PDA

View Full Version : Two HOUR visit!!!

amirose
06-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Crikey,

2 hours on my precious Friday evening :( Is it just me or that a very long time for a first time meeting - before even arranging settling in sessions or talking about signing contracts?

Very repetitive on both sides I was getting asked the same questions and giving the same answers - I have a headache :(

Little girl, 3 nearly 4, wrecked my house and I can see she would be very hard work if I'm not tough with her. Shes her mums only baby and is rather spoilt!

Not sure if I want to do this one or not, mums ringing back in a few days after her daughter has had her induction day at the school and she knows the situation with her being settled in (they start them off part time)

Need to work out what I am going to do in the school holidays - she wants part time school holidays with a maximum of 6 hours care a day - her husband works shifts.

Neutral on this one, I don't get the feeling I did when I took on my other 3 mindees.

DudleyChildmind
06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
When I feel like that I usually go with my gut instinct. Good luck in whatever you decide to do :)

miffy
06-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Two hours seems a long time for a first meeting, especially on a Friday evening!

Don't know whether to wish you good luck or not - you don't sound sure whether you want the job.

Miffy xx

FizzysFriends
06-03-2009, 09:16 PM
How long do they usually take? I have my first ever meeting with parents Monday and I don't know what to expect, other mindees are from DD's school and it was all very casual mom just sent a text booking them in.

amirose
06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Two hours seems a long time for a first meeting, especially on a Friday evening!

Don't know whether to wish you good luck or not - you don't sound sure whether you want the job.

Miffy xx

Awww sorry Miffy,

Your right though I'm not sure - I really liked the other mindees and wanted the work but found the little one tonight a bit chaotic and her mum panders to her (something I can't abide) it really can make for a nightmare child.

This is why trial periods are invaluable! :clapping:

amirose
06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
How long do they usually take? I have my first ever meeting with parents Monday and I don't know what to expect, other mindees are from DD's school and it was all very casual mom just sent a text booking them in.

My other 2 were about an hour 1st one was a five year old and she did 2 visits one half hour and the second, with signing contracts, was just short of an hour. The second one was just over an hour with signing contracts (but was for 2)

Mollymop
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I hope that they all work out ok after your hectic Friday full of meetings.

Like you pointed out, you have a trial period, so if you feel unsure in a few weeks time, you know what to do:thumbsup:

miffy
06-03-2009, 09:39 PM

I try and keep them to about an hour - that's long enough for parents to have a look at my brochure, have a look around the house and garden and ask any questions they might have.

Good luck on Monday

Miffy xx

Chanelle
06-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Im sorry it didnt go so well ... lets hope if you take this little one on that she was just like that because she was excitable or maybe tired ???

Well good luck with whatever you decide :)

Doris
06-03-2009, 10:27 PM
You poor thing! I agree that trial periods are great - unfortunately I'm a bit of a wimp and would probably end up taking them on even if we didn't gel, unless they were absolutely horrendous! :blush:

How badly do you need the work? Would it be worth putting them off if you don't want to take it on and seeing if anything better turns up?

My visits are normally about an hour or just over, and that is usually with signing contracts etc, too.

amirose
07-03-2009, 07:33 AM
You poor thing! I agree that trial periods are great - unfortunately I'm a bit of a wimp and would probably end up taking them on even if we didn't gel, unless they were absolutely horrendous! :blush:

How badly do you need the work? Would it be worth putting them off if you don't want to take it on and seeing if anything better turns up?

My visits are normally about an hour or just over, and that is usually with signing contracts etc, too.

Well the little girl would be filling my "redundant" after school space on mondays and fridays - again only occasional because of the shifts but its a space I am not going to fill otherwise so the money is a bonus :thumbsup:

The fact she wants a school holiday contract is handy, my other three are term time only.

At the moment I need the work but I am hoping that the work will start slowly rolling in now september is approaching.

I wish I had a crystal ball sometimes so I could see into the future and find out if something is worth doing!

huggableshelly
07-03-2009, 07:45 AM
i do a one month trial with a short term contract when I'm unsure.

nell57
07-03-2009, 07:49 AM
2 hours is quite a long time especially for a Fri night, but it probably dragged for you if you didn't quite click with them.

I had an experience a few weeks ago, where I took on a brother & sister just holiday times only. The little boy was a nightmare on the times when he came with mum for a few settling in sessions and I was absolutely dreading half term. As it turned out he was angel and a bit of a sensitive soul who needed a cuddle now and again and he was happy.

Hope this one works out for you which ever way it goes:thumbsup:

amirose
07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
2 hours is quite a long time especially for a Fri night, but it probably dragged for you if you didn't quite click with them.

I had an experience a few weeks ago, where I took on a brother & sister just holiday times only. The little boy was a nightmare on the times when he came with mum for a few settling in sessions and I was absolutely dreading half term. As it turned out he was angel and a bit of a sensitive soul who needed a cuddle now and again and he was happy.

Hope this one works out for you which ever way it goes:thumbsup:

Thanks for that, I have got a feeling X is going to be like this too because the mum is the way she is I am almost certain she plays up around her, I wouldn't put up with it :laughing:

X goes to a childminder at the moment near mums work but because X is starting school the childminder isn't going to be able to continue so I think I'm going to ask for the number of the current childminder so I can have a chat and see how she is with her :thumbsup:

Bananabrain
07-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Awww sorry Miffy,

Your right though I'm not sure - I really liked the other mindees and wanted the work but found the little one tonight a bit chaotic and her mum panders to her (something I can't abide) it really can make for a nightmare child.

This is why trial periods are invaluable! :clapping:

I had a visit last easter,mum and 5 yr old girl.

My husband's first reaction was 'get that child out of my house':laughing:

She is now an absolute delight to have and I love her to bits.

Sometimes I think they just need a bit of training {that goes for the patents too}