PDA

View Full Version : what sort of things do you do with 7-9 year olds?

suet
05-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Hell,

I know this might sound silly but i'm knew to childmnding and dont have any little ones yer but i might be asked to looke after 2 children 7 and 9 before and after school plus during the school holidays. The trouble is just what sort of things do you do with boys this age- what activities etc im really stressing here and havent had the call yet can anyone help?

Sue

singlewiththree
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Hell,

I know this might sound silly but i'm knew to childmnding and dont have any little ones yer but i might be asked to looke after 2 children 7 and 9 before and after school plus during the school holidays. The trouble is just what sort of things do you do with boys this age- what activities etc im really stressing here and havent had the call yet can anyone help?

Sue

I used to work in a holiday club with this age and the 7yr old boys loved baking providing it was something weird like spider buns etc. They tend to love computers, Playstation, Wii or DS, football and being outside. Anything gruseome and awful my nephew loves whos 8.

suet
05-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I used to work in a holiday club with this age and the 7yr old boys loved baking providing it was something weird like spider buns etc. They tend to love computers, Playstation, Wii or DS, football and being outside. Anything gruseome and awful my nephew loves whos 8.

Thanks for that. its been a long time since i looked after that age group. Im fine with young ones got loads of toys and ideas. Anyway thanks again for the help

Sue

aly
05-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that. its been a long time since i looked after that age group. Im fine with young ones got loads of toys and ideas. Anyway thanks again for the help

Sue
i wondered this too as my 2 before and after schoolers are 6 & 9 boys so good ideas there.

suet
05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
i wondered this too as my 2 before and after schoolers are 6 & 9 boys so good ideas there.

Hi ther,

Do you have your two during the schools holidays too? Does it affect the little ones if you have any? If you dont me askin how do you charge them?

Sue

huggableshelly
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
2 of my boys like sewing too.

one is in the middle of a cross stitch puppy which he picks up as and when he wants to with no presure to complete it.

Polka Dots
05-03-2009, 05:02 PM
My 8 year old nephew also likes lego and meccano.

mabel
05-03-2009, 06:12 PM
keep a craft box of art and crafts, colouring, glueing.
I seem to have only had girls so its barbie barbie barbie !

Dragonfly
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
During holidays things like kite flying,kicking a ball around.older ones still like gloop, modelling clay, paint blowing, cooking, marbles if there are no small ones about, board games,outings etc etc

aly
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi ther,

Do you have your two during the schools holidays too? Does it affect the little ones if you have any? If you dont me askin how do you charge them?

Sue
sorry forgot about this....
it shouldnt affect the little ones. Im not sure about hols though they are not set days as mum works shifts.

mushpea
07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
my 8yrold loves the playstation and his ds, playing outside, the park, cooking, reading, lego, knex, board games and winding his sister up!:rolleyes:
why dont you ask them to write a list of the things they enjoy doing, maybe ask them their likes and dislikes, favorite games toys etc.

suet
07-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all your great ideas. Mind you im still waiting for the phojne call so looks like it dont matter anyway. boo

Sue

kellywestie
08-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi, most of the children I look after are in this age group and I have them after school and school hols.

Mine like to bake, one likes to help prepare tea occasionally, arts and crafts, lego (very popular), board games, table football, table tennis, football, badminton, the climbing frame, growing things, making paper planes (you can get patterns to make different planes on the internet), watching tv (usually just before they go home), playstation, we have film afternoons with popcorn, outings - park, beach, muga pitch to play football, tennis etc, we go for walks along the river, local places of interest. In the hols they usually all turn up with DS/PSP's, dvd's and like to play/watch those.

The absolute favourite with all of them (girl and boys) both after school and in hols for quite a while now is Hama beads - you put the beads onto peg boards making patterns or pictures and then iron them to fuse them together - they have done flags, all their names, Spongebob and currently one of them is doing Mario characters, the list is endless and they all have something to take home at the end of it.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Have fun!