PDA

View Full Version : Trial period..childminding

booboo
03-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Not sure where to put this question but here goes........... i had a lady come to see me about 4 weeks ago to look after her 3 year old, havent heard from her since never thought no more of it, yest received a letter from the college where she is attending with the hours and days i i'll be having her son, obviously crossed wires some where anyway im guessing she's gonna turn up on my doorstep tomorrow, does anyone do a trial period if so do i need to put it in my contract?? he does'nt speak any english and is quite a hand full but hey im up for a challenge hehe im wondering if i do a trial period it will cover me if its to much??

booboo:)

crazybones
03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Not sure where to put this question but here goes........... i had a lady come to see me about 4 weeks ago to look after her 3 year old, havent heard from her since never thought no more of it, yest received a letter from the college where she is attending with the hours and days i i'll be having her son, obviously crossed wires some where anyway im guessing she's gonna turn up on my doorstep tomorrow, does anyone do a trial period if so do i need to put it in my contract?? he does'nt speak any english and is quite a hand full but hey im up for a challenge hehe im wondering if i do a trial period it will cover me if its to much??

booboo:)

I have 4 week trial period written into my contract which can be terminated at any time with written notice by both parties.

Annie x :D

booboo
03-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I have 4 weeks notice in my contracts but didnt realise i could terminate the contract sooner cheers for that.:clapping:

booboo

crazybones
03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I have 4 weeks notice in my contracts but didnt realise i could terminate the contract sooner cheers for that.:clapping:

booboo

Just be careful because mine actually states it can be terminated at any time. Dont want it to bite you in the bum. I had an absolute horror, really nasty, sly 10 year old and was so glad I had written it that way so I was able to get out of it asap.

Annie x

booboo
03-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I think i will add it on as im really unsure about the child might end up being an angel!! its really hard when you take children on to know what they are really like, as when the lady came round she was only here for 10mins but her son was like TAZ :laughing:

booboo

tulip0803
03-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I used to put 4 weeks settling in period in all my contracts. Termination can be from either party which can be a pain if they suddenly change their minds but better than ending up with a child or family that you cannot get on with.

Julia

crazybones
03-02-2008, 06:00 PM
A lot are like that think its excitement. My 2 yr old mindee is the same still after 6 months for the first 10 mins then he is fine just has very short attention span for the rest of the day so hard to sit him down and produce something for mum. She is impressed if I get him to do a couple of marks on paper with crayon.

Annie x

manjay
03-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I do a 4 week settling in period where either me or the parents can terminate without notice. I know some on here only do 2 weeks.

amanda xx

booboo
03-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanx everyone for your help :clapping: ;)

booboo x :)

LittleMissSparkles
03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
I casnt believe that she never spoke to you about it or made contact with you again after her visit, what if you had now filled the place ???? I would make contact and ask her at what point you discussed start dates etc and say a contract needs putting in place before you can care for her son. I would be quite annoyed by the situation if it were me.

Everyone is different though thats just my opinion good luck and hope it all goes well.

xxx

Pipsqueak
03-02-2008, 06:58 PM
It certainly does sound like crossed wires doesn't it.

I would give her a call as soon as possible and tell her that contracts HAVE to be in place BEFORE the child starts with you (it could cause all sorts of problems if they aren't - legally). I would also point out that she should really have got back to you before telling the college that she was taking up your placement.

You can write in a xx week settling in period - and if for any reason either party is not satisfied then you can cancel with xx week(s) notice.

Strongly advise getting the contracts in place, signed and fully understood by both parties before placement. If she has to take a day of to do this then this is not your problem - she should have contacted you to accept placement. Start as you mean to go on as it sounds like this mum doesn't understand "the rules".

deeb66
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
I think Vik has given you some sound advice.

I put in my contracts that either side can terminate without notice in the first 4 weeks. After 4 weeks this can be reviewed and extended if either side has doubts.

Once both parties are happy and the trial period is over either side has to give 4 weeks notice to terminate.