PDA

View Full Version : No wonder so many of us give up!

Lady Haha
07-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I am in two minds about whether I am glad I found this forum or not! Obviously, I am really, but it's made me realise just how behind and out of touch I really am with the paperwork and legal side of it all. I have spent the whole of last week finding policies to print, making risk assessments, updating consent forms and I havent even scraped the surface.

Been reading up about EYFS alot and all the planning and stuff round each child and it just seems like soooo much work.

I have been plodding along for the past two years, every one happy as larry, me, because I love my job, the kids because they love coming here and the parents, because they know their kids are happy here. Since I started two years ago I have steadily become fuller and fuller, and not one of my mindees has left, so I must be doing something right. I get them here safely from school, I provide a vast array of different resources and toys, I feed them food they like(!), I help them with homework, I sit at the table making things with them, I take them out on day trips in school hols, and in between all that, I am generally just messing about with them like a big kid myself!

So, my point is, if it aint broke, why fix it?????

:(

Chatterbox Childcare
07-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I believe in what we are doing but I also believe that the EYFS is making us more professional and therefore accountable.

Once you have your paperwork in place you don't have to do it again, just evaluate and tweak as you go along.

As to the planning - you are already doing this and just need to put it on paper. It doesn't take long once set up and I believe that my children are benefiting from it as I am more organised.

Keep going - it will be worth it

Pipsqueak
07-03-2009, 09:52 PM
keep plodding away hun - there is a wealth of information, ideas and experience on here - you cannot be expected to absorb all of it in one go. It takes time. I have been on here for a while now and it amazes me still that there are things that I hadn't even given a second thought too, a new twist on a tried and tested activity, bit more to add to the paperwork. Its sifting through the things that you think you can apply to your practice. Don't try to do everything at once - it will be overwhelming.

But on the other hand - welcome to the owners of overworked and busted printers club:D

rickysmiths
07-03-2009, 09:55 PM
I've been doing what you have for 14yrs and I couldn't agree with you more. I have never had any difficulty in filling my vacancies. Now I am at a point whre i need a twin sister in May to accomodate all the sibblings! and I have a mum asking me when she can have number two!!!!!

I reckon I must be doing something right.:clapping:

Lady Haha
07-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks, I needed a little reassurance there! I think I've just been feeling so overwhelmed by it all this past week. I seriously felt like bursting into tears last night! I decided to imagine that Ofsted were visiting me next month and so trying to get myself all ready for it. I know deep down that I am doing pretty much everything I should be, just that I need to organise it to show that I'm working to the EYFS.

I just need to slow down and take it all on in bitesize chunks! The updated policies are done, the updated consent forms are done. Very basic stuff but it's a start!

And, yes, a member of the busted printer club sounds about right! I used a whole ink cartridge up yesterday printing those policies, my newsletters, etc so had to order another one today before can print off anything else.

Pipsqueak
07-03-2009, 10:11 PM
And, yes, a member of the busted printer club sounds about right! I used a whole ink cartridge up yesterday printing those policies, my newsletters, etc so had to order another one today before can print off anything else.

:laughing: :laughing: oh yes you are most certainly are a fully fledged member now:D

now that you have done all that hardwork, its SATURDAY night, forget about work for a bit, reward yourself and come and read some jokes, put your feet up in the lounge and see what mischief you can get up to lol:D :D (not too much mischief - thats my job... and Windy (aka Breezy), Monkey, Miffy........:D

sammy
07-03-2009, 10:31 PM
i know EXACTLY what you mean, i found this forum and some ways wish i never, i seem to have a headache and brain over load. I didnt know i needed so much stuff, i already have loads in place. But its good to get any questions you have answered by "the professionals".

If i hadnt of found this site i could of been in serious trouble as i was over my numbers and didnt realise i needed a variation (i didnt realise i had to count my son when he was at nursery, so even though i wasnt actually looking after him, he was still in my numbers of adult to child ratio)

But yes i am slowly plodding through, dont look at it as a whole, just pick one subject a night and focus on that, otherwise you will get in a muddle.

My major one is tax returns!!!! arrggghhh

janey81
07-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I know what you mean as well, I have been registered for nearly 6 years, everyone has always been happy and well looked after, I have 3 children of my own ages 6, 4 and 2 and finding it hard to spend lots of time on paperwork, I can't get my head around it all.

hubby is away next week so guess thats me in front of the computer every night!!

Jane

helenlc
08-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks, I needed a little reassurance there! I think I've just been feeling so overwhelmed by it all this past week. I seriously felt like bursting into tears last night! I decided to imagine that Ofsted were visiting me next month and so trying to get myself all ready for it. I know deep down that I am doing pretty much everything I should be, just that I need to organise it to show that I'm working to the EYFS.

I just need to slow down and take it all on in bitesize chunks! The updated policies are done, the updated consent forms are done. Very basic stuff but it's a start!

I am doing this too!!

I was only inspected last May but am in the process of having a conservatory built. I can imagine that when I ask them to come and check it over, they will ask to do another inspection, this time under EYFS. (Although I am also led to believe I can just send them photos and risk assess it and they wont need to come out)

It can look and seem over whelming but as someone else said, just pick a subject and focus on that til its done.

sarah707
08-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I agree with you all it's very double edged isn't it?

There's an element of wanting to be left alone to play... and then there's all the necessary legal stuff we have to do and it's nice to be more professional.

Like Debbie says though, once that's in place it's just a matter of tweaking every year to make sure it's up to date and it does become second nature after a while to write things down.

The big thing I advise people though is... if it's not working for you then change it!! Don't battle away with something your Development officer or anyone else has given you (even my stuff!) If you cannot make sense of it, go back and ask for some other ideas...

It has to be do-able month after month, so make it work for you xx

Ripeberry
08-03-2009, 11:41 AM
I was panicking a bit a few days ago and my developmental worker saw me and went through my policies and permissions and said i was doing really well and she also said that all the new childminders are being very business like.
But i was worried about being able to remember everything about EYFS and how on earth was i going to recall everything. Half the time i can't even recall the correct order of the themes and commitments :panic:
But she said that it was OK to have the EYFS open in front of you and just explain to the Ofsted inspectior what each section meant in your own words.
That i can do, its just that i need lots of prompting! So that has made me relax a little. Just hope i don't get a stick in the mud inspector who likes things to be recalled straight off the top of their head!

Spangles
08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Don't forget that you don't have to do everything that you read on here.

I wouldn't imagine that anyone on here has EVERYTHING discussed! As long as you have what's compulsory take your time with the rest and do things in your own style as well.

It doesn't have to be longwinded and complicated at all.

x

helenlc
08-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I agree.

As long as you are covering what needs to be done, then relax - find your own way and stick with it.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Don't forget that you don't have to do everything that you read on here.

I wouldn't imagine that anyone on here has EVERYTHING discussed! As long as you have what's compulsory take your time with the rest and do things in your own style as well.

It doesn't have to be longwinded and complicated at all.

x

not just compulsory - in the statutory framework you need to include was is a legal requirement

Spangles
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
But legal requirements are compulsory as in that they are legal requirements.