PDA

View Full Version : WHAT WOULD YOU DO??????

JOANNE
07-03-2009, 10:15 PM
i have my inspection monday as you know.
My question is, when OFsted come, i have a 4yr old, 18month & 13 month, when i put the 2 babies to bed, should i leave the 4yr old downstairs?

It is my usual practice, but OFsted have an uncanny knack of making you doubt yourself.

Plus if the 4yr old wants the loo, what should i do with the babies? (In ofsteds eyes that is?)

Aghhh, i`m getting stressed now:panic:

Mollymop
07-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Good luck with your inspection

When you take the babes to bed, I presume upstairs, sit the 4 year old at the bottoem of the stairs with a book, explain the the child what you are doing and that you will only be a few minutes. Keep chatting to the 4 year old as you go up the stairs and as you put the babies in their cot.

Maybe you could talk to the child as you go up...."I am going to take X and X to bed now, so come and sit here on the stairs and talk to me about the pictures you see in the book.......Wow, tell me more about the pictures....... Are you ok? I am now coming down, that is a lovely book! Well done for being so good and telling me a story.
Shall we read the book now? "

As for taking the 4 year old to the loo, could you take the babes with you, if not and your loo is upstairs put them somewhere safe like a highchair, strapped in securely with a toy, etc

JOANNE
07-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes, i was thinking of putting the travel cot in the lounge and putting the babies in there.
As for the 4 yr old, i would just worry that OFsted would frown upon him sitting on the stairs(maybe they wouldn`t, its just i`m getting paranoid now)

Mollymop
07-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Just at the bottom of the stairs? Or on the floor near the stairgate. I am sure it will be fine, but I have never been in the same situation as this, so i hope someone else who has can come along soon and give you some tips xx

Chatterbox Childcare
07-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Don't forget that the inspector is CRB checked and you will of checked her identity when she comes in. She will expect you to go about your day as you normally would.

My 4 year old would come upstairs with me and help put the babies to bed, holidng the covers etc so I would expect that to happen on the day.

If you don't normally sit the 4 year old on a stair then they probably won't stay there when you need them to.

JOANNE
08-03-2009, 09:26 AM
yes, you see my stair gate is not at the bottom of my stairs, its on the door leading into my lounge, so the stairs would be an issue for OFsted i feel.

Thanks for all your tips though, lets just hope its done and dusted and everythings ok.

ajs
08-03-2009, 09:40 AM
A PIECE OF ADVICE MIFFY GAVE ME THAT I FEEL IS VERY TRUE ( sorry not shouting caps lock on )

do not do anything in your inspection that is not what you would usually do hyou will trip yourself up.
the 4 yr old will not sit on the stairs just because you expect him to tomorroow, do what you usually do and talk to the child while you are doing it

desiderata
08-03-2009, 11:15 AM
My 2 year is toilet trained but needs a little help, the 12 month old was unsettled while the inspector was there and cried a lot so when the 2 year old went to toilet (which he seemed to do a lot in the 5 hours she was there) I took the little one with me. Usually she stays playing happily but I knew that would not happen so I just took her into the toilet with us. Inspector never mentioned anything about it to me. Dont know if shes written anything in the report. Sue x

JOANNE
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
She was there 5 hours!!!
Crikey, i thought mine 6 yrs ago was long at 4 and a half!!!

Thanks for all your comments, i will let you know how it goes x

sue
08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
l had my Ofsted inspection last Monday and just before l settles my 8 month old asked if she wanted to check where they sleep etc. and we all went upstaires together making a point of closing the stair gates!!! then as l laid little on down asked if she could leave the room and 4yrs old said sweet dreams to little one as l put the montor it worked out very well covered all areas in one go. l too got worked up about ofsted coming but in the end as long as your p/work is up to date to rest just falls into place l allowed the 4yr old to have free play and in the end they got to the table as started doing sticking and gluing as it was left out!!!!(half planned) as l knew inspecter would be sitting at table so l was able to anwser her questions and interact with 4 yr old. Just be yourself and you will be fine

hectors house
09-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Haven't got EYFS stat guidance in front of me at moment - but I'm sure it says children have to be within sight or hearing of you - so I would just do what ever you normally do - unless you normally leave older child downstairs for half an hour while you read 50 books to baby to get them to sleep - oh no I forgot that is what their parents do!

It only takes me a minute to get child upstairs, into travel cot, give them comfort objects - teddies or dummy, shut curtains, put on radio and baby monitor, say sleep tight and leave the room - I can hear older child downstairs - I would settle them with a puzzle or book - or put the TV on for a minute.

Ofsted would probably want to interegate them while you are out of the room anyway. - just be yourself.

Good luck - let us know what you did in the end and whether it was the right thing for Ofsted

JOANNE
09-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Thankyou for all your advice, but as i mentioned in my earlier post....the rotten **** cancelled on me at the last minute.

But yes when she re schedules, i will do what i do usually and to hell with it, i was all prepared and everything when i got the text.