PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhhh Chicken Pox!!!

amirose
05-03-2009, 09:08 AM
My 9 year old mindee arrived this morning and I noticed a red spot on her hand which wasn't there yesterday. When I looked at it closely it was a small red open sore from where she had been scratching it. I asked her about it and she said I don't know but I have got these ones as well she showed me some more on the inside of her elbows about 3 or 4 on each arm. I immediately thought CHICKEN POX :panic: so I said Ok is that it and she said no and showed me a tiny spot on the inside of her wrist and then another red open sore on her leg. She said they are itchy and shes had them a couple of days and that she hadn't yet told her mum.
I thought it could be eczema but looked like chicken pox and R said she had never had chicken pox before. I rang my mum first (because I didn't want to look like an idiot ringing R's mum over nothing) and actually ended up speaking to my step-dad who said ring R's mum.
I rang R's mum at work and found that R had in fact had chicken pox before. I asked her mum whether she would like me to keep R off school so she could make her a doctors appointment and take her today she was very indecisive so I asked her if she would like to speak to her daughter (as her daughter is 9) her mum was obviously worried bless her because she asked R several times whether she was OK to which R said yes I'm fine! R passed the phone back to me and her mum said she wanted me to take R to school. I said that's fine but please make her a doctors appointment asap as these spots are itching her and though its rare children can get chicken pox again.
Anyway R is at school now but I just wondered whether I need any paperwork for this? Do I need the parent to sign to say they told me to take her to school? And if so what do I put!!! :panic:

marion123
05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
both my two children had chicken pox twice my ds got them at 3 then again at 7 dd got them when she was 7 off my son then got them again at 11 again of my ds i got the shingles from my children chicken pox i have also had chicken pox when i was a child

rickysmiths
05-03-2009, 09:34 AM
I would fill in the existing injury form in the accient and incident book and ammend it to 'condition'. Note down the phone calls and recommendations you have made and mums response. Also the fact that you pointed it out to the girls teacher at school. Then if it turns out to be Chicken pox or something else you are covered.

When the girl is collected tonight I would insist she sees the doctor before you take her again. I don't think this is an unreasonable request because of the open weepy nature of the spots. You have to safguard youself and family and all the other children in your care.

The other thing it could be is impetigo which has itchy weeping spots usually starting on the hands and spreading to other parets of the body as you scratch and it is EXTREMLY contageous.

You could ring the NCMA helpline but i'm not sure how helpful they would be.

nell57
05-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Oh dear

We've just had a bout of hand foot & mouth disease in my area, one of my mindees got it. The spots look similar to chickenpox but a lot smaller and it appears on the areas you've described. There is no exclusion with hf & m. But I did send the lo home and mum took him to the Dr's to confirm what is was, because I'd not seen it before, although had heard of it.

Hope mum does take lo to Dr's for you, obviously you dont want any thing that might be contagious in your setting.

amirose
05-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I have just spoken to mum and I have got a horrible feeling she is not going to take R to the doctors. I really emphasized that the spots were itching R and that she made just need some cream to sooth them and that we were not doctors and sometimes its good to go just for "peace of mind". I will be asking for an update and have done as rickysmiths suggested and filled out an existing injury form I managed to squeeze in that permission to take to school was granted.

Mollymop
05-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Bless the little girl! I wouldn't have thought it was excema (sp?) or you would have seen the spots before now.

It does sound like it could be impertigo.

I look after a 3 year old girl and last week mindee had 2 big sores on her face, she had one a few days before and then another one appeared right near her mouth, the other one on her cheek.
It was large enough for one of my friends to ask me what she had done to her face.

She told me it looks like impertigo and it is very infectious and not to itch it cos it spreads.

Then later on another person said the same thing to me.

So when mum came I told mum what I thought it was.

Mum never did take her to the docs as I asked the little girl, it has cleared up a bit, but when I last had her on Monday she was itching and picking her cheek and it was all red raw and bumpy looking.
Mum told her off for picking it and told her I would tell her off if I caught her doing it

But she won't take her to the docs! :mad:

childmind04
05-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Chicken pox is doing the rounds in our nursery, most of mine have had it, good luck :)

Allie
05-03-2009, 11:08 AM
I would insist she saw a doctor before returning the girl to you, you don't want other children or yourself infected. What ever it is it needs treatment/action of some kind. Not seeing a doctor could be verging on neglect

Allie

Bananabrain
05-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I would fill in the existing injury form in the accient and incident book and ammend it to 'condition'. Note down the phone calls and recommendations you have made and mums response. Also the fact that you pointed it out to the girls teacher at school. Then if it turns out to be Chicken pox or something else you are covered.

When the girl is collected tonight I would insist she sees the doctor before you take her again. I don't think this is an unreasonable request because of the open weepy nature of the spots. You have to safguard youself and family and all the other children in your care.

The other thing it could be is impetigo which has itchy weeping spots usually starting on the hands and spreading to other parets of the body as you scratch and it is EXTREMLY contageous.

You could ring the NCMA helpline but i'm not sure how helpful they would be.

I think ricky is right ,sound like impetigo to me too.

My mother always said that impetigo was caused by poor personal hygiene{although that may have been her just being b....y:laughing:

I thought cpox always started on the head/face.

Why can't these parents just take their children to docs? How difficult is it?

rickysmiths
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Bless the little girl! I wouldn't have thought it was excema (sp?) or you would have seen the spots before now.

It does sound like it could be impertigo.

I look after a 3 year old girl and last week mindee had 2 big sores on her face, she had one a few days before and then another one appeared right near her mouth, the other one on her cheek.
It was large enough for one of my friends to ask me what she had done to her face.

She told me it looks like impertigo and it is very infectious and not to itch it cos it spreads.

Then later on another person said the same thing to me.

She must take the child to the doctor because if it is impitago it is HIGHLY infectious and the child will need antibiotics to clear it up. I know I have had it and believe me if it is not treated it can be horrible. She should NOT come to your setting and if the school were aware of this they would probably ask the child to stay at home until the spots have dried up and gone.

So when mum came I told mum what I thought it was.

Mum never did take her to the docs as I asked the little girl, it has cleared up a bit, but when I last had her on Monday she was itching and picking her cheek and it was all red raw and bumpy looking.
Mum told her off for picking it and told her I would tell her off if I caught her doing it

But she won't take her to the docs! :mad:

She must take her it needs antibiotics to clear it up. It is HIGHLY contageous, I know because I had it when I was in my twenties. My employers banned me from work until it had cleared up - it took 3 weeks!!
My doctor told me to stay at home and avoid direct contact with others because it spreads so easily.

There is NO WAY I would have a child with impetigo in my house. If it was suspected I would insist the child was taken to the doctor to have it confirmed or not as the case may be but weeping open sores are a big NO, they need to be investigated they are not a natural part of childhood, what parent would not want to know what is was!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

sarah707
05-03-2009, 08:59 PM
There is NO WAY I would have a child with impetigo in my house. If it was suspected I would insist the child was taken to the doctor to have it confirmed or not as the case may be but weeping open sores are a big NO, they need to be investigated they are not a natural part of childhood, what parent would not want to know what is was!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I totally agree!

I have a child with chronic eczema in the house and impetigo means he will be hospitalised.

Not a thing to avoid treating.

Hope parents see sense... if it starts to crust, you must send the child home :(