PDA

View Full Version : training/creche permission slips!!!!!

michellethegooner
04-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Hi a fellow childminder recently had an inspection and had recently taken up some training (eyfs workshop) and had taken her mindee kids with her with parents permission of course, but her inspecter told her that it was up to her to ensure all staff at the childrens centre were crb checked!!! so marked her satis in keeping children safe. she quieried this with someone else at Ofsted and was told that as the children centres were run by the local authority all staff WOULD HAVE to be crb checked as standard.

the childminder was told by the inspecter (who was present when call was made) that it is still the c/m responsability to ensure checks are made such as inspection reports requested etc, and that we need to have permission forms stating what we will do to ensure children are protected whilst in local authority crech's.
I was wondering if anyone else has come across this or if anyone has a policy/form they could let me see so I can draft one for my records.

getting a bit peed off with Ofsted seems they keep moving the goalposts and are just looking for things to pull us up on grrrrr.

michelle xx

sarah707
04-12-2007, 11:24 AM
I think if this is what Ofsted are saying then they need to provide a list of exactly what they expect from us so we can be sure we are asking the right questions....

I'd send them an email if I were you... please share the reply!

angeldelight
04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh that is stupid

We have enough to think about with out checking out everyone who we meet

Like you say they would have been checked anyway

I would do as Sarah suggested and email them

Let us know what happens

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
04-12-2007, 12:08 PM
I know when we attend workshops and sessions with the children at the CC's we are told who is CRB checked (which is everyone! but like our CC it is also a Community Centre and has other people walking in and out) and if we have to leave the room/children for whatever reason (ie/ take another child to the toilet) we do so at our own risk and it is advised that we ask another childminder or person that we know to watch the child.

Not to mention anyway - how the heck are we supposed to "vet" every single person we come across. It is common sense NOT to leave the children in your care (including your own) with people you don't know - even if they are Children Centre Staff. Blimey, I can just imagine our CC staff if I asked to see a copy of their CRB!!

nannan
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
It would be nice if Ofsted stopped moving the goal posts, I'm sure someone is sat in an office and thinking 'now what can we have the cm doing without telling them first' I hope you can get a satisfactory reply from them if you do send out an email, it is common sense that as cm we would only place our mindees in a safe centre to start with. good luck if you get back in touch with them

Blaze
05-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I was told on the policies & procedures course that I went on that Cm's shouldn't use creche's At ALL! Yet another case of singing from difrferent hymn sheets!
Tasha:)

sarah707
05-12-2007, 05:47 PM
The problem with creches is that Ofsted can't monitor them if they run for less than 2 hours a session... and Ofsted don't like that!! :laughing:

I was asked to help out at one and when I first arrived there were 2 totally un-CRB'd women taking toys out of big black bin liners and leaving the bin liners on the floor next to where the children were playing :eek: I refused to work there!!

I did another a short while ago with lovely people employed by Sure Start who really made an effort with the children and brought playdough and colourings and things... It's amazing how the level of provision can vary...

michellethegooner
06-12-2007, 10:07 PM
well I have emailed Ofsted and still waiting a reply, but like I say this is our local children centre that Ofsted and the government want us c/m's linked to. Apart from the fact it is based in a school and like I said it is our local child co-ordinater who arranges training and the creche facilities as most of us cannot attend training without our mindees.
But thanks for your reply it was exactly what I was thinking when the other c/m told me what had happened, have decided to boycott training until Ofsted let me know the 'rules' unless I can get parents to swap days but I am not willing to risk it.

will keep you up dated!!!!!

michelle x:confused:

michellethegooner
01-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Ah finally got a response after what seems like several hundred emails/telephone calls.

Apparently now it is ok as long as you get parents written permission stating the 'risks' e.g cc may be over their adult/child ratio..

Dunno even more confused now we're back to the start again lol and besides this cc shouldnt be over their adult/child ratios and if they are and Ofsted are aware of the risks shouldnt they be doing something.. dunno just a rational thought Ofsted please sing from the same sheet fgs...

michelle x:confused:

sarah707
01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Thank you for sharing the reply Michelle... nice to see Ofsted are as clear as ever on the issue :D

Perhaps on a permission slip to do anything like that we are best putting...

'while I will try and make sure everything is in order during the creche session I will not actually be there - due to the fact that it is a creche. As I am not there I cannot be held responsible for what might happen while your child is there. If you are at all concerned, please contact the organiser of the creche direct on xxxx for more information.'

do you think that covers all bases?

:D

wendywu
02-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I think we need a one permission form to cover all events. How about,

To prevent me getting severe writers cramp, and brain ache I ......... parent of............ do here by give my childminder.............permission to do exactly what she likes with the above said children at any time she deems suitable. 24 hours a day and 7 seven days a week up to the age of 21. What ever the consequences come hell or high water. So that I can just get on with doing my job and earning a living. :p

ChocolateChip
03-03-2008, 01:25 PM
As a newbie I think the whole training thing is ludicrous. I have done loads of courses to be ready to start up, but not one of them offered a creche. Groups in our area say they are trying to get more courses on Saturdays, but that doesn't help me much as I don't work but my other half does, so I still have my own 3 to sort out.
I know it's impossible for them to please everyone, but by the nature of being c/m's don't they think we have childcare needs!
Nikki :mad: