PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessing an activity

sjb2701
07-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Can anyone give me any ideas on how to do a written risk assessment for a coloring activity. My NVQ asssessor is coming to see me do a risk assessment of my house and also wants me to do a written planned activity that i need to risk asses with my 18month old mindee . i am goin to make a mothers day card with him but dont know where to start with the written plans and risk assessing. the only thing i can think of is using non toxic crayons as he like to put them in his mouth and supervision to ensure he doesnt try to eat them.
does anyone have any templates of what they use please?
Sorry its so long!!!!
Sarah

Schnakes
07-03-2009, 02:55 PM
We have to risk assess colouring in now??? FFS.

Sx

christine e
07-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Would never do a risk assessment for a colouring activity but the things I do consider are not just using non toxic crayons but making sure they are age/developement appropriate in that the crayons I would give an 18month old would be either chubby wax crayons or chubby pencil crayons. I would take into consideration the table and seating arrangement in that I would not sit small child at my dining table he/she would be sat at a low level table on a chair giving support to child's back. Would closely monitor child during activity to ensure crayons not used to decorate my walls, not pushed up nose, in eyes or put into mouth. Other than this cannot think of anything more.

Cx

uf353432
07-03-2009, 04:54 PM
papercuts, eating the paper, glue on any envelopes if you were using them, attention span, glue if you plan to glue any embellishments, small bits of embellishments if applicable, if you sharpen pencils - pencil sharpner and shavings, sharp pencils in eyes, eating crayons/pencils, falling out of chair? counting pencils etc out at the start and count them in at the end to make sure you have them all accounted for and its not stashed in the pocket of a child. Blimey.....

Lady Haha
07-03-2009, 09:44 PM
We have to risk assess colouring in now??? FFS.

Sx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
07-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Just think about the precautions you take when setting the activity up. We all do risk assessments but don't think of them as that and don't write them down.

With colouring:

Are they at the right height for the table, is there anything on the table to hurt them, are the crayone suitable, do I need protective clothing?

All this you do anyway