PDA

View Full Version : Rising fives

amirose
05-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Just a quick question about rising fives, if they a four year old or a 5 year old still in the early years age group but only attend the setting before and after school then they are considered an over five for the purpose of adult to child ratio or a rising five. My question is what happens in the school holidays? Are they a rising five or an under five.

I have a lady coming on Friday who originally wanted after school care but in the end I turned it down as she wanted no care for 4 weeks, then care for 4 random days 1 week, 4 random days another week and then 2 days the next then back to no care for 4 weeks - I said I would do it if she paid for a full time space after school and she declined. Anyway I then offered school holiday care and a school holiday only contract but I think I've messed up here.

Her daughter is 3, she will be 4 in august and will be starting full time school in September. So, if I have her in the school holidays I assume she counts as under five? If this is the case then I won't be able to do it as she will be using up one of my full time under five spaces in the school holidays :panic:

I hope you tell me I'm wrong because I really don't want to say no to mum again

huggableshelly
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I class children as under five until 31st aug following their 5th birthday, this falls inline with the EYFS age bracket.

hope that helps.

amirose
05-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Hiya,

The paragraph at the top is a quote from my EYFS Statutory framework

nell57
05-03-2009, 10:22 AM
If they are 4 and over and in FULL time nursery, they are classed in your over 5s age group and still classed as over 5s in holiday time as well.

Good luck when the lady comes:thumbsup:

huggableshelly
05-03-2009, 10:25 AM
yeah ... i still class them as under five though that way I know my numbers are covered during school hols too.

someone will come in to confirm one way or the other.

Mollymop
05-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Children in reception year at school who are not yet 5 are still classed as 5 in the school holidays. xx

nell57
05-03-2009, 10:38 AM
A bit more info here:)

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14416&highlight=rising+5s

amirose
05-03-2009, 10:49 AM
A bit more info here:)

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14416&highlight=rising+5s

amirose
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM
One more question, she only counts as an over five for adult to child ratios so in my register and when it comes to EYFS paperwork she counts as under five - right? :panic: :laughing:

Polka Dots
05-03-2009, 12:02 PM
That sounds about right. :laughing:

rickysmiths
05-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I class children as under five until 31st aug following their 5th birthday, this falls inline with the EYFS age bracket.

hope that helps.

They have changed this and any rising 5 who is at full time school is counted as an over 5 as far as you number ratio is concerned. For example if a child is 4 in Aug and starts in Reception in the September but won't be 5 until the following Aug they will count as an over five in your numbers. Term time and in the holidays.

The Eyfs guildlines on this were changed last year because there was such an outcry.

In answer to your question Amirose. You are right if the child is 4ys this Aug (2009) and does not start Reception until Sept 2009 you will not be able to have her in the 2009 summer holidays but you will in the October Half term and subsiquent school holidays.

huggableshelly
05-03-2009, 01:56 PM
ah ok now i know too that opens up 2 holiday places for me lol

ty for the info