hospital for a few days too wasnt well at all. I was told that siblings must have antibiotics even if there is no sign of them carrying it and all mindees must be protected so that why i was told to close down, it is or I was told was a notifiable disease to ofsted too xxx HTH

nell57
09-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I think this is the latest guide lines on here

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

huggableshelly
09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
ty i knew i needed to contact ofsted, the child was with me on friday with no signs of any illness. He didnt arrive at mine this morning, Dad took him to school. Parents have not called me to tell me they have collected him but when I went in to pick up an 11:30 the school informed me that the other child had been sent home with s/f (school and myself work close where this child is concerned).

i'll give ofsted a call and see what they say, grr I cant afford to close but i dont want anymore kiddies to be ill either.

huggableshelly
09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I think this is the latest guide lines on here

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

thankyou thats more uptodate than what I've got xxx

huggableshelly
09-03-2009, 01:45 PM
right ok ...

I called ofsted, they told me to call the local authority get advice then call ofsted back.

locak authority passed me on to 3 different departments none of them able to offer any advice and one even said its not listed on their notifiable diseases list but she has gone away to cal John Lambert (ncma) to seek advice and will them come back to me.

why are things so difficult? trying to follow rules and procedures and all its done is caused a mangled mess with no advice gained but phone bill is growing nice huh.

Guess I'll just sit and wait now hoping they get back to me asap, I have a child who's sibbling is extrewmly ill in hosptial, i cant put him at risk but I do not want to cause panic either without knowing exactly where I stand.

The infected child was last in my care on friday, all I want to know is ... is there a chance he was infected then ... if so then i know to inform parents, if not then at this moment in time there is nothing for me to do.

Time to update my medical policy too.

huggableshelly
09-03-2009, 02:01 PM
ok I'm done with phone calls just incase anyone else pops in to read.

noone knows the exact period that the child maybe infected before the visible symptoms show. i have been advised to wait for the child to get a full diagnosis from his doc (which i knew but was trying to get things in place as a just in case this is what he has as the school seem pretty sure) then to call ofsted again.

If anyone in my imediate family are infected then i need to close for the 5 day incubation period whilst antibiotics do their job.

nell57
09-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Oh hun what a nightmare. Hope you hear off the family of the Lo soon, so you know where you stand. Fingers crossed its not what you think and you dont have to close:eek:

tigger
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
We had a letter from our local HPA last week as we have had several cases reported at my lo's school. From the letter it states that the incubation period is usually 12 hours to 5 days, but sometimes longer. The letter says it is infectious to close contacts of the patient but it can rarely be contracted by indirect contact. The child can return to a setting 5 days after commencing antibiotics. I hope this helps you out.:)

rickysmiths
09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I have just found the web site with the list of notifiable diseases. in case I haven't managed to cut and past all I did was Google Notifiable Diseases UK

www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000306/ - 45k -

Wow! I think I did it!!!!!:jump for joy: :jump for joy:

Scarlet Fever is a Notifiable Disease if you go into the link and click on Scarlet Fever it will lead you to the incubation period and other info.

I would have thought that now the child is in the care of the hospital and left you on Friday, that as long as you have notified Ofsted, there isn't much else you can do. The childs G.P. and the hospital will notify the environmental health dept.

nell57
09-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Have you heard anymore off the mum if LO has scarlet fever?

huggableshelly
09-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Mum failed to contact me to inform me the child was at home, the school informed me but under the circumstances I couldnt call her until after school run.

anway I called from the playground asking her where her child was as I turned up to collect him only to be told he had been sent home. (I have to do school run anyway regardless of any child being ill). Mum then told me he was sent home with suspected scarlet fever, she will book a dr appointment sometime on tues but he will be coming to me as normal and staying with me all day tomorrow

I said no, you must get him an appointment right away, call me when you know what is wrong with him and he cant come back until he has taken 5 days worth of antibiotics ...... well she went off on one, unfortunatly my mobile lost its signal and ended the call.

so will wait now to see what happens tomorrow but I will not accept him into my care until he has been seen by a dr.

sarah707
09-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Good for you! You need to be strong on this one xx

nell57
09-03-2009, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=huggableshelly;359864]Mum failed to contact me to inform me the child was at home, the school informed me but under the circumstances I couldnt call her until after school run.

anway I called from the playground asking her where her child was as I turned up to collect him only to be told he had been sent home. (I have to do school run anyway regardless of any child being ill). Mum then told me he was sent home with suspected scarlet fever, she will book a dr appointment sometime on tues but he will be coming to me as normal and staying with me all day tomorrow

I said no, you must get him an appointment right away, call me when you know what is wrong with him and he cant come back until he has taken 5 days worth of antibiotics ...... well she went off on one, unfortunatly my mobile lost its signal and ended the call.

:eek: Cant believe she not already made appointment, let alone not informed you he not at school. It never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate some parents can be.

Well done for sticking to your guns:clapping:

rickysmiths
09-03-2009, 06:57 PM
right ok ...

I called ofsted, they told me to call the local authority get advice then call ofsted back.

locak authority passed me on to 3 different departments none of them able to offer any advice and one even said its not listed on their notifiable diseases list but she has gone away to cal John Lambert (ncma) to seek advice and will them come back to me.

why are things so difficult? trying to follow rules and procedures and all its done is caused a mangled mess with no advice gained but phone bill is growing nice huh.

Guess I'll just sit and wait now hoping they get back to me asap, I have a child who's sibbling is extrewmly ill in hosptial, i cant put him at risk but I do not want to cause panic either without knowing exactly where I stand.

The infected child was last in my care on friday, all I want to know is ... is there a chance he was infected then ... if so then i know to inform parents, if not then at this moment in time there is nothing for me to do.

Time to update my medical policy too.

Have Ncma got back to you to help?

huggableshelly
09-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Yes NCMa called back, they advised that I inform all parents that there is a suspected case of scarlet fever within the school then advise further if the child is diagnosed stating that their child has been in contact with a child who has been diagnosed within my setting.

Mum has called me, she decided to go to the drs who have said he has a viral infection and not contagious so can attend school tomorrow. I'll see for myself in the morning and will send him to school on parents request unless I feel he isnt fit enough then I will sent him home with her again.

i just feel sorry for the child.