PDA

View Full Version : anyone take a nap

aly
06-03-2009, 10:53 PM
when mindees nap?

I am not well...have man flu :panic::panic: and [nomindees with me today] so when my dd was napping earlier i napped with her.

so just wondered do you nap when yours nap?

Jules27
06-03-2009, 11:02 PM
No chance as my mindees and son rarely nap at the same time!! Usually two are asleep and one still awake!!!! When its just my own kids then yes if they sleep then I will curl up on the sofa!!!:)

Twinkles
06-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm sure they'd have a radar of some sort so that as soon as i fell asleep they'd climb out of cots , off sofa's etc and cause a riot :rolleyes:

I must admit I fight to stay awake some lunchtimes when they're all asleep , but i wouldn't dare sleep.

OrlandoBelle
06-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't dare. I suffer from chronic fatigue and it is often a fight to stay awake if I sit down so I keep myself busy. I usually try to do some housework when they sleep (but usually end up on here instead!!).

What would happen if they woke up while you were asleep and hurt themselves?

Chatterbox Childcare
06-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Was that a trick question???????????

I do paperwork, paperwork, washing, tea, paperwork, washing oh and did I mention paperwork!!!!!!!

Blaze
07-03-2009, 12:16 AM
I wish I could have done, but tbh I wouldn't dare & besides always too much to be done,..don't think OFSTED would be impressed either!

donnadoo2004200
07-03-2009, 07:36 AM
No nap here. I check on the sleepers every 15 min so havent got time to nap.

miffy
07-03-2009, 08:47 AM
There have been times when I've been ill that I've had a lie down on the settee when the children have been asleep but I wouldn't dare fall asleep myself.

Hope you're soon feeling better

Miffy xx

misst104
07-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Oh Dear, I hate it when you are so tired that you feel like falling asleep during the day (although I have to say sometimes I feel like that when I'm not ill :laughing: ). Hope you are feeling a lot better today aly x

Pipsqueak
07-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Was that a trick question???????????

I do paperwork, paperwork, washing, tea, paperwork, washing oh and did I mention paperwork!!!!!!!

Debbie I do reckon you should think about doing some paperwork if you get a few spare minutes:D ;)

helenlc
07-03-2009, 09:02 AM
My current mindee doesnt sleep, so no chance of me getting a nap in.

When my daughter was born, my son was 2 1/2 and still napped occassionally. When Huby would come in from work and I would moan that I was tired, he would say "Why can't you nap when the two little ones sleep" I used to say that I couldnt co-ordinate a 2 yr old and newborn to sleep at the same time. And besides which, I would be lying there thinking of everything else I could be getting done instead of sleeping.

marion123
07-03-2009, 09:34 AM
mine go to sleep at different times so i cant and 1 doesnt sleep

Chimps Childminding
07-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Not often mine go to sleep at the same time, but sometimes if I only have one and they are asleep I decide to get a bit of paperwork done, but of course once you turn on the computer, you think I will just have a QUICK!!!! look on the forum, and before you know it lo is awake again and you have got nothing done!!!:laughing:

Rubybubbles
07-03-2009, 02:03 PM
hope your feeling better

I never would nap whilst working:panic: , I get bits and bobs done that need doing, paperwork, washing dishes, planned activies for afterschool run ect ect

BUT if only my own children I always used to go for a nap when they did lol But they now are 4 & 6 and at school heehee

Schnakes
07-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Last May I was really ill one day. I should have phoned in sick really but couldnt afford the day off. :blush: I only had one mindee that day so when she slept (Strapped in the buggy so no chance of clambering out of anything) I went to bed.

I look after the same little girl on a Saturday morning. One day she arrived asleep so I went back to bed.

I did feel totally guilty both times...but as she is alive and well and sitting here with me now, I think I can live with it. :rolleyes:

don't think OFSTED would be impressed either

True dat...still - what Ofsted doesnt know wont hurt them! :thumbsup:

PS - Nobody better dob me into Ofsted now, lol!!!

Sx

Pudding Girl
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
I've done it accidentally! Mindees woke up and I kind of jolted and assuming I had dozed off :blush: not ideal but obviously needed it for some reason.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Debbie I do reckon you should think about doing some paperwork if you get a few spare minutes:D ;)

lol..............

aly
07-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah I dont think I would tbh it's just yesterday I felt so rotten..good job I didnt have a mindee here.

Felt worse towards the end of day yesterday so this morning I told othe half I was not budging out of bed and stayed til 11 :eek::eek::laughing:

Feel better today just nasally though.

thanks for the laughs from you lot :thumbsup:

Lady Haha
08-03-2009, 01:43 AM
I dozed off yesterday for a few minutes while the kids were having tea! I didn't mean to! I was sitting upright on the sofa! But all the paperwork and stuff I've done this week really took it out of me! So, there you go, Ofsted, how long before something terrible happens while we are busy doing paperwork (or accidentally dozing off because of sheer exhaustion)!

vickie83
08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
How do you check on a sleeping child if you're asleep? Don't think OFSTED or the mindee's parents would be too happy TBH

Spangles
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
No, I wouldn't nap when I had mindees here. How can I be sure that they are safe if I was asleep? They have to be in sight or hearing and they would be in neither.

At the moment I find it so hard to stay awake come about 3pm but I have to force myself unfortunately! I'd love that nap!

helenlc
08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I worked in Spain about 13 yrs ago and everyone took a siesta - everything shut down. So I got in the habit of it too.

About a month before I came home, I stopped myself having my siesta as I knew when I came home, I wouldnt get a job that allowed me my midday sleep!! My body really missed it where it had got used to it!!!

But no, I dont nap now - mindee doesnt nap although he does wear me out!! He often flakes out in the car later in the day though - and then I definitely can't sleep!!!:eek:

Schnakes
08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
How can I be sure that they are safe if I was asleep?

How can you be sure your son is safe when you are alseep?

Okay, to be honest, I would tell neither Ofsted or the parents that I was akip when I had a child with me, but you know, its not something I do regularly, I know this child well, Ive had her since she was 6 months, shes nearly three now. I know her sleep paterns, the cot is in my bedroom. I follow strict safety guidleines with sleeping babies etc. Its not like I left a child on the floor in front of a fire or something.

Yeah, I feel guilty cos the parent isnt paying me to sleep, but on a safety front - no. Not on those occasions that I mentioned. Other children, perhaps, but those occasions, no.

Interestingly, I would be in the no-weekly-shop camp! Go figure.

Sx

Hebs
08-03-2009, 10:15 PM
ooooh

does this mean i can't sleep when i'm providing overnight care???

:panic:

chels55
08-03-2009, 10:25 PM
ooooh

:panic:

NO you must stay awake all night lol:laughing:

Spangles
09-03-2009, 09:10 AM
It's like if I babysit though I won't go to sleep however tired I am because those parents aren't paying me to go round their home and sleep.

It doesn't make much sense because I know we aren't awake 24 hours a day but that's the way I feel. I would be gutted if I dropped off and a parent found me asleep!

If I was at home just with my little boy and he napped and I was tired I would happily drop off but it's the fact that it's my job and I'm being paid for me.

x

LaUrA K
09-03-2009, 09:43 AM
you have to think how u wud feel if you took your child to a childminders/nursery and the staff fell asleep. i no i wudn't be impressed. You wake up instantly to your own child but wud you some1 elses?

son77
09-03-2009, 09:50 AM
My mindee sleeps for 2-3 hours so when my DD at nursery its great as I can get loads done.

If I wasn't feeling to great then yes I would nap, Im sure you'd only sleep lightly and would hear if they woke up.

Bushpig
09-03-2009, 09:53 AM
My mindees do not all sleep... but even if they did, I would never sleep during contracted hours. I would not be happy if my childminder did that were I the parent tbh. Plus the quiet time of less kids being around during sleepy-time is great for doing daily diaries, washing up, clearing away etc.

LOOPYLISA
09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
My mindees do not all sleep... but even if they did, I would never sleep during contracted hours. I would not be happy if my childminder did that were I the parent tbh. Plus the quiet time of less kids being around during sleepy-time is great for doing daily diaries, washing up, clearing away etc.

I agreee you can catch up :thumbsup:

Twinkles
09-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I agreee you can catch up :thumbsup:

Yeah ! on here :laughing:

Jules12Wed
09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
I have been minding for over 5 years now only on one occasion just after little one started just 6 months olds I had no other children and I was sitting on sofa cuddling her and she was asleep I couldn't move or else I might wake her, I didn't have to go to the school and suddenly there was a ding on the doorbell and it was the little girls Mum I did tell her that we had both been asleep, she was absolutely fine about it.

It was not deliberate but sitting for so long cuddling a little baby just sent me off!!!! SORRY for to all those who disapprove.

vix84
09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Before when I was pregnant, I was minding 2 lo's around 20mths - I hadnt been minding long and was a Nanny before - so when I was exhausted and both lo's were asleep in the cots, I went and led down on the bed. I couldnt actually sleep as I was constantly listening for them to wake, but I just led there with my eyes closed in a dark room for some quiet time on one or 2 occasions.

It isn't untill now that I look back and think that no - if you are being paid to look after a child then you shouldnt be sleeping - more so because of the Ofsted regulations etc. If I was babysitting a friends lo at their house - or mine then it would be different.

As said before - we are supposed to check on sleeping little ones - I go every 15 mins.

What would happen if :
for example a child has had some raisins for lunch - you put them to bed and go off for a sleep yourself. And then that child wakes and finds a raisin in their dungaree pocket, and goes to eat it and does one of those horrible silent chokes! And you dont hear as you are napping and you aren't checking them regularly. And the worst case scenario happens?
I know that sounds like an uncommon scenario and you could argue that you would hear etc. etc. but it is just not worth the risk in my opinion.

If I were paying a Childminder/Nursery then I would expect them to be awake - except for overnights of course. Its different if it were my mum or someone - I think it is because we are being paid for a service - and sleeping makes it look unprofessional.

Like I said though - I have done it on 1 occassion, but now that I do all the risk assesments and look at what is required - Im pretty sure Ofsted would not be impressed.

Did anyone see that undercover Nursery documentary. A staff member was led on the beanbags in the middle of the sleeping toddlers, and was asleep too. There was massive uproar about how he/she shouldnt have been sleeping and think they got the sack etc.

Schnakes
09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, yeah, all holier than thou and that.

Good to know how much more PAPERWORK I could be doing when I had been napping. :rolleyes:

I dont nap regularly, I did it twice with a child I know very well. The only person I feel bad about is the mum cos she wasnt paying me to sleep, but tbh, she would get a much better service from me well rested than she would tired and fed up.

Exactly Hebs.

One final word - nurseries dont expect their staff to leave their home at 5:50am to collect a child then work through till 7pm at night, not to mention the paperwork and tidying afterwards. This is what I do six days a week, to earn a living. Damn right Im tired, and damn right, when Im under the weather I'll take a kip.

S.

hectors house
10-03-2009, 11:34 AM
a couple of times when I haven't felt well the parents have said to me, why don't you have a nap when the children are asleep - I do most days manage to get 3 children all asleep in the afternoon - one in a single bed in a room with stair gate, one in a travel cot in another bedroom, and one in a travel cot in my room.

So I have a couple of times crept into my bed with a baby monitor for the other rooms and just shut my eyes and rested, just for half an hour or so - I rarely sleep during the day - only on the sofa at night halfway through a film!
I am probably closer to the baby alarm than if I was moving from room to room tidying up downstairs.

Parents are fine - don't think I'll try it when Ofsted come though!

jeanybeany
10-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I would not dream of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine never sleep at the same time and on the odd occassion when it does happen I treat it as catch up time to do paperwork etc or to sit and have a cuppa which I actually drink lol.

I don't think ofsted would be happy or the childs parents. I wouldn't like it if it was my childs childminder if you see what I mean.

Each to their own though!!!!!!!!!!!

Tups
11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Last May I was really ill one day. I should have phoned in sick really but couldnt afford the day off. :blush: I only had one mindee that day so when she slept (Strapped in the buggy so no chance of clambering out of anything) I went to bed.

I look after the same little girl on a Saturday morning. One day she arrived asleep so I went back to bed.

I did feel totally guilty both times...but as she is alive and well and sitting here with me now, I think I can live with it. :rolleyes:

don't think OFSTED would be impressed either

True dat...still - what Ofsted doesnt know wont hurt them! :thumbsup:

PS - Nobody better dob me into Ofsted now, lol!!!

Sx i make myself something to eat when my lot are asleep IF THEY SLEEP ? annmac:)