PDA

View Full Version : Fire Evacuation plan

Helen79
06-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Sorry this is long & I know that I'll probably need to get the fire brigade to come & do a home visit but haven't written my fire evacuation plan yet & I'm stuck :panic:

We live in a 1st floor maisonette with a stair gate at the stop of the stairs but not one at the bottom of the stairs. My mindees & my own children are 4years, 17months & 14months. The 2 younger ones can't walk down the stairs but can crawl up but not safely by themselves.

Also the gate for the garden isn't secure so they can get out onto the road (we share the gate with neighbours who leave it open :angry: )

So in the case of a fire would I carry both babies at once down the stairs which is pretty risky while supervising a 4year old
or carry one 1st & go back for the other? If I left one upstairs obviously they will be at risk of the fire & when I leave the one downstairs to go back up they'll be crawling back up the stairs. I can't leave one outside the front door as then they'll be out onto the road :panic:

What would be the best thing to do?
Hope ofsted never read this forum my house sounds really dangerous! It is perfectly safe though :)

Minstrel
06-03-2009, 08:20 PM
i think i would probably try to carry them both out at once.

but consider leaving a pushchair by your front door and strapping the first one in it whilst you go back for the second.

maybe?

Annie_T
08-03-2009, 12:16 AM
they say never to return into a house if a fire or go back for anything

so i would say take both together tho it could be dangerous it is safer tbh

- risk falling maybe breaking or hurting somewhere or risk death from smoke inhalation or getting trapped by fire !!

sonia ann
08-03-2009, 08:40 AM
:idea: May sound silly I know but many moons ago when pregnant with my second s ,first s still needed carrying down the stairs----I used to sit and bump down with him on my lap----in an emergency you could sit both on your lap and "bump" (reduces the risk of falling and still pretty quick!)

FizzysFriends
08-03-2009, 09:06 AM
I don't have how I would get everyone out that specifically on my plan because I don't know who would be here if I needed to evacuate. I just have a pick of the downstairs and one of the upstairs with the route to the exits marked along with the windown exit (have one onto a flat roof).

Helen79
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks :) I'll plan to carry them both down at the same time.
I think the bumping down the stairs is a good idea with the 2 babies.