PDA

View Full Version : Medication help please

Schnakes
06-03-2009, 12:25 AM
One of my kids has iron supplements, as she is anaemic (sp?). I found out yesterday that the father (who does not live with the child or her mother) doesn’t know about this, and the mother asked me not to tell him about it.

I had been giving her the supplement as though it was a vitamin - I have no written evidence etc. Didn’t think I needed it, as it isn’t a medication. (Is it??)

Now I know the father doesn’t know (and obviously disapproves, or why else would the mum not want him to know???) - I’m thinking, oh ****** - I should have had it all written down etc. What should I do?

Sx

rickysmiths
06-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Yes Yes Yes I would definately record any 'pill' etc that I was asked to give. I would fill in the section in the book that the parent has to sign in the morning and evening thus making it as inconvienient as possible with a suplement I must confess I would not be happy giving this kind of thing anyway. I would ask for it to be given at home.

You dont say how old the child is but how does the mother know they need iron? The child at the very least shoud have had a blood test. This should be prescribed by a doctor for anyone younger than an adult. It is even dangerous for an adult to take too much iron. I happen to know this because my own dd needed iron at 12 (approx a year after she had started her periods) the dose she was told to take was controlled and she had to go back for another blood test after 6 months. she took her daily tablet at home I wouldn't have dreamt of sending it in to school to give her.

I'm not surprised the dad is unhappy I would be asking a lot of questions and I would want a supply in a marked box that had clearly been prescribed by the doctor.

angeldelight
06-03-2009, 07:36 AM
I agree yes yes

Say if the child was taken ill through having to much iron - they can be dangerous
I have had to take iron for a number of years and it needs to be checked regular

Is the mom just giving them to her child ?

Makes you wonder why she is not telling the dad anyway - what sort of secret is that to keep ?

Ricky is right find out more information and get something signed

Angel xx

huggableshelly
06-03-2009, 07:38 AM
I have nothing to add but didnt want to read and run hope you get this sorted asap always cover your back

Schnakes
06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
You dont say how old the child is but how does the mother know they need iron? The child at the very least shoud have had a blood test. This should be prescribed by a doctor for anyone younger than an adult.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

The child is two. The mum takes her to the doctors in Poland to have all these checks done. (She told me the dad disagrees with this as well!!) and the doctor there gave her the iron. (Its in liquid form). I honestly thought it was a supplement though.

I had no idea that too much iron can be dangerous. I need to do some research. Im now in total panic mode. :panic: :(

Sx

Chatterbox Childcare
06-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a minder in my group who has the same thing with vitamins with polish prescription and polish writing.

Ofsted's advice was to have the prescription translated by the parents for her records and everything was to be documented and signed off BEFORE any further medication was given.

If mum things the little one needs it she can always give it to them in the morning and evening.

Minstrel
06-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Most vitamins are a one a day (twice tops) jobbie so i wonder why mum is getting you to give it- think i would stop and just tell her to do it herself at breakfast/bedtime.

sorry debbie i've just repeated you! i didnt read properly before posting!

rickysmiths
07-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Why are Polish doctors prescribing iron to under 2s? I wouldn't accept anything that wasn't prescribed by their British G.P. personally.:panic: :panic:

Schnakes
07-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Why are Polish doctors prescribing iron to under 2

From the impression I get its cos the dad doesnt approve.

Most vitamins are a one a day

Yes - this is one dose of liquid a day, mixed in with a normal drink.

So...is iron a medication then? I took it when I was pregnant with my daughter and didnt know then that it was a medication either.

Sx