PDA

View Full Version : ofsted inspections

watgem
08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
I went on a childminding conference yesterday and at lunch chatted to some lovely childminders. All of them who have been recently inspected felt that the inspectors concentrated mainly on the paperwork, they weren't interested in seeing all the rooms, resources or gardens! One lady who had previously got outstanding was marked down because she didn't have permission to apply nappy cream, she had everything else and the inspector was really pleased with all her paperwork but said not having this paperwork let her down. All of the childminders recently inspected in our area felt that Ofsted weren't particularly interested in the children, just the paperwork. Also not mentioning in your complaints procedure that you would respond in writing to complaints within 28 days would mark you down. The sef was also mentioned as being very important-although not compulsory at the moment it was felt it would become so eventually and those who had completed it tended to have a shorter inspection. So am going to go through my paperwork again next weekend to double check.

christine e
08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi

It is sad that Ofsted only seem to be interested in the paperwork and that missing the slightest little thing out marks people down but like you say check check and check again that you have covered everything

Cx

sarah707
08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you for the feedback Gem!

Was the course good?

Chimps Childminding
08-03-2009, 09:28 PM
A childminder I know said pretty much the same - more interested in the paperwork than anything else! :angry:

Chanelle
08-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for sharing Watgem!! :)
Interesting that Ofsted are really not interested in the children but are in the paperwork ... shame ... because our priority is the children !

I think they have to re look at theirs!:mad:

nannymcflea
09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I think it is a shame that the paperwork has put a downer on a lot of peoples views of childminding.
I also think that the paperwork, long term ,is a fantastic idea. OK so not fantastic when you have to find the time to do it between working and you own family life but fantastic for the kids you look after. I read my daughter's own Record of Achievement from her playgroup and I have to say it's not a patch on what I now do for my kids...ok so I do 3 records and playgroup have 6 kids each but i have to say i love doing them:o

As for making sure you have everything signed before OFSTED arrive,lay everything out and write down what you need,type it up and pin parents to the wall until they have signed!:)

I also think that as childminders are sooooo much better now, OFSTED are pulling them up on paperwork as they can't fault their practice with the children.