PDA

View Full Version : Inspection without minded children?

Ripeberry
07-03-2009, 07:00 PM
My developmental worker said that Ofsted are quite hot on inspecting new childminders in my area, even if they have no children and also within 3 months of being registered!
She said i could not use my own children but could "borrow" a child. All i can think of is a child from our pre-school, but would i be allowed to have my own child at home as well?
I've had one girl over for a few playdates and she knows me but she will be very confused if my own daughter was not there as well?
I know they may just come round to check my paperwork and check i know all the welfare and do the risk assesments but i would like to show what its like for kids in my home :)

sarah707
07-03-2009, 07:03 PM
It used to be fine to borrow a child... but it would be more difficult now.

Under Eyfs you need to show a progression of learning, through a memory book / learning journey, linking to the Eyfs using next steps, planning etc... that would be hard for a borrowed child!

I would ask Ofsted's advice before putting all the paperwork in place for a child for a few hours

Ripeberry
08-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Ah, well they'll just have to inspect me without a child then :(

Willowdancer
08-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I've been registered since December and had a call from Ofsted the other day saying they wanted to come and inspect me.

I explained that I only have one child who I only take to school, so my day is over and done with by 9am and they said they would probably defer my inspection in that case.

I am still waiting to hear back from them as to whether they will or won't be coming but am working my backside off getting everything in place just in case they do. Not sure what they'd be expecting to see though - can't really do a learning journey for a child who spends about 15 minutes in my house and the rest of his time in the car!!

Spangles
08-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Don't worry about it until it happens, by the time Ofsted contact you you may have a mindee or they may agree to wait.

No point worrying if you don't have to. It's a bit pointless them inspecting you with no children I would have thought.

x