PDA

View Full Version : age of mindees

marion123
05-03-2009, 09:37 AM
i went to nusery yester day to pick up mindee there all day till 3pm then he comes to mine till 5pm while there they asked if i have anymore room for another mindee child will be starting school full time in september goes nursery all day until 3pm mum wants me to have child till 5pm would the child be classed as under 5 or over 5s child will be 5 in september

huggableshelly
05-03-2009, 09:58 AM
you have to class him as under 5 until 31st aug following his 5th birthday

tinkerbelle
05-03-2009, 12:16 PM

i thought it was as soon as the attended 5 full days sesions at school they was classed as over 5's for numbers i.e started reception
when did they change it

melanieabigail2004
05-03-2009, 12:17 PM
As far as I am aware if they are full time in Reception they are classed as over 5.

Mel

tinkerbelle
05-03-2009, 12:21 PM
thats my thoughts i know the eyfs is until the 31st august after 5th birthday but they are claased over 5 from reception

rickysmiths
05-03-2009, 12:24 PM
As soon as they are at school full time they count as over five in the term time and holidays as well.

For example I have a child who was 4 in august 2008, statrted in reception in September but won't be 5 until August 2009 for my numbers he counted as over 5 from last Sept.

The wording in EYFS first publication was difference and it caused such a a stir especially for childminders that Childrens Schools and Families over ruled Ofsted last year.

green puppy
05-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Hello,
I have a mindee who was 4 in november, at my inspection I was told she can be classed as an over 5 because she attends pre-school 9-3 five days a week.
ali

TheBTeam
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Hello,
I have a mindee who was 4 in november, at my inspection I was told she can be classed as an over 5 because she attends pre-school 9-3 five days a week.
ali

Does this mean that they are an over 5 in holiday times as well or do they revert to being an under 5 when you have them when the pre school is closed, I have a child in the same situation that I have just stopped having apart from holidays he is 4 this month and goes to nursery/play group 9-3 currently but will be with me all day in the holidays.

Sarah Louise
05-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Once they are attending 10 sessions per week, ie Reception morning and afternoon can be classed as over 5 but still required to follow EYFS until the end of the year when they turned 5.

Pauline
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Once they are attending 10 sessions per week, ie Reception morning and afternoon can be classed as over 5 but still required to follow EYFS until the end of the year when they turned 5.

Sorry, don't want to sound picky but just want to make it clear for those who don't know, that it's actually up until the 31st August after they turn five :)

Chatterbox Childcare
05-03-2009, 11:09 PM

You have this wrong.

He is classed under the EYFS as under 5 until 31st August following his 5th birthday but he is classed as over 5 as soon as he starts 10 sessions per week at school

huggableshelly
06-03-2009, 08:01 AM
yep ty I've found that out now that I was worng and have now freed up to under 5 places xxx

Minstrel
06-03-2009, 02:00 PM
You have this wrong.

He is classed under the EYFS as under 5 until 31st August following his 5th birthday but he is classed as over 5 as soon as he starts 10 sessions per week at school

i'm having this debate with my inspector at the mo- my son is 5 (dec) and attending full time school. she says he is an under 5 till next sept and if i wanted an extra under 5 then i would have to apply for an exemtion (variation). I'm sure she's wrong but i dont know what to do about it.

green puppy
06-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Yes LynnB, she is classed as an over five in holidays aswell. Minstrel, I was told by ofsted at first that I had to apply for a variation for the four year old as she was only attending pre-school and told my inspector this. She said that nowhere in the requirements does it state that the 10 sessions are school only, and a full day at pre-school counts. So as long as your child is attending school 9-3 five days a week he should be classed as an over five. Can you ask your inspector to show you where it says otherwise?

ali

Minstrel
06-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info,

interesting what you said about pre-school and school because my son is in actual school now. He started as a rising 5 in september but as of January he became the age of statutory school age so it seemed odd that she asked my how many sessions he was attending. It would be against the law if he werent in school by now.

i'm so confused :(

up till she came i thought knew exactly what children i could have and now i dont!

green puppy
06-03-2009, 09:07 PM
It's just typical ofsted confusing everyone! I would ring them and say that now your son is in full time reception class could your certificate be changed to allow for the under five space that your son no longer counts in, although I guess he will move into your 5-8 space instead.

ali

Minstrel
06-03-2009, 09:14 PM
thanks x i dont have cert yet but hoping it will be correct when i do!

TheBTeam
16-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I think I am right then in understanding that my mindee who is 4 at the end of this month and attends preschool in the morning, then lunchclub, then afternoon nursery is classed as attending 10 sessions and so therefore counts as an over 5 in the holidays. does anyone have any info to confirm or contradict this? thanks

beckyteddy
16-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Four year olds can only be moved up to your "5-8 year old spaces", once they attend primary school for 5 full days per week. Once they have started school they will then be grouped within this age bracket during the school holidays as well as term-time.

Even if a child goes to pre-school/nursery for most of the day, until they start actual primary school they will count as a "0-5" year old as far as Ofsted numbers are concerned.

I have had my certificate ameded to this effect now that my 4 year old son has started in his Reception class at primary school. He attends 5 full days per week and although he wont be 5 until August he now counts as one of my "5-8 year olds" instead of a "0-5 year old", through the hols and the term.

Hope that helps x

green puppy
06-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Beckyteddy, my inspector told me not to apply for a variation for my four year old mindee because she attends pre-school 9-3 ( school hours ) five days a week. It doesn't need to be primary school only providing they are doing 10 full sessions a week. Thebteam, I would clarify with ofsted as to whether these sessions should only be in one setting or split between two.

TheBTeam
06-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Beckyteddy, my inspector told me not to apply for a variation for my four year old mindee because she attends pre-school 9-3 ( school hours ) five days a week. It doesn't need to be primary school only providing they are doing 10 full sessions a week. Thebteam, I would clarify with ofsted as to whether these sessions should only be in one setting or split between two.

There seems to be a completely differing opinion on this doesn't there, i am thinking that even if you phone ofsted the question will surprise them and depending who you get will depend on what they say! I have lost so many younger ones recently that my need to be bothered has all but disappeared, and he starts school proper in september, so the chances of myself and dh filling all of our gaps by then would take a miracle!!

sammy
06-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Four year olds can only be moved up to your "5-8 year old spaces", once they attend primary school for 5 full days per week. Once they have started school they will then be grouped within this age bracket during the school holidays as well as term-time.

Even if a child goes to pre-school/nursery for most of the day, until they start actual primary school they will count as a "0-5" year old as far as Ofsted numbers are concerned.

I have had my certificate ameded to this effect now that my 4 year old son has started in his Reception class at primary school. He attends 5 full days per week and although he wont be 5 until August he now counts as one of my "5-8 year olds" instead of a "0-5 year old", through the hols and the term.

Hope that helps x

yes this is my understanding, its definatley when they start school they are classed as 5 (not for the settling in period as they wouldnt have done 10 hours a week) our school has 3 or 4 weeks settling in period. Even if they turned 4 on the 31st August and started full time in the septemeber then they are classed as in your 5-8 category.

If its not then i am done for as ive just sorted all my numbers out for sept!

green puppy
06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Thats unfortunate to have lost mindees due to ofsted being so inconsistant! My inspector even pointed out in the EYFS framework that it states a child of four attending 10 sessions a week can be classed as over five for ratio purposes, ( doesn't say its just reception sessions so pre-school/nursery counts too ). Hopefully you will fill your spaces soon.:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
06-04-2009, 08:09 PM
i'm having this debate with my inspector at the mo- my son is 5 (dec) and attending full time school. she says he is an under 5 till next sept and if i wanted an extra under 5 then i would have to apply for an exemtion (variation). I'm sure she's wrong but i dont know what to do about it.

You are both right

You son is classed as 5 in ratio's but is still under the EYFS register so you will need a variation for numbers in your EYFS register and not ratio's

Minstrel
06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
You are both right

You son is classed as 5 in ratio's but is still under the EYFS register so you will need a variation for numbers in your EYFS register and not ratio's

Thanks Debbie. I'm hoping they will grant the variation then so i will be able to have an extra under 5 space.

xx